Question for finding/modifying Apps to AMOLED Black

1. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 23, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 23, 2016 :
    Hello guys,

I've received my OP3 yesterday and am really, really happy with it. It's a great phone and I kind of took upon it because it wasn't restrictive in terms of software, so I can work on small projects for when it comes to Android as a hobby apart from my current studies.

Long story short, I've managed to unlock, root, install ElementalX Kernel next to OOS, and next step was to find as much true black-themed apps for my needs as possible (to keep those pesky pixels at sleep ^^). So far I've managed to have a black-ish WhatsApp via UWTE (and Xposed), but here's where it grinds to a halt:

1) FB messenger App - couldn't find a way to make black
    2) Browser - even though I tried a nice suggestion from a Reddit user, the Lightning browser, which will give you inverted sites but still try to keep the pictures in original color, there are problems for some sites so I'd really wish to see if there's a better option to have my oftenly-used sites themed black (like I do on my PC with CSS-styles for example).

I'm sure that with time there'll be more Apps that I'll have a great need to make black as well, but for now these two are the main concern.

I would love to hear your insights as I've been googling for some time now and getting tired.

2. Wahoux
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2016

3. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 23, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 23, 2016 :
    Just tried searching for RsBrowser and got two results from the same developer: Rbrowser and RSbrowser. The first displays in proper dark mode, but the one you suggested doesn't - anything I might be doing wrong? I just enabled night mode.

4. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Oct 23, 2016

Tokolozi , Oct 23, 2016 :
    nessenger migt be solvable with Metal for facebook

Wahoux likes this.
  5. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 26, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 26, 2016 :
    Thanks for commenting and sorry for the late reply. Sadly I wasn't clear that I'm only looking for a chat app and don't need the main battery hog experience. I tried searching here and there on the PlayStore, but no real luck so far. Only two apps I could find to have some sort of black themed UI were kind of rubbish.

6. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Oct 26, 2016

Tokolozi , Oct 26, 2016 :
    Metal.for facebook uses less battery then the normal facebook app and integrates messenger (so no 2 separate apps needed anymore)

7. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 26, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 26, 2016 :
    Again, I only need a chat client. Facebook's main platform takes additional battery and distracts way too much and I've decided to stay away from it as much as possible. But I need to chat with my friends once in a while.

8. elfuno
    Donut Oct 26, 2016

elfuno , Oct 26, 2016 :
    Before 3.2.7 I had numerous bugs and had to flash custom ROMs, but they are not as clean and stable as OxygenOS. Now I can recommend this method since I don't face random reboots anymore and most important, I love a stock full-black interface!
    What follows is a quick and fairly simplistic description of the steps you have to follow to get Black apps and interface, but I suggest to read thoroughly xda's threads if you find it hard to go ahead. With a quick Google search you can solve 99% of your theming issues.

If and only if you're rooted and you know what you're doing you can:
    1. install substratum, an app that lets you theme everything, like cyanogenmod theme engine, but with more control over which app you want to theme.
    2. Afterwards you have to download and flash themeable g-apps from team blackout's official website, I chose the One with Aroma installer, it lets you choose which apps become themeable.
    3. Download a good free theme like Domination Black theme, you can get most of your Google apps as well as WhatsApp in full Black fashion.
    It's a Great world, the Black world!

9. G_Bindas_Boy_Lalu_tcVY
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2016

10. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Jamal751 , Oct 27, 2016 :
    If you like small projects you could download the android source code and change the colours of apps yourself if you were up to the challenge

11. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 28, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 28, 2016 :
    Sounds like a great project. Didn't know what part of the OS was open-source, thanks for clearing that out.

P.S. somebody on reddit gave me a link to the FB chat app in black. If anybody needs it please feel free to reply. Installation was via a File Manager.

12. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 28, 2016

Jamal751 , Oct 28, 2016 :
    I would apreciate if you shared that link, so when i eventually get my OP3 shipped *sigh* i can check it out

13. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 28, 2016

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

14. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 28, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 28, 2016 :
    Thanks, looks like a very helpful post. I had some bad experience by using Xposed and trying to stay away from anything that might put additional algorithms to run alongside system - that, concerning Substratum. Maybe I'll read more into it and see how exactly it does its thing. Interesting workaround for WhatsApp on stock I found was to just set Background to a custom black image, so your chats are mostly covered in black, and I hardly leave the chat interface anyway. :) Once you go black...

15. rubik1
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2016

rubik1 , Oct 29, 2016 :
    There's a trick that i use with color inversion. I have a macro app that detects when certain apps that i have whitelisted is in focus, invert color turns on . It turns back off when the whitelisted app is no longer in focus. Invert color mostly turns all background black and color text. Only annoyance is that invert pictures looks bad. Try it and see, this way you don't need any custom apps.

16. meggamorty
    Froyo Oct 30, 2016

meggamorty , Oct 30, 2016 :
    Yeah I found it's useful for quick moments when you dont want to get blinded but the fact that it doesn't ignore pictures breaks the deal for me. RBrowser does it somehow. It looks kind of plain but for browsing it's the best I've found when it comes to auto-inversion.