Question of the week: What are the most important smartphone hardware features?

?

What are the most important smartphone hardware features? Choose 3!

Poll closed Nov 9, 2015.
  1. Really long battery life

71.8%
  2. High-resolution, top quality display

20.4%
  3. Super solid build quality, unique design

39.0%
  4. The best camera in the business

33.1%
  5. Fantastic audio quality

9.6%
  6. A thin phone

3.9%
  7. Cutting edge features (curved screen, type C, force touch etc)

11.3%
  8. Maximum performance (top spec CPU, GPU, RAM)

53.9%
  9. Durability (water proof, shatter proof etc)

23.2%
  10. Maximum LTE support (both at home and when roaming)

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjaniec
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

mjaniec , Nov 2, 2015 :
    It seems, "really long battery life" has a clear lead. And no wonder, what's the goal of heaving bleading lead features if you are unable to use them for the lack of juice ;)

BTW: I am really impressed by the battery life since I have upgraded to Marshmallow.

2. Infinity_N7
    Froyo Nov 2, 2015

3. LightningXIII
    Community Veteran Nov 2, 2015

4. waiholi
    Eclair Nov 2, 2015

5. carlward71
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

carlward71 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    If they are then judging by the votes the OP3 will have a 48,000 mAh solar powered battery, made out of Titanium and have an 8 gHz processor with 128gb of ram. Lol

6. nirmalkurienmathews
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

7. HaxxaN
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 2, 2015

HaxxaN , Nov 2, 2015 :
    1-Long battery life.
    2-super solid quality, unique design.
    2-maximum performance

8. OmarJomha
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

OmarJomha , Nov 2, 2015 :
    What good is a phone with poor battery life? It could have a SD 909 and 5GB of RAM with a 4K screen and super slim body... If it has a poor battery its just a really fancy rectangle unless you carry a charger everywhere you go.

I'd sacrifice thinness/design/screen res if it meant a phone could last almost all day on a single charge.

9. punkyguy
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

punkyguy , Nov 2, 2015 :
    I'm pretty utilitarian when I look at phones so I went for battery, build and durability

10. ratification

11. pbergonzi
    KitKat Nov 2, 2015

pbergonzi , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Good move Mike--now you're garnering some positive feedback.
    I wouldn't like to think though that I'd be picking 3 at the expense of the others.
    For me, it would be better if you allowed me to exclude 3 as being not quite as desirable, but desirable nonetheless. Also, if you extended the number we could select, you would get a more accurate idea of what is really important--for example all users of a 3 choice selection may exclude 1 identical choice regularly, a choice that you would instead see chosen regularly in a 5 choice selection.
    Also, a ranking poll might be more accurate, where people rank all of your choices in the order of preference.
    One minor flaw is that there is no way of establishing different groups of individuals, such as those who carry a phone because it's a way to stay in touch, and those who carry it to hack, so that your poll will provide a phone attractive to the largest user base, which from a corporate standpoint makes a lot of sense, but not provide a phone for other classes in your user base. We do know of course that regardless the outcome, you will do it as efficiently as possible, and at as low a cost. We now expect lower cost from you.
    For me, you'd have to provide a phone with all of those things, that I can tailor to my needs at my discretion--that will allow me to swap out thin-ness for durability when I need to, for example.
    Nonetheless, you've been doing fine so far, and I suspect you will continue.
    I am very anxious to see what the OP3 will bring.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

12. calsifer
    Eclair Nov 2, 2015

calsifer , Nov 2, 2015 :
    802.11ac support and hopefully all Wi-Fi latest protocols.
    please add it to the list.

13. mQkz
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

mQkz , Nov 2, 2015 :
    The OnePlus X looks like a great phone to me, much better than the snapdragon 810!

Looking forward to the future releases of OnePlus!

14. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 2, 2015

meatandy , Nov 2, 2015 :
    There are so many variables there Mike , cutting edge without the curved screen and the C type 3.0 would suit me just fine.

sfomin likes this.
  15. anzi2001
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

anzi2001 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    I need the longest battery life in the world...not the max capacity but the most SOT...by that it is seen how the rom is optimized too :D

16. IlCieco

IlCieco , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Wow... Exactly what I wanted to say. :cool::D

dsmonteiro likes this.
  17. TheMan_Aman
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

18. rjsimao
    Froyo Nov 2, 2015

rjsimao , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Interesting how much noise people did about the cutting edge features that OPT didn't have, and it only has 13.3% at the moment...
    People just really love to hate...
    That's why I love my OPT, a fair price for what is really important!

19. jpswer
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

jpswer , Nov 2, 2015 :
    1) Battery - because duhhhhhh what use is aa smartphone if it doesn't work all day.

2) Camera - I want a device I can rely on to carry instead of having to carry a separate camera

3) LTE coverage etc - because a strong fast signal.

I was torn because although performance is important I'm not bothered about having 24 cores or 10GB of RAM. All that matters is that it is smooth and runs all my apps. So top of the line specs aren't vital it's all about experience.

20. lenoelracso
    Honeycomb Nov 2, 2015