Question on profiles

1. ip9
    Gingerbread Jul 23, 2014

ip9 , Jul 23, 2014 :
    Hi,

I'm loving my new OPO but there is one thing that I wish I could do...

I don't get a good mobile signal at home, and this isn't my primary phone so I don't use it for voice calls.

Because of the poor signal, it seems mobile standby can drain my battery a bit, so I'd like to disable the cellular radio when connected to home wifi. I don't think this is possible in profiles or via tasker (without root), but can anyone who's a bit more of an expert here confirm please?

thanks

philip7881 likes this.
  2. nash859
    Jelly Bean Jul 23, 2014

3. sbenson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 23, 2014

sbenson , Jul 23, 2014 :
    Yes, this is absolutely possible with the built in profiles.

Here's what you need to do:
    1. Set up the default profile
      • For connection overrides, tap Mobile data, then enable, ok, then check the box for Mobile data.
      • At the bottom of the screen, tap the GPS icon, tap on your wifi in the list, and set it to "on disconnect."
    2. Now, we set up your home profile
      • For connection overrides, Mobile date should be defaulted to disable, so all you need to do is check the box
      • Again, at the bottom of the screen, tap the GPS icon, tap on your wifi in the list, and set it to "on connect."
    That's all. What I did in step one was set up a profile to re-enable your data when you leave your house. Step two disables your data when you return home. Pretty simple.

If I glazed over anything or something doesn't make sense, please feel free to ask questions.

DrJMun likes this.
  4. ip9
    Gingerbread Jul 24, 2014

ip9 , Jul 24, 2014 :
    Hi, thanks, but isn't that just going to turn off mobile data, not the cellular radio altogether though?

5. sbenson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 24, 2014

sbenson , Jul 24, 2014 :
    Ok, sorry, I see what you're saying now. The built in profiles cannot do what you need them to, but Tasker can.

Do you have Tasker by any chance? If you do, I can show you how to set up your profiles and tasks to get this working.

Edit: I just saw your note about not having root. I'm not sure about this. I could show you how I would set it up and you could test if it would work without root. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014