Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Jan 24, 2019

Carl, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Hi friends,

We're currently looking at new ways to offer our users HDR streaming on our devices. Would you be open to us preloading a popular app stub (an icon that leads to Play Store) for the purposes of supporting HDR streaming?

While we can't reveal further details yet, we would love to get your opinion at this early stage. We want to be as transparent as possible on this as we have promised our software will be clean and free of bloatware, and we are keen to continue working closely with our community for better product experiences.

Here are the pros and cons we can share so far:
    • Pros 1: Offer HDR streaming, which can offer our users a higher quality streaming experience.
    • Pros 2: Unleash the full potential of our future smartphone hardware.
    • Cons: An app stub (an icon that leads to Play Store) will be preloaded, and it cannot be uninstalled.
    What do you think? Cast your vote [HERE] and let us know why in the comment section below.

Thank you.

2. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jan 25, 2019

Stickied Post
    David Y., Jan 25, 2019 :
    Hi everyone, we take this question seriously, so in order to have clear data pointing to how our community stands on it, we replaced a new form emphasizing the "could NOT be uninstalled" message. The previous form has been closed and saved for reference.

Plus, HDR streaming requires support both from hardware side and content providers side. Here we are talking about whether our future smartphone should support HDR streaming in this popular app.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

3. YRJ KitKat Jan 24, 2019

YRJ, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Anytime, yes! ;)
    I may have jumped the gun. Read below to understand HDR :)

EDIT:
    What is HDR?
    HDR stands for high dynamic range meaning a high contrast between the lightest and darkest parts of an image.
    On smartphone screens that means pumping up the brightness on the parts of an image that are meant to be bright, while keeping dark colours dim.

There are 2 forms of HDR for smartphones,
    Visually HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
    Dolby Vision is the best as it has a higher peak brightness of 10,000 nits and greater colour depth of 12 Bits compared to HDR10 which has 4,000 nits brightness and 10Bits colour. So as the figures suggest Dolby Vision is the best!

Which phones support HDR?
    Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Google's entire pixel lineup, LG and Sony phones.

What kinda HDR phone do you need ?
    Big screen is a must and looking at the biggest one, IPhone Xs Max is the biggest with OnePlus phones behind by a small margin (when they start supporting HDR)

What services support HDR ?
    YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Itunes support it but not entirely only a selection of it look for the HDR tag in the video/content descreption.

What do I need for HDR to work?
    A supported device, HDR content and a super fast and big bounty of internet data.

What is this HDR stub @Carl is talking about?
    This is a tie-up with an app developing company where a stub "link to google play app" will be added, this is required to be kept as "uninstallable" as that is what the developer demands. "Business" comes into play here.
    but hey! if it improves your experience, its okay. isn't it? well that question is the purpose of this thread.
    and you have something of your own, Opinion! thats what @Carl wants from you!
    right @Carl ? its okay, you wont reply ;)

These were my 2 cents, that I gathered from the internet reading and trying to understand. I may be wrong, don't hesitates to correct me. :)

I love the part where you said "Transparent"

Never Settle.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

4. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

GopalB., Jan 24, 2019 :
    Nope... No pre loaded app please!!!

Edit 1: So only those "popular" apps will support HRD???

Edit 2: Need a "Maybe" in second question!!!

5. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 24, 2019 :
    No pre loaded apps. Let us keep the OS the way it is meant to be. Clean.
    And why exactly is an app needed for streaming HDR videos?

6. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

GopalB., Jan 24, 2019 :
    That's the main question!!!
    Why do you need an preinstalled app for HRD???

7. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

Plenkske, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Probably the requirement of that app ...

GSVTech, mojoyoyo77, YRJ and 4 others like this.
  8. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2019

rameshshreyas, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Nope. Firstly, streaming such high quality content requires a high bandwidth internet connection and most of time they use their mobile network connection. HDR streaming is unnecessary.

9. the_reckoner Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2019

10. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

GopalB., Jan 24, 2019 :
    So all other companies depend on pre installed apps for HDR???

11. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 24, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 24, 2019 :
    The Pixel 3 XL supports HDR without any stub that cannot be uninstalled.

Can you please elaborate why the OnePlus devices need one?

12. otto2 Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

otto2, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Most probably the app itself contains DRM encryption keys, without the keys you cannot watch the HDR content. Remember the L1 wide vine Szenario on OP5?

My decision is NO!
    Reason:Don t want third party s software preloaded. Google is bad enough.
    This could also lead to a locked bootloader, since a user with root could try to extract the keys and to share /crack them.

13. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Jan 24, 2019

Shivang Joshi, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Sorry but, NO. A huge NO.

14. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

Plenkske, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Apps usually have the setting that it only works on wifi (by default), which the user can change.

I have no idea.
    Remember HDR is a totally different thing from Full HD and 4k.

I guess the app or app stub gets removed once you unlock the bootloader. Like with the widevine level.

PradeepMaradi, sommersy, YRJ and 6 others like this.
  15. Mr_Cyrox KitKat Jan 24, 2019

Mr_Cyrox, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Sure why not...
    But if we can't uninstall it I'm 100% against this

I'm pretty sure there is no reason as to why we shouldn't be able to uninstall it

16. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 24, 2019

17. Adam Krisko KitKat Community Expert Jan 24, 2019

Adam Krisko, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Hi Carl,

I would prefer nothing be preinstalled on my device but google applications, I like setting up my device the way I want to, not having a company dictate what is on my device especially if I don't subscribe to said service (Ie, Netflix or Hulu or the like). Please just keep Oxygen as clean as possible.

Besides at a screen that is only 6-ish inches and (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) can't reach the actual brightness needed for true HDR video output, let alone actually be needed.

Phones are (sadly) just media consumption devices and are sold on marketing spec wars it seems now. I for one, am sure I don't need "HDR" content on a screen that small.

18. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 24, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Screenshot_2019-01-24 Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming (1).png
    Another thing, @Carl. The way this is elaborated, it makes people vote "Yes" on the first option because they think the app can be uninstalled - that is not mentioned at all. It's only on the second question it's mentioned it can't.

Is this so you can write on Twitter that "XX% of our community voted they are open to the preloading of the app"?

Because that only tells half of the story.

19. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Was thinking the same. The question and answers are ambiguous.

20. PuCiNhOOO Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

PuCiNhOOO, Jan 24, 2019 :
    I cant see how bad it would be to have an extra app, if it could provide me a way better experience in case of usage! Space is more than enough and all the launchers now support hidding non Wanted icon apps . . But who am I to judge?

I voted yes!

21. Adam Krisko KitKat Community Expert Jan 24, 2019

Adam Krisko, Jan 24, 2019 :
    lol Haha, marketing ploys are fun..

drmartin, nirgale, Deepak.Si and 7 others like this.