Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jan 24, 2019

dam76, cdnfarmer and meatandy like this.
  2. JohnS
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

JohnS , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I first replied when it was middle of the night with only 50% brain function and can't get the idea correctly. My first impression was "No". However when read again with clear head, I am kind of ok with the idea, with suggestion. Following is my reason:

1. It is only a stub, an icon that will open Google Play to that app. So we still decide installing or not.
    2. I think I personally over react a bit when I see anything "pre-install ...". As I was frustrated with other vendors' devices with tones of pre-install apps that cannot be uninstalled. (Samsung anyone??)
    Suggestions:

Instead of a stub/icon. Maybe create a minimalistic app, that will hold those links. As there maybe more in the future. Instead of a bunch of stub icons all over the screen, just centralize them inside one app.

Call it "Oneplus Suggest" or something, and it can pull update from oneplus server from time to time, maybe once per week, or when we open it manually. I think I can trust oneplus with that one extra app :)

This also avoid ota update purely for updating stub, that will be nuts, lol!!

Tarun_334 likes this.
  3. EatMyVolts
    Donut Jan 24, 2019

EatMyVolts , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I truly dislike uninstallable apps. Particularly when they are not essential to the operation of the phone. The 6T is my first OnePlus, I was attracted by the bang for the buck and by the lack of bloat. Please don't change either.

dam76 likes this.
  4. shoynn
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

shoynn , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Why not just let the user decide if they want to go to the play store and download an HDR streaming app on their own? One of the things that I love about OnePlus is that they don't have a lot of crap baked in, even on my T-Mobile variant 6T. If there is an app I want, I go get it. I don't like unwanted/unnecessary crap on my phone. Especially if the designer of a 3rd party app says so. They don't own my phone, I do.

dam76 likes this.
  5. G_Akil_Akku_wxCx
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

6. rahulmm
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

rahulmm , Jan 25, 2019 :
    HDR on TV/Video isn't just about Brightness/Contrast like it is on smartphones, it is also (and mostly) about Color.

HDR streams come with metadata (meaning more bandwidth needed) (sometimes static, sometimes dynamic (needing even more bandwidth), depending on the HDR standard). This metadata directs the display to increase or decrease vibrance at almost a pixel level for every frame. To make use of this metadata, the screen has to shift to an HDR mode and be able to follow the directions from the metadata.

This means the display must have a very very wide color gamut. There can be a million shades of red, and the screen must be able to show all of them on order to follow the directions on the metadata.

Dynamic metadata (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) changes the metadata sent for future frames based on logs of the past frames to improve video quality as you go. This means there's a lot of frame by frame changing metadata that gets transmitted and received. The metadata sequencing used can vary from TV to TV based on the how wide their color gamuts are. It could vary from time to time on the same TV for the same program, when viewed in different modes, or of your Internet connection behavior changes.

A given display will only display through HDR standards it can support. Not all TVs/phones have Dolby Vision or HDR10+. But these consume significant amount of data over HDR10 and HLG which mostly use static metadata on any display.

In summary, HDR video is all about Colors (including black and white which help with contrast and brightness). A good display can blow your mind. Smoke some weed and watch a Dolby Vision supported music stream on an LG OLED TV and you will have the greatest time of your life.

drmartin and Adam Krisko like this.
  7. G_the_txrris_OVYX
    Froyo Jan 25, 2019

8. RomeoD
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

9. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

10. Rakesh_Kumar_T
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2019

11. Romanelo
    Froyo Jan 25, 2019

12. vijayent_yella
    Eclair Jan 25, 2019

vijayent_yella , Jan 25, 2019 :
    any link or stub which sends us to a third party app is a big no , but if given a chance to uninstall it in the future I guess its okay .

13. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Jan 25, 2019

cdnfarmer , Jan 25, 2019 :
    Simply No. After considering the description, the potential advantages (minimal for my perspective) and disadvantages... I believe that the phone should NOT have any additional non necessary apps even an app stub.

Yes HDR may be nice but like others pointed out is it necessary on a small screen and requires more bandwidth. Hence more data. When you live in a remote area, it's something that may not even be possible. Even if one has a 5G phone (and allow for faster speed) before the infrastructure is fully working or supported everywhere will take time.

And again, importantly, the clean OS is key. It is OnePlus Oxygen OS strength. I recently used a phone that has lots of its proprietary and modifications on stock Android OS. At that point, I realize how much I missed OOS and had even better appreciation of my OnePlus, bloatware free phone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

dam76 and buntycubal like this.
  14. Pankkajarora
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

Pankkajarora , Jan 25, 2019 :
    OP devices do not come with the preloaded applications is the beauty about the operating system and credit goes to the team only.

keep it clean don't make the user experience like Xiaomi devices.

15. Irfanmd21
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

Irfanmd21 , Jan 25, 2019 :
    It doesn't matter if you have voted yes or no. They are gonna proceed with this just like the removal of 3.5mm jack on 6t even when 80% voted yes for 3.5mm jack.

Just my opinion though.....[e]1f601[/e]

dam76 and peaky blinders like this.
  16. rahulmm
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

rahulmm , Jan 25, 2019 :
    You guys do understand that the stub is like sponsorship. It is in this particular case for improvement of experience. There are basic apps Clock & Calculator that I'd like to uninstall so I can use the Play Store versions from Google that gets updates regularly and gets improvements time to time.

Personally, if the best way to get HDR functional, while keeping costs low means to add a stupid stub that can't be uninstalled, it's no big deal. It's only a link to the Play Store version of the app and not the whole app itself. It could be considered as a part of the OS itself rather than anything else.

17. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jan 25, 2019

YRJ , Jan 25, 2019 :
    Isn't that similar to what I wrote?

18. rahulmm
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

rahulmm , Jan 25, 2019 :

YASHPLUSONE.

Isn't that similar to what I wrote?​

Yes. I just elaborated. And made note that it's more about colors than anything else. AMOLED displays are the best playgrounds for HDR content.

I know I may never receive the functionality on my phone, this discussion is purely gonna be about their future devices. The hardware displays on all current OnePlus devices aren't quite there.

YRJ likes this.
  19. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jan 25, 2019

YRJ , Jan 25, 2019 :
    Ohhkk,Thanks :)
    Yes, I think this has something to do with their new TV and next smartphone, together.

20. cybersa
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

cybersa , Jan 25, 2019 :
    Does app stub will collect any other data other than leads to Play Store?
    If no, then no issue.

Tarun_334 likes this.