Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. G_abhishek_kr_czYH Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

2. Tarun_334 Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

3. SgGokul Eclair Jan 25, 2019

4. Jalex_h Froyo Jan 25, 2019

Jalex_h, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Ok, One+ is considering to place an unremovable stub. I find it a very bad idea.
    Why? Well, I don't know how it will behave. Will it have acces to my contacts, my way of surfing, my pics, etc? Will it store and sell those data? Say, it doesn't now, who guarantees that it doesn't in the future? How will the app behave after some time? Will it turn out to be a troyan horse after an update and popping up ads? Accepting this stub means accepting those risks. And when it's turning into a direction I don't like, I'll have to buy another phone instead of removing the stub. Do I want to take that risk? No!

5. aleeone Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

aleeone, Jan 25, 2019 :
    I can understand the commercial essence of the proposed arrangement but isn't it more important to keep the commercial success of OnePlus generated by its bloatware free OS.

Oneone

6. Nirudha Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

Nirudha, Jan 25, 2019 :
    This may have been asked before but in case it wasn't: how does the pre installed none removable app stub benefit the end-user?

is it just easy Discovery of a service that provides HDR? can we also get HDR video via youtube, Netflix, prime video etc on this future phone by just installing those apps ourself?

does it reduce the cost of the device because they pay OnePlus to preload the app stub? or do we get cheaper access to that service in devices with the app stub installed?

also, is it restricted to certain regions and would the stub be only pre installed in those regions?

I'd need to know before I can answer.

7. Ajdroid270 Donut Jan 25, 2019

Ajdroid270, Jan 25, 2019 :
    While, I think, it's sad that you're considering preloading an app stub,I also think it's good that you're asking people for their opinion and not just dropping the bomb on them out of nowhere and rationalising it by saying "it's all for you guys". Atleast, you guys know where to draw the line. Keep it up.

8. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jan 25, 2019

Stickied Post
    David Y., Jan 25, 2019 :
    Hi everyone, we take this question seriously, so in order to have clear data pointing to how our community stands on it, we replaced a new form emphasizing the "could NOT be uninstalled" message. The previous form has been closed and saved for reference.

Plus, HDR streaming requires support both from hardware side and content providers side. Here we are talking about whether our future smartphone should support HDR streaming in this popular app.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

9. YahyaMoin.25 Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

YahyaMoin.25, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Yes , please bring it ASAP.

I don't mind having an extra app.

Will this will be coming on oneplus 6t??

10. damncared Donut Jan 25, 2019

damncared, Jan 25, 2019 :
    this is much needed at this point.
    it's 2k19 so we deserve something better than before :D I reckon

11. Andrew Garfield Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2019

12. elanglois Lollipop Jan 25, 2019

elanglois, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Something smells fishy.

Many of us can already view HDR on our devices using the hacked YouTube app. We know YouTube and Netflix support HDR. We have the hardware. We have the software. What is this extra app supposed to be and why is the developer demanding that it not be uninstallable? What does said developer gain by this? There is something very wrong here

keybladehero and buntycubal like this.
  13. elanglois Lollipop Jan 25, 2019

Why do you need this app if another phone doesn't need it?

14. ming3r Eclair Jan 25, 2019

ming3r, Jan 25, 2019 :
    I'd be in favor of disabling it / uninstalling it, but stubs have left a pretty bad taste (see Facebook on Samsung phones) in peoples mouths lately

Adam Krisko likes this.
  15. handheld_addict Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

handheld_addict, Jan 25, 2019 :
    I suppose it's a slippery slope to "bloatware" that we're all sensitive to, but in this instance I'd be very ok to it because the benefits are really worth it.

16. aberamati Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

aberamati, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Can you please explain how literally *every other* Android OEM (and Apple) manage to have HDR support on all these services without any need for pre-installed apps or “stubs”? This is simply a blatant lie, putting ads in Oxygen OS and telling people it’s “necessary” in order to enable HDR... BS!

iNtEnSePL likes this.
  17. nick_k Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

nick_k, Jan 25, 2019 :
    OOS should and must be kept clean from junkware. No preloaded apps.

18. zaherhoulayhel Froyo Jan 25, 2019

19. YahyaMoin.25 Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

YahyaMoin.25, Jan 25, 2019 :
    The phones that provide app without it charge 800$ for their phone s.

20. elanglois Lollipop Jan 25, 2019

That has no bearing whatsoever on what this app is supposed to do and why we need it.

You got a point?

aberamati likes this.