Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. SantoshKenjalkar Donut Jan 25, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar, Jan 25, 2019 :
    No, can't get better continues connectivity & speed in India. How can we get benefits from hdr. And it's a small display on mobile as compared with television, for such clearity to be visible and enjoy. Instead use such features on OnePlus TV's.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  2. aberamati Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

aberamati, Jan 25, 2019 :
    The realities of the business world David was talking about is OnePlus getting paid by these streaming companies to per-install their apps as bloatware on our devices and Lying to us telling us it’s “necessary” in oder to enable HDR which is a total BS since every other OEM has HDR support without need for any dirty tricks

Nirudha and Abhi Dahiya like this.
  3. qu4nd Donut Jan 25, 2019

qu4nd, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Since I don't have a strong need for HDR streaming on my phone, I would rather prefer not to have couple of those uninstallable shortcuts

Samurai jack 007 likes this.
  4. Danish_iam Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

Danish_iam, Jan 25, 2019 :
    I think it's need of the moment and OnePlus is taking an initiative. I'm in and hope it's for all the devices not only for 6 and 6T.

5. Huigiebaby Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

Huigiebaby, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Possibly OP does not want to make the phone more expensive and dodge paying for licenses by using an app stub. Makes sense, users win, free HDR, jeej...

6. Rafael Sequeira Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

7. abhibnl Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2019

abhibnl, Jan 25, 2019 :
    It would serve no purpose for people who don't use any HDR streaming apps such as Netflix or Amazon Prime, especially in India, since those are the only 2 apps we have here for premium streaming. I have seen other flagship phones supporting HDR streaming as Netflix certifies those devices officially as HDR supported. Why do you need to create an app stub to get the same feature? Instead, ask that app organization to license your device as HDR certified because you will obviously include HDR capable hardware in the device itself.

8. GSVTech Froyo Jan 25, 2019

GSVTech, Jan 25, 2019 :
    if OnePlus supports 5G then I'll think about it

9. GSVTech Froyo Jan 25, 2019

GSVTech, Jan 25, 2019 :
    hmm... I'll go for it if OnePlus phone supports 5G...

10. DenyDarko Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

11. suraj1595 Froyo Jan 25, 2019

12. manojgupta1992 Froyo Jan 25, 2019

manojgupta1992, Jan 25, 2019 :
    No bloatware please. That's one of the main positive differentiator of Oxygen OS from others. Don't change that now.

If necessary, open in case there will be option to uninstall though. Not supportive but open.

13. AdrianFischer Gingerbread Jan 25, 2019

AdrianFischer, Jan 25, 2019 :
    The app is not needed for the HDR.
    It's a promotional thing. The software developper that will provide the HDR support they have business with other app developpers. They will provide the HDR service to OnePlus ONLY in exchange if they can place this stub/app on OnePlus phones, like advertising.
    e.g. you will see a PUBG app on your phone now. So maybe 5% of all OnePlus users will click on it -> boost in users for PUBG -> more money for PUBG -> they pay the HDR software developer for the business deal.

14. boidsonly Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

boidsonly, Jan 25, 2019 :
    Speaking from the USA, no. 1) Carriers throttle/don't provide high bandwidth. If they did, it would be hugely expensive.
    2) The appeal of the One Plus is the minimalist OS/UI. 3) Licensing Dolby HDR would just add to the cost of the phone, directly and indirectly. So, no, I don't see a need for it.

15. L1548452245859 Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

L1548452245859, Jan 25, 2019 :
    No way!
    I install by myself any app that I need.
    I don't want any app and any personalization on my phone, including also Oxygen!
    I buy a phone just for its hardware, any software on top of AOSP and GoogleApps is just
    annoyance.

16. Kartik √ Froyo Jan 25, 2019

17. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 26, 2019

An.I.Am, Jan 26, 2019 :
    I for one am completely on board at least it has advantages for the user.

I cannot understand some people, if you’re so against preloaded apps why are you ok with the Google Apps? I for one hate every single one of them and don’t use them, as soon as the phone is set up I deactivate them, I don’t want them on my launcher and for sure I don’t want them feeding more data to our big brother Big G.
    The answer is simple, because they have a purpose, giving you the Play Store and the blessing from Google, other than that they do not bring any more value to the user, I think is the same with this stub, at least it’ll bring benefits to some users.

aetha likes this.
  18. Nirudha Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

Nirudha, Jan 26, 2019 :
    what percentage of OnePlus users would you expect to not use the Google apps vs the percentage that would actually sign up for the HDR video service they bundle?

the Google play bundle is part of the current Android experience. third party promotional services, say prime video, or something like MacDonald fast food app (just kidding), are much more niche so in my opinion would constitute bloating of the OS.

19. Desai_Jay Froyo Jan 26, 2019

Desai_Jay, Jan 26, 2019 :
    no keep the os the way it is, no bloatware please. If included keep an option to uninstall completely...

Samurai jack 007 likes this.
  20. Diablosis Eclair Jan 26, 2019

Diablosis, Jan 26, 2019 :
    if it means otherwise not having hdr streaming I would definitely want to have it since right now I can't get Netflix in hdr on my 6t but my wife can on her note 9 . I would really want to be able to uninstall it though. No need to ruin the experience OnePlus offers with bloatware.

aetha and Samurai jack 007 like this.