Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. Nirudha Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

Nirudha, Jan 26, 2019 :
    what we really need is to understand what it would take to be able to support HDR in multiple services like Netflix, prime and future services like Marvel etc.

also how much of a difference is it on a phone screen? do you guys watch a lot of content and notice a huge difference on the phone?

2. Diablosis Eclair Jan 26, 2019

Diablosis, Jan 26, 2019 :
    I consume all my video content on my phone. So yeah I would love for everything to be as HDR as possible.

aetha and Nirudha like this.
  3. Diablosis Eclair Jan 26, 2019

aetha likes this.
  4. Syamlal Krishnan Donut Jan 26, 2019

Syamlal Krishnan, Jan 26, 2019 :
    all in for HDR streaming but don't make it uninstallable. We prefer oxygen is because it's clean and we have more control. so don't do anything stupid

Samurai jack 007 likes this.
  5. Samurai jack 007 Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

Samurai jack 007, Jan 26, 2019 :
    please don't add the list of things which we can't be uninstall because it reduces freedom of choice of the users where even their is no content available in all platforms of media ,I really appreciate if there was choice for thing that I can do on my phone or device s

6. drmartin Lollipop Moderator Jan 26, 2019

drmartin, Jan 26, 2019 :
    At the end of the day, if this mystery app stub is put on the phones, it will be just like my iPad, where some Apple apps can't be installed... I create a folder called "Garbage" and keep them all tucked away in it. ;-p

7. Intruder71 Lollipop Jan 26, 2019

Intruder71, Jan 26, 2019 :
    We don't get many Google apps I feel the same about crappy oneplus apps they ALL get deleted or disabled... You haven't been here long have you so don't realise the importance to make clean rom with little bloat... You need a samsung phone..

otto2 likes this.
  8. aris Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2019

9. aetha Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

aetha, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Screw this purist noise. It's a stub. It does nothing if you don't touch it. Also heck YES do I want HDR video. Just please make it possible to disable the app in Settings.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019

10. YahyaMoin.25 Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

YahyaMoin.25, Jan 26, 2019 :
    We are seeing 1080p phones from OnePlus since OnePlus one. Now OnePlus is planning to bring HDR display to it's phone. Which would surely up it's display game .

It's better to support initiative made by OnePlus. One extra app stub would not change the minimal clean interface of OnePlus.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019

11. aetha Cupcake Jan 26, 2019

aetha, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Actually I do have one concern. What are the privacy ramifications for this app? Both as a stub, and properly installed. I want to know what third party is getting access to what data. I think this is the real issue here.

12. Alooof Donut Jan 26, 2019

Alooof, Jan 26, 2019 :
    A clear no from me. HDR as a standard should not be hidden behind a proprietary gateway and should be supported on OS level for all services. I assume you suggest that we would only be able to watch HDR via some kind of a data collecting app. Stay away from bloatware, you already have a privacy problem on your hands.

13. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jan 26, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jan 26, 2019 :
    I have a similar drawer, where I keep my iPad

No I don't, I gave it to my parents but any excuse to bash Apple for no reason.

Intruder71 and TibiTibi like this.
  14. huxley1t Gingerbread Jan 26, 2019

huxley1t, Jan 26, 2019 :
    1. Many phone maker does not require reload app intorder to enable HDR, why OnePlus need this step to enable HDR?
    2. In user experience standpoint, any 3rd party app(non Google suite or from OnePlus) that are preloaded and can not be uninstall is considered a bloatware. No user want bloatware in their phone, an app shortcut is no exceptions.
    3. If this is the only options, please consider asking Crayon and it's UX team to do some user testing to determine which app is most used by users.
    中文回答:
    请不要把国内的全家桶行为带到国外,虽然一加是国内公司但是也请您们用国外用户的角度看待这个问题。在国内很多厂商自带捆绑包不是因为用户想要而是因为我们麻木了,习惯了,说了等于白说。但是在国外这可能是对其公司的一个污点。在您们的眼里可能这方案的起点是给用户更好的体验,但是处理的方式错了,您们选择了走捷径搞捆绑。我在上次旧金山的Open ear就跟Crayon谈过类似的问题,一加的卖点之一除了价格也就是系统了,因为系统是目前来说最干净整洁的安卓系统。如果您们起了这个步就会有下一次忽略用户体验的决定。我个人觉得HDR这个问题是跟软件厂商沟通,而不是要用户来负担代价。

15. PTuT Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2019

PTuT, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Definitely, it sounds fishy...smells like $$$ are involved somewhere. Definitely, clarification is needed so we don't have to guess (correctly or not) intentions behind this.

Intruder71 and otto2 like this.
  16. RajtheOpfan Donut Jan 26, 2019

RajtheOpfan, Jan 26, 2019 :
    NO NO NO ITS A BIG NO, Oxygen Os has earned it's reputation for being clean let's keep it clean as it is!

otto2 likes this.
  17. PokiX Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2019

PokiX, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Dumb question: why do companies want to make apps impossible to uninstall. I mean, technically and financially I fail to understand.
    People not interested will just not launch the app. Isn't that equivalent to uninstalling?
    Unless a services sweeping my data?
    Or stating "our app installed on 10 millions phones" ?

Sorry if that has been already discussed. I read quite a lot but not all ..

Stealth777 and otto2 like this.
  18. PokiX Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2019

PokiX, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Two main things make the world turn around. The first one being $$$...

TheAyushJain and otto2 like this.
  19. PTuT Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2019

PTuT, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Yup.

otto2 likes this.
  20. BooleanCorp Donut Jan 26, 2019

BooleanCorp, Jan 26, 2019 :
    Exactly this. It would lead to a less open system.
    That IS the definition of SETTLING.

otto2 likes this.