Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. Pankaj_88
    Froyo Jan 28, 2019

Pankaj_88 , Jan 28, 2019 :
    I am okay with preloaded app if it's light and does not interfere with boot time.
    As far as uninstallable option, give the freedom to the user and reward him for choosing yes.
    on a new device, if the customer agrees to have an uninstallable app you either reduce the price of handset or give him credits which he can utilize on Amazon or oneplus store. And on an existing Device give him store credits or guaranteed x% buy back.

once you enter a subsidy model, you will definitely get takers.
    but whatever you do decide please don't push ads like the new Xiomi phones.

2. manojgupta1992
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2019

manojgupta1992 , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Waiting to see them include it anyway against community's will. Just like they removed headphone jack even when 70% of the community voted against removing it lol

3. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

Intruder71 , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Don't forget sending our personal info to some dodgy Chinese company without our permission that also got voted down in a poll

4. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jan 28, 2019

Gav_W86 , Jan 28, 2019 :
    no, just a stub icon in the drawer.

5. N1545062553235
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2019

6. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

Go away you got a reply in your redundant post

Liehjan likes this.
  7. lutti
    KitKat Jan 28, 2019

lutti , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Well if it in fact is like that why didn't they say so? I don't think it's a problem if we have some piece of code that launches a quick ad when ever we click on netflix on something. Then again why wouldn't they just come out and ask us if we would be bothered to have a quick ad on the launch of streaming services for them to pay the licenses? But they have been raising the price of the phones with every model and it's not mid-priced anymore so i wouldn't be ok for them to cheap out like this.

8. AdrianFischer
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2019

AdrianFischer , Jan 28, 2019 :
    that is how I understood this bit of information that they provided in the thread starter. Because technically why would it be required to have an app stub (a link to an app) in the launcher for the HDR feature? So either HDR requires software but then you can either bake it into OxygenOS itself and make it invisible for the end user or it requires maybe some app but this here isn't even an app so it serves no function at all.
    So why is it needed? Because the HDR software dev will give OnePlus some discount because it's like advertising.
    I don't understand it, too, why they don't phrase it out more clearly. The whole thing is pretty cryptic and it's unclear if that what I say is truth or not. But this is the only way I understand it that makes sense
    And yeah the prices are increasing so I don't understand why this is necessary.

As a reasonable compromise I'd say OnePlus should do it but make it possible to uninstall it. That way they still made the advertising but we can remove it if it's too annoying.

9. lutti
    KitKat Jan 28, 2019

lutti , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Yeah the way you understood it would make sense but as i said there is no reason why they wouldn't just tell us if that's what they mean. I don't use any streaming services on my phone because it's a phone. I on the other hand understand that kids these days do. OnePlus must get more profits from their regular business these days because the phones cost about 100% more that they used to and even with the initial pricing they grew the company into at least 100 times of it's size in just around a year so for them asking this from us is just cheap shot at us. I wouldn't want to have them to cheap out on this on our expense.

10. An.I.Am
    Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 28, 2019

An.I.Am , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Really? What's the definition of many? 20/30? Because we get 11!

I have been here since the beginning when we had COS, also when they first preloaded Swiftkey just because, what advantages brought to the users over the AOSP keyboard?
    From that era let’s also remember MaxxAudio, Boxer (I really liked it though), or MOD.
    And If I remember correctly we also got Swiftkey and MaxxAudio on the OOS for a while.

11. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

Err it's CAF based not AOSP sigh....

12. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

elanglois likes this.
  13. C1537880140571
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2019

14. Tobikage
    Nougat Jan 28, 2019

Tobikage , Jan 28, 2019 :
    You can most definitely buy a phone without Google Apps.

Comparing the inclusion of Google Apps to some stupid shady potentially data leeching stub all for "HDR" on a 1080p phone screen is just plain dumb.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

Liehjan and Intruder71 like this.
  15. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

Nail and head!
    Don't know why your surprised about mods spouting rubbish it's not a new thing and should learn to stay out of technical stuff because most of them don't have a clue...

Tobikage likes this.
  16. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

Plus with it being CAF this rom isn't built with any Google apps, they are an addition like gapps in a custom rom (but that's for other reasons)

17. AdrianFischer
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2019

I am not sure if I get the discussion correctly so please excuse if I'm not.
    I can understand why apps like Swiftkey got included because they are really providing an improved user experience compared to stock AOSP keyboard. But this stub that we're now talking about is just doing nothing, it's similar to bloatware.

18. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

It's not stock it's added as the rom is CAF based

19. AdrianFischer
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2019

ah ok but still the point of my post is still unchanged: OnePlus should make it clear that the preloaded stub is advertisement only and that it doesn't server any purpose apart from that.

elanglois likes this.
  20. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jan 28, 2019

They should forget it but they won't as I reckon they are earning out of it just the same as caller identification scam...