Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. Akhilesh_Raja_Rocco Eclair Jan 29, 2019

Akhilesh_Raja_Rocco, Jan 29, 2019 :
    cool bro.. lets see what OP team will finally do by reading all the inputs

manangupta2001 likes this.
  2. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 29, 2019

An.I.Am, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Yes, but at the time you could install swiftkey from the playstore, you can't get the HDR feature anywere else.

Are you even remotely aware of how much data Google collects from the phones using those apps? The only thing close to it are facebook’s apps. The funny thing is that the stub I think (and hope) can be disabled and that’s it, good luck trying to disable Google Play Service how many apps depend on it.

Also, just saying that something is stupid is not an argumentation.

manangupta2001 likes this.
  3. cjg83 Cupcake Jan 29, 2019

cjg83, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Anything can uninstalled at anytime. That's what Titanium Backup is for.

4. Prime Saiyan Eclair Jan 29, 2019

5. Mike_Davies56 Cupcake Jan 29, 2019

6. G_srikesh_kutty_WEyC Cupcake Jan 29, 2019

7. DionisisKos Honeycomb Jan 29, 2019

8. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 29, 2019

An.I.Am, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Were did I said otherwise?
    What did I get wrong?

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  9. brian.sedore Gingerbread Jan 29, 2019

brian.sedore, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Seems to be the same concept: software that can't be deleted. It'd be nice to have the option. If there are people who volunteer for it, ok, but don't make it mandatory.

10. TheRealProcyon Jelly Bean Jan 29, 2019

TheRealProcyon, Jan 29, 2019 :
    These apps are okay but a stub is primarily unnecessary. Many apps on OOS are alright and there's no unnecessary often unused clutter like on Samsung devices (such as the upcoming Crypto currency wallet).

11. ShawnWager Cupcake Jan 29, 2019

ShawnWager, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Okay, so we're looking to venture into HDR streaming. And this "utility" is necessary for it to work, right? This company seems like they are just looking for celebrity publicity by having OnePlus owners showing off tech that's niether new nor accessable without their utility.

12. brian.sedore Gingerbread Jan 29, 2019

brian.sedore, Jan 29, 2019 :
    Are there any celebrities they mentioned that will be advertising this? I missed that.

It's funny that some people were complaining that you can't stream HDR, but now that it's a possibility, most people don't want the software they are proposing to make it possible.

13. ShawnWager Cupcake Jan 30, 2019

ShawnWager, Jan 30, 2019 :
    I just think there are better options than an app stub we can't delete. I don't want clutter for the sake of having another utility. Take our camera app for example... would you want a permanent app stub that gives you the option to focus the camera?

meatandy likes this.
  14. meatandy Nougat Jan 30, 2019

meatandy, Jan 30, 2019 :
    David , Would it be to much to ask Carl about his thoughts on the Stub app after reading the users overwhelming opposition to his opening question?

15. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jan 30, 2019

David Y., Jan 30, 2019 :
    @Carl so that he can answer this question by himself ;)

Tbh the results are not as bad as we expected, I believe those users who voted Yes are not as vocal as those who voted No. We fully understand everyone's concerns, this question is still at evaluation step. We will keep you guys in the loop once we have a conclusion.

16. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 30, 2019

An.I.Am, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Glad to hear, and thanks for the insight.

17. meatandy Nougat Jan 30, 2019

meatandy, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Thanks for your prompt response as always..

You're the best.

18. FateSeal Cupcake Jan 30, 2019

FateSeal, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Hi i say a clear No. Preload no good idea think. User who dont use it will see this as bloatware.

Put it on the the Google Playstore, who wanna use it can download this App.

Worst mistake preload and not possible to uninstall. This would be a dark day in OnePlus History.

Please keep the OS Clean.

19. varun_kakode Eclair Jan 30, 2019

varun_kakode, Jan 30, 2019 :
    I would say NO.
    A clean OS and fast speed is the Hallmark of OnePlus. I've seen others like Xiaomi, Sony which have a host of apps which use up space and data and are not much used and slow down the phone.

Secondly for HDR probably a lot of internet data will be required which might not be feasible.

Maybe OnePlus can include an OPTIONAL app for the same (which may or may not be installed as per the users requirements).

Thanks for asking Opinions... Cheers...

David Y. likes this.
  20. DARTH 007 KitKat Jan 30, 2019

DARTH 007, Jan 30, 2019 :
    that's what I also expected.
    most will say yes.