Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. Coastie Honeycomb Jan 30, 2019

Coastie, Jan 30, 2019 :
    As someone who DOES NOT use Netflix, I am opposed to the pre-installed app. I'm fine with the icon as long as it can be deleted. There is no reason for the icon to remain on my phone forever since I'll never use the Netflix app.

The icon must be able to be removed/uninstalled, not just hidden.

2. aleshido Eclair Jan 31, 2019

aleshido, Jan 31, 2019 :
    I join the "no" bandwagon, OnePlus has a very consolidated consumerbase (looking from the outside, of course). I don't think the company needs to surrender to third party demands that don't match with OnePlus vision.
    Besides, I don't think I'd either like a bigger phone on my pocket just because it has HDR. There are many other features to focus and prioritize aligning to the vision I expect as a customer.

TibiTibi and G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj like this.
  3. kylothow Eclair Jan 31, 2019

kylothow, Jan 31, 2019 :
    Typical OnePlus question that will get a shitload of backlash from everyone in the community, yet they won't care of what people want and go ahead for the money this partnership will give them.
    The way the question is written kind of tries to give the perception that this is the only way to get HDR, but it's no different than getting, let's say, Netflix or Hulu preinstalled.

By the way, in the OnePlus 5T there are HDR support traces in the Nougat kernel, that have since been removed.

Y1540631360848 likes this.
  4. N1536392556224 Cupcake Jan 31, 2019

5. Ed stockowski Cupcake Jan 31, 2019

6. Mnsz Eclair Jan 31, 2019

Mnsz, Jan 31, 2019 :
    not having an hdr stub is actually a waste of a good hdr supported amoled screen and I've not been able to stream in hdr on Netflix and other apps so yeah please include an hdr stub
    also not everyone has a bad internet connection so please consider the people with decent internet before raising the pitchfork to oppose a small pre-installed app that only benefits people

YahyaMoin.25 and aleshido like this.
  7. aleshido Eclair Jan 31, 2019

aleshido, Jan 31, 2019 :
    Don't get me wrong, I have a OnePlus 6 and plenty of space to deal with bloatware. What I'm saying 'no' to is favoring this 'business model' where OnePlus, as a Company seems forced to surrender from their principles to deliver us nice features, preserving their creativity freedom. Makes sense?

YRJ likes this.
  8. jerellraines Cupcake Feb 1, 2019

jerellraines, Feb 1, 2019 :
    I appreciate the thought but having a app that can't be installed just takes away from the Oxygen OS experience. Being able to change so much is one if the main reasons I've enjoyed using all of OnePlus phones.

9. Mark J Eclair Feb 1, 2019

Mark J, Feb 1, 2019 :
    Can you make the download of the Stub optional? Download if you want HDR or not. Just once on you can't remove.

10. siddharth4 Cupcake Feb 3, 2019

YahyaMoin.25 likes this.
  11. siddharth4 Cupcake Feb 3, 2019

12. lkosova Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2019

lkosova, Feb 3, 2019 :
    I was at the Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas Next to me at a booth on augmented reality on phones was a person from Oppos . The company that owns One Plus I made a comment on how cool it would be to have this in a phone like the OP7 . He laughed and said he had a meeting to discuss this one companies technology for possibly using in their phones..... So there you have some insider information. :rolleyes:

13. ewan643 Donut Feb 4, 2019

ewan643, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I'm all for it if I can click Disable like any of the other bloat like the Messages app. But if I can't get rid of it at all, that's a pass from me

14. Mr.Llama Froyo Feb 5, 2019

15. Y1540631360848 Donut Feb 5, 2019

Y1540631360848, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Yes to an essential pre-loaded app, NO to un-installable ones! 3rd party apps cannot be trusted, ownership may change hands, they could start charging monthly fees.
    You can share with us a link and let us choose if we want to try it out and for how long. I for one have decided that i am not interested on pseudo-HDR (HDR-10)

16. priyo sarkar Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

priyo sarkar, Feb 6, 2019 :
    my phone is hardly 6 months and am getting regular problem of playing games like pubg sometimes it automatically gets off and heat and my screen resolution is getting very low day by day

17. hennes KitKat Feb 11, 2019

hennes, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Well, on the other hand, I personally probably wouldn't care, because you can delete system apps without root privileges.

I'll explain how to do it:

1. You need the "Command line tools" from here:
    https://developer.android.com/studio/#Other

2. Extract and open the command line

3. Go to the directory where you unzipped the file.

4. Go into the directory "plattform-tools"

5. Activate developer mode (Settings -> About the Phone => TAB 7 times on Build-Number)

6. Go back once and select developer options. There is an entry called "USB Debugging". You have to activate it.

7. Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable. On the phone screen you are asked if you want to keep this connection permanently, simply answer with yes, or if you are at a foreign computer with no.

8. Then enter the following on the console of the PC:
    Code:
    adb shell pm list packages
    This shows all packages installed in your smartphone.
    There you can search for the app you want to uninstall.

9. Please be careful, anything that comes now can also lead to apps or services being removed that you don't want to uninstall, and that the phone won't work properly afterwards. So everything you do here is at your own risk.

With the following command you uninstall the app specified in <package.name>.
    Code:
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 package.name

Here's an example if you want to uninstall the flutter yaimco version:
    Code:
    [hennes@HADES ~]$ adb shell pm list packages
    package:com.oneplus.calculator
    package:de.yadev.flutter.yaimco
    package:com.oneplus.camera.service
    package:cn.oneplus.opmms
    [hennes@HADES ~]$ adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 de.yadev.flutter.yaimco

That's it!
    This should also work with such an app stub.

Morally, however, it's certainly completely different if OnePlus delivers something like this, while they always said that OxygenOS should stay free of bloatware after all.

18. sportfish247 Cupcake Feb 16, 2019

sportfish247, Feb 16, 2019 :
    Keep the promise don't load any extra app. Installed per user needs getting play store play store.

19. Whichway Cupcake Feb 16, 2019

20. PTuT Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2019

PTuT, Feb 16, 2019 :
    One way you say "to have clear data pointing to how our community stands on it" but another way you say "I believe those users who voted Yes are not as vocal as those who voted No". I don't think math can be mixed with personal beliefs. Based on responses here, it looks like prevailing NO answer. Unless you don't take people responding to your form as representative sample.