Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Feb 19, 2019

David Y., Feb 19, 2019 :
    No. What I was saying is the NO radio under this thread are different from the NO radio on the Google form.

2. PTuT Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2019

PTuT, Feb 19, 2019 :
    Aha, thanks.

3. Ghauttham Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

4. Adex0ne Honeycomb Feb 21, 2019

Adex0ne, Feb 21, 2019 :
    If this app can't be uninstalled,then it's a NO, I joined the ineplus train due to clean OS all the way from Nigeria , africa, nothing more , please don't ruin my reggae with you blues.I don't want apps that cannot be uninstalled except Google key apps, neither do the community want such app also.

Thanks @Carl

Themurtuza and Whichway like this.
  5. preetham1239 Froyo Feb 22, 2019

preetham1239, Feb 22, 2019 :
    Not really. You could download the content on a before hand and enjoy it later when offline.

6. preetham1239 Froyo Feb 22, 2019

preetham1239, Feb 22, 2019 :
    I don't understand what's the big deal. what's it gonna cost you if you get an app preloaded on your mobile that gives you the best streaming experience.

Make it uninstallable? - Sure. If you don't like to see it hanging around, just hide it.

P.S. y'all that are against this are missing out on an amazing feature a mobile could offer. I pity these.

rameshshreyas and brandonb4935 like this.
  7. bhanupsingh06 Froyo Feb 22, 2019

bhanupsingh06, Feb 22, 2019 :
    I don't prefer preloaded apps, but if it's going to be this way, please don't show ads. That would be the worst thing for OnePlus device owners.
    Xaomi started displaying ads on their own preloaded apps and that is the reason why I won't be switching to xaomi devices ever!

Adex0ne and preetham1239 like this.
  8. brandonb4935 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2019

brandonb4935, Feb 23, 2019 :
    According to his post, or at least what I got from it, no past devices would get it because their hardware doesn't support it. TBH I don't know if my 6T's hardware supports HDR. They might do what they did before where you have to send your phone to them, they completely wipe it and change what needs to be changed. They did that when they were giving people the ability to stream HD from Netflix and other services.

9. brandonb4935 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2019

brandonb4935, Feb 23, 2019 :

preetham1239

I don't understand what's the big deal. what's it gonna cost you if you get an app preloaded on your mobile that gives you the best streaming experience.

Make it uninstallable? - Sure. If you don't like to see it hanging around, just hide it.

P.S. y'all that are against this are missing out on an amazing feature a mobile could offer. I pity these.​

I agree, we have a bunch of preloaded Google crap like Google Play Music and Play Movie that we can't uninstall (believe me I've tried) so why not. I just hide those apps and never look at them, but when I do it still annoys me that I can't remove them. IDK maybe it can be done with root.

preetham1239 likes this.
  10. G_Cliff_M_JeTt Eclair Feb 26, 2019

G_Cliff_M_JeTt, Feb 26, 2019 :
    Good day,

Based on what I read and heard, ALL the hardcore FANBOYS/FANGIRLS will NOT be honest & transparent about the problems they have, ever.

Why?
    Because psychologically, they have to put in their mind that their hard money and the choice they made was put in the right spot (even it's not).

"We have 2 OnePlus 6T and in the process of being swap/trade-in for S10 & S10 Plus."

Reasons?
    * Camera is BLURRY & WASHED OUT (so we end up installing the Google Pixel 3 XL APK and it's much better, clearer & sharper)
    * Battery life is shorter now (especially after 9.0.3 update for T-Mobile version)
    * The call quality is not as clear & loud, like our NOTE 9 & S7 EDGE
    * SOFTWARE UPDATE for the T-Mobile version is very late, as OnePlus is not giving the software to T-Mobile in a faster fashion (OnePlus people already said that they still not given the new software update to T-Mobile)
    * Bluetooth is constantly dropping since last update
    * Etc........(means many more problems)

For the people who are reading this: "YES, we reported it (sent multiple bug report), then called the customer service/technical support that's in the Philippines for 8 times, then Factory Reset, clear this and that, uninstall this and that, etc.... with the SAME results.

The ONLY REASONS that many people who are using T-Mobile (USA) bought it was (this is based on ALL forums, sales agents in the stores, social network, etc.....:
    * It's CHEAP
    * Futuristic In Display fingerprint
    * People heard the faster software updates (but we are duped, because it isn't)
    * The $300 trade-in
    * And support the underdog mantra

Those are the FACTS but to OnePlus (they don't care) & to the FANBOYS/FANGIRLS, they will sweep it under the rug & talk about 5G now.

Have a great day to y'all

11. Themurtuza Jelly Bean Feb 27, 2019

Themurtuza, Feb 27, 2019 :
    Ranting is allowed here and to some extent tolerated too, but atleast find proper post to rant.
    Wht your rant gotta do with this post?

preetham1239 likes this.
  12. NeatNit Eclair Feb 27, 2019

NeatNit, Feb 27, 2019 :
    Oh man. I'm super late for this. Here's my 2 cents:

If the poll was still available, I'd have probably voted yes depending on the answers to these questions:

Is an app needed to enable HDR? i.e. if I have Netflix right now, does that not have HDR? But if I install some other service app, then suddenly Netflix WILL have HDR?
    If so, then I consider this app to be some sort of driver. And I'd be happy to have drivers preinstalled on my phone. It's not bloat, it's what allows the software to take full advantage of the hardware.

I just don't understand, why does it need to be an app? Why can't it be baked into OxygenOS? If there's a good reason - then go right ahead.

However, if the app you have in mind is for a particular service that happens to support HDR (e.g. Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, or competitors of these) then it's a big NO from me. That is the definition of bloat.

preetham1239 likes this.
  13. AdrianFischer Gingerbread Feb 27, 2019

AdrianFischer, Feb 27, 2019 :
    I think what OnePlus does is that they get the HDR drivers from a company but they ask OnePlus in exchange for the HDR driver software to install advertisement / app stub, e.g. PUBG or idk TowerDefense because the HDR driver software dev partnered up with another company which will pay him to place the apps on people's phone. More pre-loaded apps -> more views / installs -> more potential in-app sales. -> profit

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019

14. NeatNit Eclair Feb 27, 2019

NeatNit, Feb 27, 2019 :
    Oh, I get it. I guess it's a tough question though. On one hand, it's probably a popular app (I'm guessing it starts with N?) that I would have anyway, in which case it's good news for me. But on the other hand, these app stubs are just gross! I don't find it acceptable. And I think that [N-company] doesn't understand OnePlus's target audience if they think we'd consider getting a subscription after seeing the ad 'pre-installed' on our brand-new premium phone.

Even though it would benefit me directly, it's a no from me. And I hope that OP and N can reach some other agreement that doesn't involve adding an icon to our apps list.

For example, in Settings under Display somewhere, or under About Phone, you could have a text box say: "Screen supports HDR display in N, Y and other apps. Tap to learn more." (which would bring up a list of supported apps, with play store links).

That way geeks are likely to encounter it, but won't be annoyed by it.