Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. TibiTibi
    Nougat Jan 24, 2019

TibiTibi , Jan 24, 2019 :
    No bloatware, please. It smells. It's a trap.
    Let it clean.
    Any app has to be installed optionaly.

Phone displays are not good for long term watching.
    HDR will not change this. Mind the eyes.

Focus on other improvents, e.g.: audio, battery life, SW/HW stability and many other useful suggestions.

2. devil112
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

3. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2019

rameshshreyas , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I still believe that HDR is best suited for TV's. I did check out some HDR videos on an iPhone XS Max and the difference is subtle to say the least. Therefore, I don't see the actual worth of investing money and resources on HDR for phones. Sure, it would be great to market it but personally, I really don't care if I see HDR on my phone.

4. qu4nd
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

qu4nd , Jan 24, 2019 :
    In theory, I like the idea of getting HDR capabilities. I just hope that won't lead to app stubs of apps that don't even support it ^^

G_plusone likes this.
  5. YRJ
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

YRJ , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Ofc, HDR is best on larger screens and TV's are no exception. People are pushing hard to make the best displays possible, and not doing anything software based to enhance its potential is IMO not wise.
    But if you can improve the experience for the users and in the process make money too..... It's a cherry on the top ;)

G_plusone likes this.
  6. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

the_o2 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I know your situation, lots of things are there which you guys can't reveal due to business policies.
    I'm just worried about the Oxygen OS, I choose Oxygen OS because it's clean and simple.
    And I am actually happy that you guys created this thread, hope you guys soon have an answer which explains most of the things related to this and as @Cheetosdust mentioned many things nothing more left to say from my side.
    We believe in you :).

7. Jacob_DK

Jacob_DK , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I - as many more in this thread - would like to have a more technical insight into as to why exactly this app is necessary in the first place. From a personal point of view, I don't care too much about having HDR on the device itself, because I use my Chromecast for all my streaming needs. I seriously find a smartphone screen to be way too small to watch any streaming content for real.

OxygenOS is the crown jewel of OnePlus. You should be proud of what you've built here post-CyanogenMod. Very close to stock Android but still with unique features which gives it its own personality. For that reason, I join the crowd saying that if you absolutely feel the need to include this component - whatever its real purpose is - at least make it uninstallable without having to root the device.

That's my two cents on this, @Carl.

8. PuCiNhOOO
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

PuCiNhOOO , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I think is not a matter of liking blootware, but to be able to take more profit about your phone.
    I use mine a lot in bed to watch vídeo content. If I can watch it even better, why not? If I dont use it, I will just or disable it, or hide it on drawer...
    Easy peasy... Space is more than enough

9. Rob W
    Ice Cream Sandwich Community Expert Jan 24, 2019

Rob W , Jan 24, 2019 :
    If it ADDS FUNCTIONALITY and also CAN BE UNINSTALLED, then I'm for it.

Adam Krisko and rarog like this.
  10. Tcat007
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2019

Tcat007 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I wouldn't mind just seeing hd (1080). With Drm L3, all we get is cr@p, although on a small phone it looks ok. What's one more preloaded app, there's already at least 10 I uninstall

11. petro pakarinen
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

otto2 likes this.
  12. xahoor900
    Eclair Jan 24, 2019

13. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    You are forcing everyone else to have an app just because you like it...
    If you have no problem with that, there is nothing we can discuss ...

YRJ likes this.
  14. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

luxuskamel , Jan 24, 2019 :
    1548335026573.jpg

15. PuCiNhOOO
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

PuCiNhOOO , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I am not forcing anyone, I am just givin an opinion, just like you ;-)

16. otto2
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

otto2 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    OK, so @Carl, @David Y. seems like many users dislike the idea. Maybe some technical informations could help users to find out the difference between the status quo and Tha status after having this preloaded app? Are the OP6/6T displays able to show HDR content and, more important, in which quality? (Difference between the dynamic range streaming service can deliver and Oneplus displays are able to show)? Will it be possible to stream the signal in full quality to a TV screen or another display? Will Oneplus earn money for this deal? Will the bootloader stay unlockable?

TibiTibi, buntycubal, rarog and 4 others like this.
  17. G_Kirk_Fontaine_MBlG
    Eclair Jan 24, 2019

otto2 likes this.
  18. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

19. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 24, 2019

Dunnow , Jan 24, 2019 :
    unless I know what app, for what service, and the full cost to the end user beforehand I say no thanks. Not interested on being spammed.

Themurtuza, Kalle81, otto2 and 3 others like this.
  20. parag008

parag008 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    definitely not if it cant be uninstalled.
    still using op devices mainly cause of clean os.
    wont be needing any bloatware anytime at all.

Kalle81, otto2 and G_plusone like this.