Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. gaster KitKat Moderator Jan 24, 2019

gaster, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Hi dear @Carl

OnePlus is known so far for their fast, smooth and clean OS they provide as a bloatware free one, and people used to love this from the very start. Personally I would say No about this.

I would not like to have a pre-installed app in my device out of the box. We already have some like the OnePlus Weather, OnePlus Switch, Community etc. but at least these, are OnePlus apps, for me are useful plus that they can be easily uninstalled.

Also some people they don't use services such Netflix for example, that means they will have to stuck with an application thay they don't really want to use. Today is the app about the HDR, tomorrow it could be something else right? And that means that in time, we can end up to have bloat apps pre-installed that they will ruin the quality of OxygenOS we used to have all this time.

However, my kudos and thank you guys that you provided us the option to vote about this. You could easily do this at your likes and without say anything to us. That's much appreciated. If you are gonna do this, I hope at least you can offer the ability of uninstalling the pre-loaded app. Good luck and all the best.

2. luxuskamel KitKat Jan 24, 2019

luxuskamel, Jan 24, 2019 :
    I'm in the university until evening and my charger is at home...
    I started the day with 60%

otto2, buntycubal, YRJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. G_plusone Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

G_plusone, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Nice example :)

YRJ likes this.
  4. Aditya Dange Honeycomb Jan 24, 2019

Aditya Dange, Jan 24, 2019 :
    [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️[e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️[e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️ [e]26a0[/e]️

If old & upcoming devices are going to get bloat n useless preloaded apps which will do nothing more than making Oxygen OS cluttered & slow than ever before then it's [Big No] from my side.

otto2 likes this.
  5. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

nyzproof333, Jan 24, 2019 :
    They did have to because they are sneaky bunch that are trying to potentially soften the blow when reality (new device) strikes.

The dillusion by most is that the weight of these response impact the change that is portrayed by opening a thread like this.

Hell, this question may not even be about a OP device and may be market polling to discredit a competitor.

6. PTuT Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

PTuT, Jan 24, 2019 :
    My answer is, No.
    If some company requires uninstallable content to use their app/services then it's better to stay away and find other venues to get HDR content on OP phones...if it's so desired to do. Did OP even tried to determine how many users want such data-hogging service to use? One of the OP highlights is clean system without crapware installed (because such app/service will be crap for those who don't want to use it and they will have no way to get rid off it).

And, if you open the door to one such thing...who know where it will go...

otto2 and buntycubal like this.
  7. Killerjohn Donut Jan 24, 2019

otto2 and G_plusone like this.
  8. Lancelot_69 Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

Lancelot_69, Jan 24, 2019 :
    You can pre-install anything you want as long as I can uninstall without root.
    M2¢

rarog, G_plusone and meatandy like this.
  9. YRJ KitKat Jan 24, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  10. meatandy Nougat Jan 24, 2019

meatandy, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Do you think this really has to do with upcoming OnePlus 'phones' by themselves or an operating system that would be fluid between your phone and the OP-TV ?

otto2, the_o2 and G_plusone like this.
  11. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Jan 24, 2019

camohan, Jan 24, 2019 :
    To just give a background on why I think like this. I "was" a avid fan of custom rom. The first thing I would do before using the new device was to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom rom. Uninstall the crap app and get the cherry pick useful features.

This continued until Oxygen OS came in life. Trust me since Oxygen OS took over Cyanogen, I have never ever flashed a custom rom. Reason - the light weight and bloat free software. The basic concept of OxygenOS on keep it very basic and letting user decide what he/ she wants.

Now coming with this background, I understand OnePlus wants to provide users with some new app or a feature which can provide more value addition in terms of user experience. Go for it!! I am all with you on this. But I am not in favour of the business decision if it does not allow a user to uninstall the app. That is were I do not have a good feeling about the entire proposal.

Secondly, not many users care much about bloatware, considering the request we get in forum on having antivirus, cache cleaner, etc. So it might still go as "yes" from community perspective but somewhere in a corner of my heart it gives me not so happy feeling about having something which I "might" not use.

Currently there is too much guessing on which is the app, etc. In any case, not allowing to uninstall the app is a big led down for me.

I hope you take a right decision OnePlus!

Themurtuza, rarog, otto2 and 4 others like this.
  12. npatel70 Honeycomb Jan 24, 2019

npatel70, Jan 24, 2019 :
    No comments. .. Let me screenshot do the talking
    Screenshot_20190124-135712.jpg

13. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978, Jan 24, 2019 :
    your opinion forces to everyone have an app installed, again, there are other brands that has this feature without having the pre installed app...

otto2 likes this.
  14. peaky blinders Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

otto2 likes this.
  15. PuCiNhOOO Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

PuCiNhOOO, Jan 24, 2019 :

pablofg1978

your opinion forces to everyone have an app installed, again, there are other brands that has this feature without having the pre installed app...

The same way that your opinion is privating others of having a new value.

Non sense discussion here... Already gave my opinion on the pool, and you have done the same right?
    Then our work is done...
    Let others have their own opinion and the right to talk about it freely...

Be safe :-D

16. lutti KitKat Jan 24, 2019

lutti, Jan 24, 2019 :
    So then we are talking about just one streaming provider since as far as i know they aren't working together but are more of in a competition with each other. But if this was the case i don't see any app helping to sort out every streaming service magically enabling hdr with this one app.
    If then in fact there is some licensing fees they are trying to get out of i would understand this being the case. Let's say if this magical app just told something like netflix that "hello it's me Samsung galaxy (what ever the latest one is)" it could work but i doubt that would be legal. So i'm still wondering why we need a separate app for all the services and how would this work.

otto2 and buntycubal like this.
  17. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978, Jan 24, 2019 :
    My opinion does not private others to have this feature, my opinion says that other devices has this feature without having a pre installed app. So saying that this is the only way it isn't true.

otto2, buntycubal and the_o2 like this.
  18. lutti KitKat Jan 24, 2019

lutti, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Could we have the software engineering team explain us why we need this app?

otto2 likes this.
  19. the_o2 Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

the_o2, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Nope, if this was the case they already mentioned it ;)

I don't get the point of HDR in 6 inches devices, where the YouTuber like you ( not exactly you :p) keep saying that OnePlus's 1080p display is great it ok to not have 2K display, it's looks as good as Samsung's flagship phones and it consumes less battery and blah blah.....

Well you better know it, might be you have both OP7 in hand and OP TV on desk ;);)

20. Himanshu0000608 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2019