Question: Preloaded app stub for HDR streaming?

1. pochu_mufc
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

2. TheRealProcyon
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

TheRealProcyon , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Voted no and no, because app stubs are annoying even if they're uninstallable. They add extra preloaded stuff to the phone which I'm personally strongly against.

otto2 likes this.
  3. PuCiNhOOO
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

PuCiNhOOO , Jan 24, 2019 :
    YouTube have it already, but there are too many other apps that dont have it... This might be a limitation due to content protection

4. bgpancha
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978 likes this.
  5. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Same app in other devices does not require being pre installed to use hdr. So if this stream service does not force this other brands, why should we forced to?
    I have a popular streaming service, and I probably would like to have hdr, but if that implies that everyone will get the app pre installed it just will be a big no, thanks. My rights ends where the rights of others stars. I'm still able to see Netflix in HD, for a 6 inch display is more than enough.

YRJ, camohan, otto2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wackencorpse
    KitKat Jan 24, 2019

Wackencorpse , Jan 24, 2019 :
    No, if there is no possibility to uninstall the app, I don't want this app. Keep the OS as clean as possible.

Whitenberg, otto2 and Bouncer71 like this.
  7. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jan 24, 2019

Bouncer71 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    It does matter...

Even if this thread title probably should be "We are introducing HDR Stub Bloat soon[e]2122[/e]"

We stated our opinion that's all that's matters...

the_o2, pablofg1978, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  8. PuCiNhOOO
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

Like i said already... All this discussion make no sense.. We already shared our opinion both here and in the pool... Work done! [e]1f601[/e]
    Lets keep the thread most clean possible for others to have their own vote and opinion too [e]1f609[/e]

9. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 24, 2019

pablofg1978 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    This thread is for discussion, others can read our point of view and take their own conclusions.

otto2 likes this.
  10. PuCiNhOOO
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

[e]1f44d[/e]

11. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

obakesan , Jan 24, 2019 :
    @Carl why does one need some installed stub app? Actually what is this app and what does it have to do with the Google play store. This sounds like marketing deals to place a link on your device to some 3rd party app. I am guessing some revenue stream.

Surely you can support HDR without some odd app link no?

If you were really transparent you would say the app and provide more information. Before you know it you will turn into the Samsung and mobile operators of old with dozen pre installed apps links etc to things people do or don't want.

meatandy and otto2 like this.
  12. Schafer
    US Brand Ambassador Jan 24, 2019

Schafer , Jan 24, 2019 :

Carl

Hi friends,

We're currently looking at new ways to offer our users HDR streaming on our devices. Would you be open to us preloading a popular app stub (an icon that leads to Play Store) for the purposes of supporting HDR streaming?

While we can't reveal further details yet, we would love to get your opinion at this early stage. We want to be as transparent as possible on this as we have promised our software will be clean and free of bloatware, and we are keen to continue working closely with our community for better product experiences.

Here are the pros and cons we can share so far:

Pros 1: Offer HDR streaming, which can offer our users a higher quality streaming experience.

Pros 2: Unleash the full potential of our future smartphone hardware.

Cons: An app stub (an icon that leads to Play Store) will be preloaded, and it cannot be uninstalled.

What do you think? Cast your vote [HERE] and let us know why in the comment section below.

Thank you.​

I world be fine with an HDR app but please please have the ability to delete if we wanted to.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

buntycubal likes this.
  13. Whitenberg
    KitKat Jan 24, 2019

14. repsakasper
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

15. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

the_o2 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Yes same like the headphone jack and notification LED :oops::smirk:

Kalle81, Bouncer71 and buntycubal like this.
  16. TheRealProcyon
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

and if it's NOT uninstallable then I'll switch to a custom ROM, and will do that with each phone as it sucks bloatware and stupid stubs get added to OxygenOS

17. buntycubal
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2019

buntycubal , Jan 24, 2019 :
    it should came with uninstall option , or the idea is not compatible with myself..

18. otto2
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

otto2 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I m afraid, @Carl is not allowed to tell us the name of the streaming provider due to business rules, NDA s etc.
    Some users have mentioned names of big providers , at all you just have to check: Which provider is globally (!!!) available ? (OK, not everywhere but in most important markets right now) Which provider needs money due to expensive developing of own new content? Transparency ends ,when your business partners do not want it/ are afraid of it.
    And then ask yourself: Do you want a provider to put data on your phone you do not need/want, you do not exactly know, what information is stored ,where it is stored etc...

Todd W., Carl, Kalle81 and 5 others like this.
  19. otto2
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2019

otto2 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    And when Content provider do not allow unlocked bootloaders due to "Security reasons" ? Right now you cannot unlock the T-Mobile version without an unlock code- very bad move. What if oneplus won t give you an unlock code anymore due to some contract with some streaming provider?

Bouncer71 likes this.
  20. TheRealProcyon
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

that's not what's going to happen and aside of that, their bootloader is easily unlockable without code (their own core ideology)

otto2 likes this.