[QUESTION] Whats the difference between adb sideload vs setting update●

1. info2shail2010
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 20, 2017

info2shail2010 , Apr 20, 2017 :
    Installing a Full Rom Zip Via Adb Sideload and Installing via Phone Setting- System Updates - Local Updates ?
    and updating through putting zip in Internal storage and update it via Recovery ?

2. Rajeent60000
    Froyo Apr 20, 2017

3. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

elanglois , Apr 20, 2017 :
    The local update mode of the updater and booting to recovery are the same. In fact, the system updater option will write a script that tells recovery what to do and it will reboot your phone to recovery mode and run the script.

ADB sideload is a way to push a zip from your PC and then flash it all in one command. You must have your device booted to a recovery that supports it (don't know about stock recovery as I've never seen it).

4. varma246
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

varma246 , Apr 20, 2017 :
    Along with this watch some you tube videos.
    You will get any idea about it.

5. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

I think you replied to the wrong person. I personally don't think people should be flashing their phones if they can't follow simple instructions without watching a YouTube video.

Playing with adb commands isn't something you should trust to "show me where to click" thinking. You need to read the screen and have a thorough understanding of what you are doing and why. Otherwise, stick to the OTA methods provided by OnePlus.

6. info2shail2010

Thanks for reply... Do Result from both method are same ?? I mean.. If i want to Clean install from Beta 13 to Stable OOS.. Doing Factory reset from recovery and flashing with One of these two method are enough for Clean Installation ??

7. varma246
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

Really ????

As far as i know people will remember visual things more than other things .

People are not that dumb to flash their device with out understanding the flash instructions.

Bravo.......You have more experience in flashing ROMs and estimating other people are dumb.

8. info2shail2010

are Verma ji... Ladai mat karo... koi baat nahi.. hhahahahah

Vedant620 likes this.
  9. emekauwanekezi
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2017

10. varma246
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

Etho kuch bhi nahita...picture abhi bhaki hai.

Shail ji aapko Google and you tube serach karnatha...apko abhithak Jawab mill jayagi.

Apne ladai kardiya humare donunki beach.... Lol

info2shail2010 likes this.
  11. info2shail2010

hahaha sorry ... mujhe pata nahi tha ladai ho jayegi.. nahi to main google hi ker leta...

varma246 likes this.
  12. info2shail2010

13. info2shail2010

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

No. People need videos when they are working from "show and tell" rather than knowledge. If you have the correct understanding of how things work, then you can read your screen and figure things out. You don't need a video and you should NOT try to memorize a procedure.

This isn't baking a cake. Things can and do go wrong and you need to know how to handle things when they do.

A good example. Someone posted a picture of the greyed out Audio Tuner screen, asking how to enable it. It says RIGHT IN THE SCREENSHOT that you needed to plug in headphones to enable it. He is a prime example of a sheep that needs to be shown a video because he can't read the screen and follow instructions.

15. ambujmishra
    Gingerbread Apr 20, 2017

ambujmishra , Apr 20, 2017 :
    right dude this example is perfect for youtubers.

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2017

The only way to write to the system partition is when its not in use, which means it has to happen from recovery. Actually, you can do it from fastboot as well, but fastboot doesn't support all the fancy options and scripts. Fastboot is normally to flash firmware and flash your recovery.

Recovery does all the work, so every method is the same. They all lead to recovery (like drug addiction!).

Not sure why you want to "clean flash" but if you want to wipe out your data, feel free. If you are already in recovery, you might as well flash the OpenBeta ZIP while you are there.

You might also want to read this info as far as what the different wipes are and what pieces are used for what. It's designed for twrp users, but the info is still valid regardless of what recovery system you use. The difference is that twrp can flash zips that aren't signed by oneplus so we can make our own and modify things, plus a number of useful features.

https://twrp.me/faq/whattowipe.html

info2shail2010 likes this.
  17. abhijithvm
    Cupcake Nov 12, 2017

abhijithvm , Nov 12, 2017 :
    The end result is basically the same. There isn't much difference. But I won't recommend to play with Sideload if you don't know what you are doing. A lot of things could go wrong/could not work. Also, learn some ADB commands.
    More about ADB Commands & sideloading