Questions on simple usability and user scenarios under oxygen OS

1. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 10, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 10, 2016 :
    Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about oxygen OS on some of the user scenarios or the daunting simple tasks for a user when he performs some basic operations.

1. Why is it not possible to copy a number or a certain text from a text message? Let's say I have a scenario where I receive a onetime password or a phone number from someone that I need to save, it's really not easy.

2. We cannot initiate a call by selection of a number from an webpage. We would have to copy the number then navigate to dialer paste the data and then call.

3. Certain Web pages display the phone number as a link when we choose the link, we are asked if we should complete the action using phone or true caller. Even after making phone the default app for such links, we have another step where we are taken to the dialer with the number in the field but we have to explicitly choose call to initiate a call. But why this step, would be much easier in a single click. (This could be justified as the step will enable the user to save or call the number but just wanted to know what other users think of it).

4. Finding call logs based on received, dailed, missed is way complicated.

5. We do not have a explicit notification pop up that we have a missed call but just the small icon on the top.

I have collated these scenarios from experience and others (including elderly), just wanted to know how everyone else is treating such scenarios and sharing that would make life easier for a lot of others.

Please forgive me if certain issues are across Android, because I'm new to Android from ios.

Anyone can add other such roadblocks you find in your day to day usage of your oneplus. Perhaps @Adam Krisko and @Mike would like to know this.

jmcdpereira likes this.
  2. PrajwalK
    Gingerbread Mar 11, 2016

PrajwalK , Mar 11, 2016 :
    To overcome all such issues on Android you need to use third party apps.
    Certain issues you face are not specific to Oxygen OS. It's how the stock android works.

1. Certain Text- Needs xposed framework.

2 and 3. Install a app called Text Aide

4. Install a third party dialer which supports this. For example Ex dialer

5. Install floatify.

Lancelot_69 likes this.
  3. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 11, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 11, 2016 :
    Yes, I know third party apps can get the job done. But the primary intent of the post was to understand why such simple tasks are overlooked.. Din oneplus or even Android dev not know these exist? Perhaps we need to know how they go about doing these things..

4. lonesomewalker
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2016

5. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Mar 11, 2016

Lancelot_69 , Mar 11, 2016 :
    Great tips! Thanks