Quick Question: Why do you prefer Community Web to community App?

1. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 30, 2021

Zach X. , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Hi guys,

Previously we conducted a OnePlus Community Annual Satisfaction Survey and collected valuable insights from our community users. I would like to share an interesting fact from the analysis result.

Nowadays mobile phones seem to become more and more the most frequently used device in our daily life. According to the survey result, 88% of users use mobile phones to visit the OnePlus Community. However, among these users who use mobile phones to visit OnePlus Community, only 43% of them visit through the App.

upload_2021-3-30_11-39-13.png

We fully understand your request for a more smooth and functional Community App experience. This year, OnePlus Community team has determined to implement a major update on the Community App. To achieve this goal, we need more of your ideas and inputs! Let's make every one of you a part of the process, a process that builds a BETTER Community App together!

Now I would like you to share a quick answer to this question: Why do you prefer Community Web over the Community App?

Leave your comments here! I and the Community Product Manager, @Vickie L., will keep checking this thread from time to time!

2. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    superplus , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Alright, let's see if we can all help make the Community App better :cool: together with you and @Vickie L.

I've gone through all the comments so far and will try to summarise what has been mentioned until now.

Let's start with what people have been mentioning are the current strengths and main reasons for using the community app (be it exclusively, or side-by-side with web).

Strengths of the app:
    - Allows for receiving instant notifications from the Community (though it doesn’t work reliably, especially for PMs)
    - Recommended threads are more easily visible in app
    - Sorting by latest thread creation within a section is easier than on web
    - Easy instant access to Community upon opening
    - Easier access to the activity feed of those you “follow”
    - “Modern UI”
    - Quick image insertion from device (though compression is too aggressive)
    - Feedback tool for Bug Reports collection
    - Easy to like and quote single messages
    - Check-in feature, which gives XP
    - Medals
    - No need to sign in repeatedly, or solve captchas

Then there are the following places where people would like to see improvements/features added to the app (in random categories I came up with, which probably aren't the best overall way to organise them - anyone, please feel free to let me know if you have better suggestions regarding this).

Formatting posts:
    - Please enable easy formatting/inclusion of:
    - Font size
    - Font colour
    - Font style
    - Paragraph alignment
    - Hyperlinks as text
    - Italics
    - Bold
    - Underline
    - Lists
    - Embedding of web images using a url (including GIFs)
    - Embedding of youtube, spotify or other media content
    - Spoilers
    - OnePlus Community emojis
    - Uploads of files​
    - Please add the “draft” feature to app (especially useful for creating threads)

These formatting/draft features seem to be one of the main reasons people do not (like to) create threads using the app, even for those who use the app exclusively for everything else.

Tagging of people:
    - Auto-completion of tag.
    - Tags from the app don’t notify the recipient

Quoting/Replying/Linking to posts:
    - Multi-quotes (quoting multiple people in one reply post) are not supported
    - Quoting/Replying to only part of the post is not supported
    - Quoting/Replying to the first post of a thread is not supported
    - Can’t quote a comment from a previous page
    - Accessing the permalink url

Managing posts:
    - Post editing messes up the contents (line spacing gets removed, font sizing changes, some text becomes bold, quotes get messed up, etc.)
    - Post deletion is not possible, only thread deletion

Notifications:
    - Please allow to easily mark all notifications as read (besides being cumbersome to have to select each one to clear them, sometimes the red notification dot persists despite all having been cleared, requiring to go to web to remove it)
    - Often when there are multiple notifications, it only shows the last quote, the last tag, the last like
    - Be able to view the whole notification (especially for e.g. resolved/rejected reports, (re)moved posts, etc.)
    - Possibly related to two of the above – can’t mark moderator’s notifcations as read

Accessing features:
    - Spoilers
    - Polls
    - Unfurled hyperlinks
    - Viewing who has liked a post
    - View your RPs
    - Post on someone’s profile
    - (Option to) View people’s signatures
    - Please show (like on web) if a post has been edited

PMs:
    - Quote/reply unavailable (unless there are multiple participants)
    - Can’t zoom in to/save images

Navigating the forums:
    - No easy way to quickly jump to the first, last (or any other) page in (long) threads -> could be solved by allowing at least manual entry of the page number and/or little indicators for “go to first/last” page alongside the page scroller
    - Long thread titles are cropped
    - The recents tab is much better experienced in the web version to stay up to date with ongoing conversations and threads
    - Please allow to follow a quoted message back to its original location like on web
    - Please allow easy refreshing of (larger) threads
    - Picture-heavy threads (like the 9 Pro Review threads) are impossible to scroll through smoothly (and images can go missing)
    - Profile page is more informative and more neatly organised on web
    - No way to easily navigate between the sections of interest
    - Too many highlighted contents to find actual topics of interest, unlike in web
    - Raffles section not easily accessible like on web
    - Dropdown menus are easier for overall forum navigation

Look/feel of the app:
    - Dark mode doesn’t work well, where system settings seem to override the user's app selected settings, so often black(ish) text ends up on a black(ish) background (especially on the home page), leading to invisible/illegible content
    - UI could be updated
    - Focussed on ads for products
    - Bloated by RCC and Store integrations

General accessibility:
    - Unavailable on Apple Tablets (unsure if this was actual feedback :p)

Now of course that's quite an extensive list of things so far already, and there is possibly more to follow (I'll try to keep this list updated as more comments come along).

But taking any of these on board will already greatly improve the overall experience for most I'm sure! :D Here's hoping for a better app for all ;)

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2021

Bobbie63 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    For starters the general overview in the web browser is way better.

Edit: from the 43% that use the Community app, I wonder how many know of the existence of the possibility to use the Webbrowser?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021

4. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I prefer community web over community app because some things only we can do in OnePlus community web just like delete a comment, change font size, change font colour, change paragraph alignment. This all things can be done on only web , we can't do mention things on OnePlus community app.

5. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Mar 30, 2021

superplus , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I prefer web to the app because in the app:
    - tags don't work
    - formatting doesn't work
    - spoilers don't work
    - polls don't work
    - quotes/replies don't work properly
    - it's a pain to insert hyperlinks
    - it's a pain to navigate long threads
    - unfurling hyperlinks don't work
    well too many reasons really...

6. B_Wrath
    Nougat Mar 30, 2021

B_Wrath , Mar 30, 2021 :
    You summarized what I wanted to say!
    I hate the fact that the app doesn't support multi quoting and basic post deleting features.

7. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 30, 2021

Cheetosdust , Mar 30, 2021 :
    The overall feeling of using the app is under-cooked.

I need a seamless experience, and pain points like not being able to quote the first message does not help.

It’s the details that make something work: the feel of navigating the app is cumbersome and the cropping of some titles is something that transmits a lack of focus, a burden to the member.

Last time I checked, the tags were not working properly and I could not write a message with rich, intuitive formatting tools.

I appreciate your new efforts, hopefully this time they will result in something enjoyable, in something that allows for an intuitive experience.

The forums are about interactions and a community app needs to nail those.

8. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2021

Bobbie63 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    So this is just a small selection that took you like........10 sec to come up with. :rolleyes:

And weren't these things an issue a couple of years ago also?

9. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 30, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I prefer web to app (though using the app right now for mobility) -
    1. Web has profile section with profile posts
    2. Web has so many formatting features which doesn't need BB code to write
    3. Web has better image insertion quality
    4. Web has tagging recommendations
    5. Web has permalink feature
    6. Web doesn't mess up the post whenever you edit it.
    7. Web doesn't have the 'Publishing' bug which can single-handedly drown all your efforts
    8. Web has spoiler, media insertion and Spotify or playlist insertion features
    9. Web has select and quote/reply feature
    10. Web has better speeds and less crashes and shows live stats lf users.
    11. No GIF support in app
    12. No polls in app
    13. No "OnePlus Community Emojis" in app
    14. Can't zoom and see or save images in DMs in app
    15. Can't see who all have liked a post in app
    16. No quote or reply options in DMs (though group DMs have a reply feature) on app
    17. No way to mark all notification as read in app
    18. No way to draft a thread in app
    @Vickie L. @Zach X. I hope this gives you a little clarity.

10. Cheetosdust

Completely agree with you about the multi-quoting. I don't delete messages, but I can see that too.

And if you want to write a proper message, the editing tools are lacking.

Another detail that happens here, is that when you have multiple notifications, most of the time, it only shows the last quote, the last tag, the last like.

luxuskamel, Caomhin, atenaa and 14 others like this.
  11. B_Wrath
    Nougat Mar 30, 2021

B_Wrath , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Indeed. I remember us discussing the same things a few years ago.
    @Leo X. Maybe just dig though the archives. There is a detailed thread about this very topic.
    Speaking of which, a basic "mark all notification read" option is missing. It is cumbersome to dismiss each notification.

I have the app only for notifications. That too, I don't get notified for messages.

luxuskamel, the_o2, Caomhin and 13 others like this.
  12. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2021

McJader , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I was pleasantly surprised to see a causally worded thread from a staff member about a topic that is discussed a lot. I also love the title.
    Most of the points I wanted to raise are already said by @superplus @Cheetosdust and @Yash Pratap Singh.
    Two points I'd like to add:
    • The recents tab is much better experienced in the web version to stay up to date with ongoing conversations and threads.
    • I can go to the source of the quoted message and hence understand the conversation in a thread only in the Web version.
    The community app is, however better for 2 things in my opinion:
    • The recommended threads are much easily discovered in the app.
    • While I'm answering threads in a particular section like Starting point, I find the app to be much more convenient as I sort to latest created thread and scroll easily. (This is possible in web too, but much more convenient through the app).

hennes, luxuskamel, Caomhin and 13 others like this.
  13. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 30, 2021

Oreo. , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I think this was long awaited!

I use both app and web. But most preferably app.

luxuskamel, Dresa91 and Mr. BG like this.
  14. Cheetosdust

Yep, and I love that the company is so openly asking for feedback. They could have not mention the results of that survey, for example.

The optimist in me believes that something good will come out of this.

If so, everyone will win. And the community is literally being invited to participate.

hennes, luxuskamel, Caomhin and 12 others like this.
  15. B_Wrath
    Nougat Mar 30, 2021

B_Wrath , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Oh come on! We gave the feedback a couple of years ago. This is just like reinventing the wheel:rolleyes:
    We asked all these and at the end of the day, we get OnePlus Store and the useless RCC integrated into the community app. o_O
    You were always an over-optimist :rolleyes:
    So, the launch of the new community app have "co-created with community" tag? Albeit missing all the things we asked? o_O

16. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Though I use app more than web community but still community App lacks basis things like
    1. refreshing a larger thread !
    2. No support for fonts styling
    3. Navigation among threads is difficult
    4. Multi quote is not supported
    5. Some forms ,links, images doesn't open properly in app this needs to be opened in browser!
    6. No option to check RPs on app ! Always need check via web community

17. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 30, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Some reasons I use app-
    1. Easier to open
    2. "Modern UI"
    3. Quick (but shitty) image insertion
    4. Feedback tool with BR collection
    5. Smoother and fast like and single quote experience
    6. Check in....which gives XP
    I hope that these two posts give you clarity on the choices made by a daily community user 👀 and I hope that we all benefit from this co creation of the new and improved ™️ community app. 😎

hennes, superplus, Dresa91 and 6 others like this.
  18. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Mar 30, 2021

Mr. BG , Mar 30, 2021 :
    First, I'm often using my iPad of iMac for forums, so I have to use the Web version.

But then, the app is on my device, and I don't use it because it lacks so much of the functionality.

I'll quote the responses that cover almost everything:

hennes, luxuskamel, Caomhin and 13 others like this.
  19. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Thanks for this thread @Zach X.!
    I'm using the community app, but sometimes it's imperative to use the browser... Unfortunately...
    It's really painful using the app... That's sure...
    The user experience isn't the same comparatively using the browser... Sometimes I reported problems and suggestions ... But I stopped doing it because I clearly think that OnePlus is not interested in "wasting time" to make the app functional when there is a browser version, which most users use and is much superior. I have already mentioned it here on the forum several times, I even think that it must be necessary to be a NASA scientist for the app to be functional ... Unfortunately. Hope one day the user experience will be the same on both...but that day is far, far...

hennes, luxuskamel, TibiTibi and 13 others like this.
  20. rh94
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

21. B_Wrath
    Nougat Mar 30, 2021

B_Wrath , Mar 30, 2021 :
    By the way, wasn't there an OEF for the community app? Or was it for the community as a whole?