Quick Question: Why do you prefer Community Web to community App?

1. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow Mar 31, 2021

luxuskamel , Mar 31, 2021 :
    @Zach X. Have you thought about making the app open source? I know that OnePlus has a light open source history, but I would see potential. Since most people use the forums on the phone a good app could actually improve the experience over the web.
    Being open source has the advantage that while you can normally work on the app, you will also get contributions from community members who want to implement features, mods, bug fixes, and Easter eggs (or unofficial forks if you don't like some modifications)

What would speak against open sourcing the forums app, right? (Nothing to worry if there's no shady stuff going on...) :p

2. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 31, 2021

derLenno , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Good to see improvements being made to the app. Here are some things that the app lacks.

• Reply/Quote pop-up when you mark text from replies.
    • Display emojis correctly. They're either broken or don't show at all.
    • Sections such as raffles just aren't there.
    • Zero text formatting options.
    • Looks outdated.
    • No feature to @ other users. You're practically blind-tagging. Which might be alright if it's YRJ, but it's impossible to tag a @Zach X.

There are many things right with the app, but many things wrong. No formatting & no emojis make it harder to both understand the intention behind other people's texts as well as express oneself properly. No tagging means it's harder to interact with other members, or even to recommend a thread/user to others.

Thanks for listening

Shubham_Ag., Zach X., McJader and 7 others like this.
  3. strafer
    Lollipop Mar 31, 2021

strafer , Mar 31, 2021 :
    I assume all problems with community app were listed on page 1.
    Since four years there is a sticky thread I opened to tell the world that the "app is crap". Since four years there was no reason to delete that thread. So why should I use the app?
    I know @hennes offered you to use the compression module of his really famous compression app which is on top level. And you didn't even give him an answer. You were offered a piece of software you obviously weren't, aren't and won't be able to develop and you spurned it.
    Do you really think I would believe one moment you would suddenly do that app better because of this thread? I believe you won't eliminate any existing failures but ad some funny colors and some more useless functions with new failures inside like you did several times before.

Shubham_Ag., hennes, derLenno and 9 others like this.
  4. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 31, 2021

the_o2 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Looks like app is improved alot in term of Optimization, good to know about this :)

McJader, superplus, Caomhin and 3 others like this.
  5. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Mar 31, 2021

TibiTibi , Mar 31, 2021 :
    The app needs to improve both UI and UX.
    Improve the pages loading. Improve the presentation of the text and graphical content.

Improve the rendering issues, improve the notifications page. Improve the navigation.
    Sometimes connection errors in the app e.g. for the daily check-in make me not happy.

6. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 31, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Possibly a combination of things, OOS, Launcher App, Community App maybe more. Am sure all will have contributed in some way. Just the limitations as mentioned throughout this thread.

Give it a try, as you were more familiar with the older versions, you would be able to give a good insight to how you fare out with it now, minus the limitations mentioned. 👍

KaranRIyer, Bobbie63, the_o2 and 2 others like this.
  7. abhilashjain
    Eclair Mar 31, 2021

8. McLarenMania
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

McLarenMania , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Mar 31, 2021 :
    You should look at Reddit features and try to copy/emulate some of this. I like the app for fast access and prefer it rather than the web. I am not a super user so happy with ability to create posts and reply to posts. Multiquote is a bit of a mess but can live with it. OP community is a great fan base and I am glad to be part of it

Caomhin likes this.
  9. Davidoff21
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2021

10. AzureB1te
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

11. BetiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2021

BetiK , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Congratulations @superplus 👏👏👏👏👏
    You have said well. said:
    I dare to suggest something else that have been bothering me lot.
    Becomes a marathon to find a photo when we want to publish on the threads, because they appear all mixed up.
    It would be much easier if we could open the folders as they are in the gallery file. I hope I managed to explain myself clearly.
    I'm in the statistics part that only uses the app to publish and view community news. I think the computer version is very complicated.
    Anyway, the most important thing is to keep in touch and suggest improvements.
    @Vickie L. @Zach X.
    Best regards to all from Brazil 🇧🇷

the_o2, Zach X., hennes and 4 others like this.

12. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 31, 2021

McJader , Mar 31, 2021 :
    This is a good point I agree to.

hennes, Caomhin, BetiK and 1 other person like this.
  13. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Mar 31, 2021

mojoyoyo77 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Mainly because of the Google translator, although it is not only that, I prefer the computer screen as well as the keyboard, mouse, much more comfortable

B_Wrath, superplus and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 31, 2021

Bobbie63 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Tbh, I tried it last month and I still hated it. I can't remember when the app was launched, must have been somewhere end 2017 early 2018, could be later though. In all these years none of the earlier mentioned issues have been addressed although people have been complaining since the launch of the app. I can't speak for others but I'm really done with this app as I haven't seen any significant improvement over the years.

the_o2, B_Wrath, luxuskamel and 3 others like this.
  15. Itjayesh
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

16. Rahul.emmidy
    Eclair Mar 31, 2021

17. Optimus_Prime_07
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2021

Optimus_Prime_07 , via OnePlus 3 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    I would prefer Community App but it needs lot's of upgrades. There are many big bugs and there should be a stable update with older OnePlus Devices also.There should be a Team like Lab, Ninja for the Upgrades of Community App, because it is the best Community and it has lot's of potential and marvelous people in it that will take this to an another level.

18. soumyanil315
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2021