Quick Question: Why do you prefer Community Web to community App?

1. rhyd1am
    KitKat Mar 31, 2021

rhyd1am , Mar 31, 2021 :
    The app is one of those things in life, that I want to like. Around a year ago I decided to go all in with the app (mainly out of curiosity), to see if it was actually possible to just use the app alone.

I've got used to the app quite a lot now, and going about my day, I usually go straight to the app if I've got a few minutes spare and just want to browse threads.

That said, if I ever find myself needing to do anything worthwhile (yes that includes the fancy colours 😅), then there's really no choice but to use the web. I've lost track of the number of times during the last year of using the app, that I've spent 5-10 minutes typing out a reply to someone, inserting links etc, only to find at the end of it all that the app refuses to post my reply, and I have to go to the web after all to post it anyway.

Although I mostly use the app these days, there is definitely despite some arguably meaningless improvements, a half baked feel to it when compared to the web experience, but I find that's the case with most forums. Take XDA for example, similar experience there (web is infinitely better than their app).

Just my 2 cents worth, as most things have already been said 🙂

the_o2, Zach X., luxuskamel and 5 others like this.
  2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 31, 2021

Bobbie63 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Your perseverance is admirable. :)

20210331_193234.gif

the_o2, luxuskamel, Caomhin and 3 others like this.
  3. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Mar 31, 2021

hennes , Mar 31, 2021 :
    There is a lot to say about the app, but most of it has been summarized by @superplus
    here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...o-community-app.1410602/page-11#post-23008558

@Yash Pratap Singh. here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...y-web-to-community-app.1410602/#post-23005606

and @McJader hier:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...y-web-to-community-app.1410602/#post-23005643

Also the statement of @BetiK
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...o-community-app.1410602/page-15#post-23010986

and @strafer
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...o-community-app.1410602/page-15#post-23010263
    are helpful.

IMPORTANT:
    I just want to say my opinion, I don't want to offend or badmouth anyone, it's just my view of things I'm describing here, so please don't be mad just because I say so, they are however some of the reasons why I don't use this app.

So let's leave the summary aside, they are helpful but I fear that the app would have to be renovated from scratch. Not because it's bad, it just is, the comments and the sites I linked above show that clearly, but because it was only developed on the side by a few or even maybe only by one ever-changing person. The concept of the app has been inflated more and more without taking care of the bugs, there is clearly a lack of a structured flowchart for the app here.
    This already starts with the fact that OnePlus does not even use a unique package name, yes the app is already older than the OnePlus Switch app and yes oneplus.net is also still used on the web version, because there are still countless avatar images and they want to keep the old threads in the archive. But I would actually welcome it if OnePlus would use a uniform package name and not with com.oneplus.backuprestore for the Switch App, net.oneplus.forums for the Community App, cn.oneplus.camera for the Camera App show that there is somehow no structure behind it. Yes, this is not a big problem, it's just the package name and can be whatever it wants, but it's just a sign that there is no internal structure for something like this, and nothing has been defined uniformly. As I said, it's not a big deal, but that's exactly what's going on in all apps, somehow all apps look different, the Switch app is fresh and clear, just not up to date because it doesn't support a native Dark Theme, the OnePlus Community app does support the Dark Theme, but you can't set it individually, i.e. you can't change it in the app. While the Switch app works with CardViews that have a border, the Community app has lists with barely visible separators or borders. All apps also for example the gallery app differs from all apps, the headline is at the top, while in the Switch app at first nothing comes.

Screenshot_20210331-180928.jpg Screenshot_20210331-180918.jpg Screenshot_20210331-180902.jpg
    All of them look different.

Ok, I think these are enough examples to show what I mean, the apps have no corporate identity, you don't recognize the OnePlus brand and because of this it also keeps getting, which to me means everyone do what he want because there is no guideline, there is no in-house default. I remember you did a PMChallenge in 2019 (https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/pmchallenge-and-the-winner-is.1008958/) what the design should look like, the winner @Its.Leandroo won this:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/pmchallenge-reworked-oxygenos-experience.1002709/
    But somehow this was not consistently transferred to the apps and a consistent line is missing.
    Ok, these are all things that only lead to the fact that there seems to be little structure, but what is even worse is that actually since years a lot of things are criticized, it starts with the fact that no proper photo upload is implemented, that the APP does not work if AdGuard, NetGuard or any firewall is used and only the app is unblocked. When someone uses tolls like that, than it is acknowledged with the Logcat response='Ahhh no internet. Find a cafe nearby.'}. :( Really. ok, i stop talking about that, but it happens because of the following. So, what's more, you are installing 5 tacking tools:
    https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/de/reports/net.oneplus.forums/latest/

Facebook Analytics
    Facebook Login
    Facebook Share
    Google CrashLytics
    Google Firebase Analytics

among them are several analysis tools, and you do not manage to determine where thins went wrong? Yes the logins for google and facebook I can still understand in this sense, but why do you need 3 analysis tools if they do not help you and you still ask here for our opinion, I consider these trackers then also superfluous.
    Furthermore, the lists are overloaded, compared to the web version where only the headline and the author, the date in it, the lists in the app are filled with text snippets and mini thumbnails, without really recognizable dividing line it makes the whole thing confusing, although you can separate the API very nice and could omit the images, you do not do it and or does not offer it as an option.

Just to have said that, I do not want to make anyone personally bad here, I'm here since 2014 and I like the devices and on the whole also the OS, even if it is for my daily needs simply too much to third parties, but I think that the app is simply due to the pressure that little time for it is there and it was just quickly stamped out of the ground. I had the fun to quickly write an app that queries the images of the photo contest via the API, and yes it only took an hour to test it. What I want to say is that your API is powerful enough and with this interface the app could work much better with what others have already said here.

Just my 10 cent

the_o2, Cheetosdust, Zach X. and 12 others like this.
  4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 31, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Good one @hennes ! 👍🏼

5. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 31, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Good write-up. My apologies for the thread you linked having broken images, apparently something went wrong on OnePlus's side, because they no longer have the proper URL.

But indeed, the lack of consistency, polish, and dedication is very noticeable. Most apps (not just the community app) feel like they have been rushed, gave up on finding good solutions to issues, and I believe most apps need a proper rewrite.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate OnePlus, OxygenOS, or the apps. I just feel incredibly disappointed, as a designer and developer, to see software that doesn't get the attention it deserves and need.

As far as the community app goes, not only does it lack features, it doesn't have a good user flow that guides users (especially new ones) to the right location, which from my point of view contributes to many of the misplaced threads and comments, simply because it's too difficult to find the right place (and Search is broken).

---

To @Zach X. ; I'm willing to help out to give you guys guidance and advice (like I have done quite a lot over the past two years), so if you want to contact me, either ask in DMs, or contact me via WeChat if that's more convenient for you (Crystal should have my WeChat name).

the_o2, Cheetosdust, hennes and 7 others like this.
  6. zeppFR
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

7. Sorriso_NWK
    Honeycomb Mar 31, 2021

Sorriso_NWK , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Ah-hah! So illuminating. I never understood how some posts were bedazzled. I use the app but the browser options are cool. I might give it a try.

8. J.e.F
    Froyo Mar 31, 2021

J.e.F , via OnePlus 5T , Mar 31, 2021 :
    🤓 I think I had forgotten that web browser version of the forum 😂

Indeed it is convenient to get notifications and just touch to read.

However text edition tool is really missing, as well as an auto suggest tagging.

superplus and Bobbie63 like this.
  9. V1616612797144
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2021

10. 95_deepak
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

11. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 1, 2021

McJader , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Very interesting to read an app dev's POV. Bravo!
    I hope they take your help in rebuilding the app

12. Knordor
    Eclair Apr 1, 2021

13. YAJIV4VIJAY
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

14. Thamimansari
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

15. geoxar
    Honeycomb Apr 1, 2021

geoxar , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Improving the community app is very welcome and I am looking forward to see the final outcome.

I personally use always the community app despite all the bugs it has, because I use my phone in general for the 99% of the activities I do daily. YouTube, football games, browsing, everything goes through my phone. I use my laptop only for programming and video processing anyway. That said I wish to a better OnePlus community mobile app!

I have reported few issues about the community app in the past but most of them are still present. Hopefully this time you will take the feedback seriously and you will focus on fixing bugs instead of just designing a more funcy UI.

1. Please enable the app to work with split screen feature as I love watching YouTube videos in my phone and at the same time navigating to the OnePlus community through the mobile app.

2. Please fix the following bug when one edits a post that has already been posted before: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...e-when-editing-already-existing-post.1349078/

3. Please fix the following bug where posted feedback description is not visible through the mobile app, only the feedback title is visible: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-community-app-bug-when-posting-feedback.1324397/

4. Please fix the following bug where the social tab red dot remains red although all posts are read: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-community-app-issue-with-social-red-dot.1284413/

5. Please fix the following scrolling bug: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-and-returning-back-to-the-post-list.1282970/

I am happily volunteering to test the community app for free when you have a new version of it to further help you on this.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to a better OnePlus community app!

Cheers!

16. Getraje
    Froyo Apr 1, 2021

Getraje , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Why do we prefer mobile over land line phone
    Why do we prefer theater in movie over OTT in TV
    Why do we prefer car over bike...... Infinity etc....

Same reason we prefer app over web

17. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Apr 1, 2021

TibiTibi , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I digged this out from the past.

Created: Aug 23, 2019

McJader, B_Wrath, hennes and 5 others like this.
  18. GopalB.
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

GopalB. , Apr 2, 2021 :
    And i would still love to see this... :)

the_o2, B_Wrath, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.