random Op8T restarts

1. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

digitalboy , Jul 29, 2021 :
    Good morning guys.
    I have owned an OP8T for about a month and I have the problem that, for no apparent cause, I find the phone that has restarted by itself in stand-by.
    it does not happen while I use it but always when I wake it up from stand-by.
    Do you have any idea, does it happen to you too?

puccellino and Gor.V like this.
  2. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2021

Aaron2017 , Jul 29, 2021 :
    Do you mean that once in a while you have to unlock it with your pincode and the fingerprint or face unlock doesn't work? Because Android has an extra security measure built in that requires you to unlock it with your pin once and a while.(maybe once a day or every two days, don't know exactly). This happens on all Android devices as far as i know.

J4t1np4r3kh and Gor.V like this.
  3. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

no look it restarts for sure.
    I also see it from the system information.

Gor.V likes this.
  4. Gor.
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2021

Gor. , Jul 29, 2021 :
    Hey there.

Do you mean to say that you experience random restarts?

Xcommunicad0 and Aaron2017 like this.
  5. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

exactly

6. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2021

Could be because of a third party app. You can use it in safe mode for a while, this will disable all third party apps, see if it restarts again or not. If it doesn't happen again you know it's because of a third party app and can start searching which one causes it. I'll leave a guide about safe mode as well, in case you don't know how to access it.
    https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/oneplus-8t-plus-5g/safe-mode-oneplus-8t-plus-5g

7. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

thanks for your contribution.
    i know the safe mode ...
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) reboots are rare (maximum 1 time per day)
    so i can't keep my phone safe all this time.
    I care that it's not a hardware problem ...
    and I don't know how to verify it.

8. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2021

Yes, i understand. Do you know when this first started happening and if you installed new apps around that same time? Could help in finding which app may cause it, if it's caused by an app. You could try a factory reset as well, or contact support via their official website, see what they have to say about it.

puccellino and Gor.V like this.
  9. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

unfortunately doing a wipe data, for me it is a big inconvenience ...
    I would do it just if I was convinced to solve but I'm not sure!
    now I try to understand by analyzing if it may depend on third-party apps .... In the end I will feel the assistance, damn it.

10. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, factory reset is a big pain, i can relate. And there's no guarantee that it'll fix this so it might all be for nothing. Maybe contact support then, see if they have some other options for you to try.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021

Gor.V likes this.
  11. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 29, 2021

I will do so thanks

12. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 30, 2021

digitalboy , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Today, for example, the phone restarted as soon as I got into the car. I had unplugged it from charging 10 minutes earlier.
    it is already the second time it has happened at the same juncture.
    let me know thanks.

13. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2021

Aaron2017 , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Well, then i think the factory reset might be worth a try. Or visit a service center if you are able to, if not contact support.

Gor.V likes this.
  14. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 30, 2021

yesterday i contacted support via chat
    but unfortunately the operator has disconnected

15. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2021

Aaron2017 , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Yes, unfortunately they are not the best support out there to put it mildly. I would keep trying, maybe call them for the more direct approach.

Gor.V likes this.
  16. Gor.
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2021

Gor. , Jul 30, 2021 :
    In my opinion, why not try the factory reset option as suggested. Who knows, it may reduce or eliminate your hassle of chasing OnePlus Support if that works.

I believe contacting the center should be your completely final option when all other available options fail to solve.

Ultimately, it's your choice on going with whichever option you find convenient. Good luck :).

Xcommunicad0 and digitalboy like this.
  17. digitalboy
    Froyo Jul 30, 2021

you are absolutely right.
    i am trying to provide a logkit to oneplus so they can analyze
    what causes it, but as the reboots are random, don't let it start before the bug-check is logged.
    I'll try any way.

Then I will try the way of the Wipe-Data (even if I am convinced that it does not solve)

Gor.V likes this.
  18. puccellino
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2021

puccellino , Jul 31, 2021 :
    Hi,

Can I ask if you had this problem since the day you got the phone?

The advice you have been given above is good, just a few questions. You mention it switched off when you get in the car, just after charging? .

How hot is the phone after charging, and what is the ambient temperature. Could it switch off due to over heating?

Also, I agree it's an absolute pain to do a factory reset. I presume you have cleared cache, and also cleared history in your browser? If not try clearing cache by switching phone off and pressing the power button and power down at the same time. (You may well have done this, as you said you were aware of safe mode.

The last thing you can try is removing all apps and reinstalling them one by one to see if one triggers the switching off. I do understand all this is time consuming......but I thought I'd mention it.

Gor.V, digitalboy and Aaron2017 like this.
  19. Gor.
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2021

Gor. , Jul 31, 2021 :
    💪👍

Xcommunicad0 likes this.
  20. digitalboy
    Froyo Aug 2, 2021

digitalboy , Aug 2, 2021 :
    good morning guys.
    I am making attempts to understand the cause of the spontaneous reboots of the device.
    my attempts were:
    -Wipe the recovery cache (not resolving)
    -Remove superfluous third-party apps (not resolving)
    -Safe mode (phone did not restart)
    but, back in the operating mode, the phone started restarting again.

Last Friday, however, I read on this forum that a user had had the same problem, attributing the cause to PRIVATE DNS.
    Well I use (indeed I used) dns.adguard.com
    has been using it since I had OP6, then on the 7T and now on the 8T.

I tried to disable it and it seems that the phone hasn't had spontaneous reboots since then. (see Attachment)

I sincerely hope this is the problem
    I keep you informed.

Attached Files: