Third Party Software Random Reboot During Navigation Apps (Waze/Google Maps)

1. F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2016

F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS , Oct 24, 2016 :
    Indeed, got the same message.
    Every. Freaking. Time.

For me it was not preventing the use of the app though, it's just VERY annoying...

2. grichenko
    Cupcake Oct 26, 2016

grichenko , Oct 26, 2016 :
    Just got the OP3 yesterday. This morning had two reboots in about 15 minutes, then multiple reboots while testing Waze.

My 2c:
    - high accuracy location
    - single SIM 1 (AT&T network)
    - offline maps in GMaps (the first reboot was after starting Waze, closing, starting GMaps; the second reboot was while using GMaps only, though Waze was still in the recent apps list).
    - bluetooth on and playing music
    - battery at 100% but still connected to a non-dash charger

After that I've tried to test Waze and GMaps while sitting or walking around my office with OP3 in my pocket. Waze resulted in rebooting in just a few minutes many times. GMaps did not force rebooting yet, but I'm still testing.

It looks like:
    - orientation does not matter
    - having screen on/off does not matter
    - having anything connected through BT does not matter (though having BT on may be important)

I'd also suspect bad radio reception (cell, wifi, bt) as the reason for this bug. On my old phone (android 4.2) I had a lot of problems like dropped bluetooth connections when cell/wifi signal is lost. Something like this could explain why reboots are so random.

PS: I have stock 3.2.7 (auto-updated yesterday), not rooted.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  3. Deactivated User
    Oct 26, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  4. grichenko
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2016

grichenko , Oct 27, 2016 :
    Small update: I've tested with 'high accuracy location' off (GPS only mode) and Waze is still rebooting the phone. So:
    - location mode: device only vs high accuracy - does not matter

OTOH, I was not able to make Google Maps to reboot again - spent more than one hour driving and a few hours keeping it on on my table or in the pocket.

Edit: It looks like I was wrong, Waze does not reboot the device, but rather closes without any messages. When I unlocked the phone and didn't see it, I was sure that was due to rebooting, but it's not true.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  5. afafontes
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2016

6. ThoR294
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2016

ThoR294 , Oct 28, 2016 :
    Just rebooted twice on me. High accuracy, no bluetooth.

can someone from OnePlus actually acknowledge this? I am about 5 seconds away from rooting my damn phone.

7. ThoR294
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2016

ThoR294 , Oct 28, 2016 :
    Just happened AGAIN within 15min of starting navigation

And again 10 min later

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

8. snixel
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2016

snixel , Oct 29, 2016 :
    Yesterday i did a 2hour trip from belgium to Holland using Google maps. The phone must have rebooted around 10 times. Very annoying!
    During the trip i tested various scenario's and i can conform The following;

-clearing Google maps cache does not help
    -setting high accuracy or device only gps does not help
    -using car charger or Dash charger or No charger does not help
    -connected to bluetooth or No bluetooth does not help

I still think the issue is related to The screen sleepmode setting because when i put it to Max (30min) it doesnt happen, but this can just be coincidense since the phone sometimes reboots 3 times in 5min and sometimes i can drive 20min straight without a problem.

When i return i'll try to test and see if i can drive 30min straight with sleepmode put to 30min aswell.

Two weeks ago i was in Prague for 4 days and pretty much used Google maps The entire day as walking gps and it never rebooted. The only thing that changed since then is a Google maps update (v9.39.2) and me changing The screen sleepmode setting. OOS is the same v3.2.7 and i haven't rooted.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

9. G_Szymon_Brzostek_xROQ
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2016

G_Szymon_Brzostek_xROQ , Oct 31, 2016 :
    Sadly random reboots happen to me as well using Google maps in landscape mode.

Update: today I've been crusing around for one hour with not even single reboot. I set up localization to Device Only.
    Anyone else can confirm that?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

10. braud
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2016

braud , Nov 2, 2016 :
    I used honor 7 for one year with same activity as today op3 and GPS never crashed not lost signal whereas op3 lost GPS everyday. I m not happy with that

11. braud
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2016

braud , Nov 2, 2016 :
    I m pretty sure the issue comes from a change of network antenna. When you drive it changes often and quickly, but when you walk it never changes. Op has to fix this big problem

12. ThoR294
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2016

ThoR294 , Nov 3, 2016 :
    Rooted phone, TWRP, and Cyanogenmod 13 nightly 11/1/2016... it rebooted during waze.
    what the ****

13. snixel
    Cupcake Nov 9, 2016

snixel , Nov 9, 2016 :
    Update: Ever since google maps updateded to v9.40.2 I havn't had any reboots. Drove multiple times for +-30min using gps the last few days without any issues. Knocking on wood

ThoR294 likes this.
  14. snixel
    Cupcake Nov 16, 2016

snixel , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Update: Spoke too soon! Yesterday it rebooted again during a trip of 20min. I saw someone else post in a different thread it might be related to night mode. Don't know if this is true but i don't recall it ever rebooting in day mode. Can anyone else confirm?

But anyway, it's clearly a bug OnePlus needs to address...

15. Louca21
    Eclair Nov 16, 2016

Louca21 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    I Agree with you, My Phone has been sent to Arvato twice due to the random reboots and on both sets of test results, the phone has been diagnosed with bad service connection. As I've said to many people on this forum, i don't believe the problem is related to GPS software, but linked to the fact that the phone is attempting to connect to GPS antennas... its definitely a hardware fault, as I've managed to get my phone to reboot straight after a factory reset, with no sim card installed.

16. braud
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2016

braud , Nov 19, 2016 :
    I solved the problem with GPS only (never use high precision)

17. lipe123
    Froyo Nov 23, 2016

lipe123 , Nov 23, 2016 :
    Yesterday I drive to and from a city 4h away with waze and car charger, everything worked amazing with no reboots.
    This morning I drive to work for 40mins and my phone reboots TWICE while driving.

Same car, same charger, same app wtf?

I tried to get the syslogs with the syslog app but everything was cleared from after the reboot, WHY the heck would the log be wiped out after a reboot when that is the one most important thing to actually figure out what caused it?!

18. Doko05
    Froyo Nov 24, 2016

Doko05 , Nov 24, 2016 :
    I am also experiencing random reboots on Google Maps navigation... I tried clearing Google Maps cache and that seems to have helped a bit since the app update itself a few weeks ago.

19. rodriguezr36
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2016

rodriguezr36 , Nov 26, 2016 :
    Came here to acknowledge that I too experienced these random reboots. I was driving yesterday on a short 30 minute trip and the the phone restarted 3 times while using maps. I'm on OS version 3.2.7. I'm gonna try turning high accuracy off and see if that changes anything.

20. KejPik
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2016

KejPik , Nov 26, 2016 :
    I was navigating for 20 minutes in Waze today and the phone rebooted was well :-(