random reboots after Oreo Update

1. Juarez805
    Eclair Nov 25, 2017

Juarez805 , Nov 25, 2017 :
    Hi Everyone,

i recently updated to the new oreo OTA build and it seems that i have been getting random reboots when in use. its happens randomly during apps or when i just unlock the screen. I was never on beta and I also cleared cache. I still get random reboots. battery is always charged so I know its not battety. This issue also did not happen when I was on the previous build. I am not sure if anyone is having similar issues or if anyone has a solution. Thanks

2. Android450
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2017

3. Juarez805
    Eclair Nov 28, 2017

Juarez805 , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Hi there,

No i am not using PiP. The phone reboots happen randomly. it actually happened again about 5 min, which is why i was checking back on my post lol Anyhow, just before my phone revooted i had no apps opened at all and I opened the Google Play store and about 2 seconds later it rebooted on its own. last time it happed i was on the chrome browser and i was browsibg best buy and it just rebooted randomly. the firat time it happened was even weirder...inwas just navigating through my apps and boom a reboot....its more annoying than anything....at least the reboots are much quicker than they used to be, but i never had this issue before. I know everyone says clear cache...which i did a and about 2 days ago i also backed up all data and factory reset my device and no success with that. I am pretty much lost on what to do next...sadly this only started happening after Oreo update...

4. Android450
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2017

Android450 , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Seems like this is rather rare. What I can recommend is trying re-flashing the update. Then go into recovery and wipe the data then before rebooting go ahead a wipe system settings. When you reboot again it will take a couple minutes, but hopefully that works.

5. Juarez805
    Eclair Nov 29, 2017

Juarez805 , Nov 29, 2017 :
    I just flashed the update and again....i will update on my findings. Thanks again

6. Juarez805
    Eclair Nov 30, 2017

Juarez805 , Nov 30, 2017 :
    did not seem to fix issue. unit keeps rebooting. The phone rebooted 3 timea today while opening youtube...very annoying. I wish i could undo the update....

7. Android450
    Marshmallow Nov 30, 2017

8. Juarez805
    Eclair Nov 30, 2017

Android450 likes this.
  9. Bubba10
    Gingerbread Dec 6, 2017

Bubba10 , Dec 6, 2017 :
    Has been happening to me too for the last week or so. No specific pattern sometimes it's a normal reboot whereas other times it goes into a bootloop. I have to shutdown and then flash the ROM again. Home and menu button stopped working for a while (both hard and soft buttons) but now it has gone back to normal again. It keeps doing it despite me flashing it a few times now.
    I hate to do a factory reset. Anyone else with similar problem found a solution?

10. sshankar8055
    Cupcake Dec 10, 2017

sshankar8055 , Dec 10, 2017 :
    Yes. It's been happening for me too. I happened to find out that is related to the Recovery that's installed.

The issue seems to calm down once you re-flash the Recovery. May I know which recovery are you using?

11. G_Masymul_Arif_Ishak_CVo
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2017

G_Masymul_Arif_Ishak_CVo , Dec 19, 2017 :
    I encounter the same issue. I'll try your solution by flashing the latest twrp

12. amrprsad
    Gingerbread Dec 20, 2017

amrprsad , Dec 20, 2017 :
    Me too plagued with the restart bug. Mine enters into self reboot cycle. @Bubba10 @Cesar Juarez @sshankar8055 @G_Masymul_Arif_Ishak_CVo .
    Just in case you haven't shifted back to Nougat Stable or Beta

Workaround: During boot animation, press and hold the power button to enter Recovery mode. Wipe out cache and dalvik cache and reboot. Self reboot will stop.

My personal finding. These random reboots are usually post uninstalling of existing apps, installation of new apps (not updates) and when any app opens up with root permissions (Yes, I rooted) or is given root permission. When any of the above conditions are met it goes into self restart cycle. Usually within few minutes to maximum a hour. Could even happen when the phone is idle. But will definitely happen, just do the workaround .

pgn0 likes this.
  13. kyan31
    Honeycomb Dec 23, 2017

kyan31 , Dec 23, 2017 :
    Same thing is happening to me, very annoying. Random reboots and network loss with mobile data too.

14. Bubba10
    Gingerbread Dec 26, 2017

Bubba10 , Dec 26, 2017 :
    I went back to stable nougat after a while. Today I have updated magisk to v15, anyone tried v15 with Oreo yet?

15. RemcoNL
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2018

RemcoNL , Jan 2, 2018 :
    I have the same problem. I can't even reflash to 4.5 because the phone reboots before file transfer is complete (at 10-15% already).