[Rant] Legitimate Interest

1. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 22, 2021

Mr. BG , Jun 22, 2021 :
    Can someone explain me what the foggy faraway this is about?

ACA5FC5D-ECE4-4C9F-9899-67D9F033CA2F.jpeg

That's it, no further explanation, this is it.

As I see it it only means:
    "To hell with your consent, we will share our use your personal data because we make money with it, so shut the f**k up and hand us your whole life or we'll take it from your cold, dead hands..."

What is it anyway, well, according to it governance.eu it means this:

Now, that's marvellously vague isn't it? Here is some more info from the same article, it's a good one to read, it's slightly written from the business perspective...

Right, I guess this is where most online marketeers stopped reading, leading to the crap content we see every day when visiting whatever website. Doesn't mean they can just go on, or for us to accept this.

What's your opinion on "Legitimate Interest", please leave your thoughts below.

(Oneliners dropped just for RP hoarding are NOT appreciated)

2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 22, 2021

puccellino, Dresa91, SRD. and 3 others like this.
  3. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Jun 22, 2021

puccellino, SRD., the_o2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jun 22, 2021

Tokolozi , Jun 22, 2021 :
    This alone:
    "The data subject should reasonably expect their data to be used in that way."

What can we reasonably expect lately from companies.

Hell looking at the past, instead of just trying to comply with GDPR, most websites just geo locked us instead....

There isn't a "reasonable" doubt that every website of any company likes to do whatever they want with your data. Consent or not, they know more often or not, people just quickly click accept all to get rid of the pop-up!

puccellino, Dresa91, SRD. and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 22, 2021

Mr. BG , Jun 22, 2021 :
    What about you check on that buddy ;)

Nah, it isn't, they just take what they want because "Legitimate Interest" :mad:

Agreed, they make it so that visiting a website is impossible without you consenting to even provide the colour of your nickers :rolleyes:

Dresa91, puccellino, Tokolozi and 2 others like this.
  6. puccellino
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2021

puccellino , Jun 23, 2021 :
    That's no excuse for you to go commando ....😖

On a serious note though, I agree, it's becoming far more difficult for you to keep your personal information to yourself.

And the ways this information can be used for illegitimate purposes is becoming more and more inventive.

Actually it would be great if someone starts a knowledge information thread, on what we can do to protect ourselves.

7. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jun 23, 2021

ghostofcain , Jun 23, 2021 :
    It has the look to me of something sneaked into the GDPR legislation to allow businesses / Governments a get out, it's certainly another worry.

I think the first step is divorcing yourself from Google / Google services, and for many of us that's a step too far.

8. puccellino
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2021

puccellino , Jun 23, 2021 :
    A very valid point.......I thought about it a few years ago, and you are right, for me it's possibly too late.

What annoys me as well, are the number of large companies who insist they need your personal details when they don't actually, e.g. why do they need your email address and phone number when you buy new tyres!

9. SRD.
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2021

SRD. , Jun 23, 2021 :
    Data privacy is a myth and there is only one truth "Legitimate Interest" ... Nice read @Mr. BG

Mr. BG, pkg3107, Tokolozi and 2 others like this.
  10. SRD.
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2021

SRD. , Jun 23, 2021 :
    That's their bread & butter.

I guess 0.00001 % of people actually read the privacy policy. And they take your consent once you enter the website.

Everyone wants everything for free so, adware is an integral part, where websites push notifications based on user's data. That's completely fair.

pkg3107, Tokolozi and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jun 23, 2021

Dresa91 , Jun 23, 2021 :
    Well,… the GDPR,…
    I loved the block about GDPR in the IT Law module of my Master's degree…
    It's nothing half and nothing whole....
    Instead of properly protecting the consumer/user, such fuzzy paragraphs are passed in parliaments...As the data collector, you can always argue that you have a legitimate interest.

It’s the same with the modernisation of the EU Copyright rules (https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/modernisation-eu-copyright-rules) ….

ghostofcain, Tokolozi and SRD. like this.
  12. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jun 23, 2021

ghostofcain , Jun 23, 2021 :
    Again it's all about protecting business not the consumer, or even in the case of copyright not even protecting the artist https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ue-warner-for-18m-over-copyright-infringement

Tokolozi likes this.
  13. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jun 23, 2021

Tokolozi likes this.
  14. pkg3107
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 27, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord , Jun 27, 2021 :
    Companies just need a minor statement that can favour their interests. Here, only the word "MAY" seems to have fulfilled the purpose.

Camera and Mic are shown when in use, think if same happens when data is being shared. 😂

Anyways, things should get better with time, as they are better in EU than here in India. But surely, are improving 🙂

Nice thread 👍

Mr. BG, Tokolozi and Dresa91 like this.