[RE-OPENED] ⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️Contacts apps linked totally unrelated contacts. ⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️

1. manojdotm
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

manojdotm , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Contacts linked totally unrelated contacts. Urgently need to Unlink it. Already called 2-3 wrong numbers due to this.

I've More than 2000 contacts and more than 200 links now showing in app...

Not able to unlink without opening one by one... Any way to disable this option....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Try, settings, apps, 3dot menu, show system apps, go to contacts storage (not contacts), clear cache.

Wipe cache in recovery and sync again

Shouldn't that work, clear data in contacts storage also, wipe cache in recovery and sync again (you'll loose call history though).

Let us know if it worked

3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 8, 2017

dsmonteiro , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Considering that this is not a widely spread issue, are you sure it's not some app causing this behavior?

lostLambda, pablofg1978 and Bobbie63 like this.
  4. Vamshi Krishna_VK
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

Vamshi Krishna_VK , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Even am facing the issue recently. Thought it was limited to me. I manually unlinked some of them. If anyone knows a better solution please do suggest. Thank you

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Yes, but somehow people posting this issue seem to evaporate into thin air after you gave a reply?

Might also be related to that app. :confused:

dsmonteiro likes this.
  6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    1. Did you read the second post?
    2. Did you try the possible solutions in the second post
    3. If you have done #1 and 2, what were the result
    4. Are you willing to post your findings as a reply to the second post in this thread
    5. If you're willing to reply, please do so.
    6. Should the given solution have worked, are you willing to help others?
    7. If you're willing, please do so.
    Thank you

Vamshi Krishna_VK likes this.
  7. manojdotm
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

Hi,

After checking, My Contacts manager Storage is showing as 560MB.

For last 2-3 weeks my Contacts was very slow while searching from dialler... maybe process for this linking was happening in the backend.

Please share your Contacts manager Storage size.

(tried sharing the screenshot from phone... But its stuck in Publishing)

Thanks.

8. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    1.83 MB but how many contacts are in approximately?

But have you tried what I suggested and what are the results?

(hoping you have safe your contacts to your Google account)

9. manojdotm
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

Around 2000 contacts..

Don't wanted to loose call history... So Didn't try clearing Contacts Storage...

Thank you

10. manojdotm
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

And yaaa... Without knowing the root Cause if we Clear the storage, It may come again later...

So didn't clear the Contacts storage.... YET :)

Bobbie63 likes this.
  11. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Well, question would be then, did this start after the latest update?
    Or did it "just" happen?
    Your contacts are still messed up?

Concerning call history, there are apps to backup your call log and SMS history, so you could use one of these.

Well to determine what the cause could be, I don't know about that one as I don't see much information or details if this happens to people here. Not even info on the solution that have been given, besides you.

Edit; I'm not 100% sure call log will be gone as I don't know if this is being backed up by Google also. (I put that line in, just out of safety)

12. manojdotm
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

Hi,

Just Searched again in the forum for "Contacts"

https://forums.oneplus.net/search/15912445/?q=contacts&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=264

and found that so many people are having this issue, but they are put it in different manner. And none of have a proper solution. Started a new topic because none of topics(saw 3 topics when I searched for unlink contacts) were getting enough attention its required.

"hi guys my contacts are fully mixed after the update .. any solution"

"The numbers of my contacts are getting shuffled. Please resolve soon. The same number (of one contact) will be in multiple other (different) contact."

"I have no clue why? but my contacts show me the wrong name for most of my contacts. it's like I call my brother and my sister picks up!!! "

"taking too much time in searching contacts..whst to do??"

"I am facing issue with contacts in one plus 5. Multiple copies of contacts are creating in contact list and also it's merging many contacts "

"the contact number are adding to the names by itself from other names. so if I am calling to or doing WhatsApp message it's going to some one else"

"hi anyone facing the issue of merging on contacts. some contacts are having 2 contact numbers from which only one is dere and other is someone's"

"Hi, My oneplus 5 phone's contacts are shuffled badly. I have now multiple contacts visible with the same name but different numbers."

"Hello , In my oneplus 5 contects are make rename automatically merge names which i saved ..... anybody have this type of issue"

"i recently updated my phone and this contacts started lagging and sometimes they even dont turn up"

"oneplus is linking my random contacts with random numbers and its a total mix and match it is doing on its own"

Is that the reason its not noticed before. Still saying its not an issue.. :-(

Edit:
    Note: Above treads are of last 5-6 days only.

"After the last update, 4.5.13 all my contacts got messed up. I've got 2 phone numbers to one contact. How can I fix this?"

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

G_plusone and Bobbie63 like this.
  13. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I'm not going to read them all because I probably already have seen a few, thing is like you said, last couple of days. That makes me think the update might have something to do with it.

If this occurred after you updated, you might wanna inform OnePlus through the feedback form, found in the first post of the dedicated thread of that specific update.

I've seen this issue before after an update on OP3(T) as if I recall correctly, OP rectified this in a next update. Thing is the solution I gave you worked at that time and did also work for OP5 as I got feedback from (unfortunately just) 2 users.

manojdotm likes this.
  14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 8, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Nov 8, 2017 :
    some others have also reported the same issue.

manojdotm likes this.
  15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 8, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Nov 8, 2017 :
    assuming you have all your contacts already on your Google account, export them to .CSV as well as other formats before proceeding to delete them locally on your device. if things go wrong, you can restore them from that file.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  16. Vamshi Krishna_VK
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

Hi .. I have seen the post and tried the #1 method of clearing the cache but it didn't worked out . I didn't tried #2 coz of risk of losing call logs as others said.

Am yet to try call log backup and restore apps. If any one found any other alternative solution/tried even #2 one i.e, Clearing data , please do quote below.

Thank you

Ps: The thing I did before posting here was manually unlink the duplicated/incorrect contacts and delete them. But as there were many contacts I did for only few of them and left them hoping to restore all of them at once from .csv

Bobbie63 likes this.
  17. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

Bobbie63 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Thx for the info:)

BTW, did it start after the latest update?

Vamshi Krishna_VK likes this.
  18. Vamshi Krishna_VK
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

anytime bro.. Informed the same issue in the Telegram group too just now with link to the thread. Let's see if anyone can find the root cause.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  19. Vamshi Krishna_VK
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

20. Vamshi Krishna_VK
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

Best Answer
    Hi Everyone,

I deleted the contacts from my device and re-synced them from my Google account, it worked for me. The idea was an reply to my post on tg group from @funkwizard

PS: Before trying above, please do export your contacts to
    .vcf or someother and save it in a place. Incase by any chane if you lose contacts/unable to sync from google account, you can import them from there.

Thankyou @Funkwizard, @Bobbie63/All for helping..

Bobbie63 and Funk Wizard like this.