Other Real One Handed Mode

1. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Mar 5, 2020

manuel19 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    The current implementation of the one-handed-mode is more like a reachability gesture than a true one-handed-mode. It puts the content of the screen down for just one click and also behaves very inconsistent.

OxygenOS-One-Handed-Mode-Featured-Image.jpg

I think the community would profit from a one-handed-mode as seen on many other android devices, where all content on the screen shrinks by a third into one bottom corner.

huawei-onehandedmode.jpg

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Apr 2, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Apr 2, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Hello manuel19, thank you for your participation.

According to our research, in most cases, our users activate the one-handed mode to quickly take actions where the thumb cannot reach, rather than keep clicking or swiping at the upper part of the screen for a long period of time. That's why we offer our one-handed mode as a one-time solution: slide down, take action, and go back to full screen.

As the displays on smartphones get bigger, we are also optimizing our interface interactions to create a more friendly one-handed experience to our users.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 5, 2020

YRJ , Mar 5, 2020 :
    The current one-handed mode is more like the reachability feature on my iPhone. I would appreciate a true one-handed mode, indeed.
    Great Idea, @manuel19 Up-voted :)

AbhilashSaikia and manuel19 like this.
  4. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Mar 5, 2020

manuel19 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Exactly. Thanks a lot :)

YRJ likes this.
  5. ronnyhawks320
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2020

manuel19 likes this.
  6. FernandoLagos
    Eclair Mar 6, 2020

FernandoLagos , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The truth is that the way a hand of Samsung and Huawei is not very practical, I like the way it was implemented in OxygenOS but it needs to improve a bit (it is understood that it is not perfect at first). I still support the idea that you can choose the type of mode one hand ... it would be amazing to be able to choose between two or more ways

manuel19 likes this.
  7. ShigBammy
    Eclair Mar 6, 2020

FernandoLagos likes this.
  8. Holair
    Eclair Mar 6, 2020

Holair , Mar 6, 2020 :
    When implemented, we surely need an option to switch iPhone-like reachability and "true" one-handed. Some ppl like iPhone-style implementation.

M1542781786674 and manuel19 like this.
  9. Antonio Scarpati
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

10. tony075
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

tony075 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Or do like Samsung for One Ui and place all the buttons, search bars etc. at the bottom of the apps instead of the top: you can reach them with just one hand.

11. dr_unreal
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

dr_unreal , Mar 6, 2020 :
    How about this: Motorola's chop/wiggle gesture to activate the flashlight.

Instead, the screen gets shrunken to the middle with 3 voids on the sides of the UI: left, right & top.

Pressing the right void shifts the UI to the right & vice versa for the left. The top portion, however, is to return back to the original screen size. When the screen is shifted to the right-side, the top & left voids (when pressed) act as returning the original screen UI size.

12. Abb4d0n
    Eclair Mar 8, 2020

Abb4d0n , Mar 8, 2020 :
    Where is the current one hand mode? Can't find it in the settings of my 7T.

Alexteam16 likes this.
  13. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Mar 10, 2020

David Y. , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Two questions:
    When do we need the one-handed mode?
    What specific task do we want to accomplish?

Don't get trapped by existing solutions. Think out of the box.

Starcommander and Aakash360 like this.
  14. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 10, 2020

Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Exactly. The one which is shown is of no use tbh, but the one which was later removed in the recent beta build for 7 Pro was useful as the top layer of the notification panel is hard to reach at times. It was a quick solution to that. I used it 15-20 times in a day so yeah the one hand mide that was implemented in the previous beta build was helpful not the one given in the Ideas forum.

David Y. likes this.
  15. smoki3
    Gingerbread Mar 11, 2020

smoki3 , Mar 11, 2020 :
    The current one is so much better. Please don't implement such a bad one as Huawei.

I used it so many times to reach the top of the screen. It is so incredibly fast with the swipe down gesture. So please bring it back

16. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Mar 12, 2020

manuel19 , Mar 12, 2020 :
    I often use my phone with one hand, as a lot of people do, I'd say. When I do that, it's for at least a while. With a one-handed mode as on other android devices, it's possible to navigate through the whole os much easier, as long as you need it. With one hand. With the implementation we had, you do the gesture can do one tap at the top, it goes back to full screen, you open another app, have to do the gesture again, then maybe again because you want to do something at the top of the screen again.. you have to do it so often, it's really annoying. I would prefer it for the whole content to stay shrinked for a while, until I don't need it anymore. Also it respects which one hand you're using, left or right. With the thing we had, the content is just halfway down, but if I need to access something in the top left corner with my right hand, it's still very difficult to reach.

On a side note, copying apple is not what I would consider to 'think out of the box'

Thinking out of the box would require me to think of something completely new, but all I end up with when thinking about it, is the solution other android oems offer, as it seems the most reasonable and valuable for me.

Answering your questions in short:
    When? For a while. Not just for one tap. Increasing the duration it stays at the bottom, or fixing it there to not go up automatically would make no sense as half of the content can't be seen anyways
    What tasks? Use the phone with one hand. Not for one tap.

YRJ likes this.
  17. Stobbee
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2020

J1586678324581 likes this.
  18. G1572733605614
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2020

manuel19 likes this.
  19. Zackeroo
    Gingerbread Mar 21, 2020

Zackeroo , Mar 21, 2020 :
    On Samsung, their One-Handed mode is actually really good, and basically just makes everything on the screen smaller and accessible to one hand. Compared to Apple's one-handed mode, this is a massive step up, and I believe OnePlus is definitely capable of making a mode as good as Samsung's implementation

manuel19 likes this.
  20. smoki3
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2020

smoki3 , Mar 28, 2020 :
    I want back the apple style.

They should make it as an option so the user have the choice between both

manuel19 likes this.
  21. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Apr 2, 2020

manuel19 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 2, 2020 :
    I'd absolutely welcome the user being able to choose the style!