Real-World (aka: Accidental) Drop Tests

1. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 21, 2014

ultimusrex , Aug 21, 2014 :
    So I unwittingly performed my first real-world drop test on the OnePlus One last night.

I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can post their own heart-stopping "drop test" experiences, and we can start to get a feel for exactly how durable the phone (and protection accessories) are.

My suggestions are to include:
    • Drop height
    • Impact surface
    • Description of impact and angle (if possible)
    • Specify which (if any) case and/or screen protector was used
    • Description and/or photos of any damage incurred
    ==============================

Here are the details of my drop test

Drop Height: 2.5 feet (76 cm)
    Impact Surface: hardwood flooring
    Impact Angle: unsure, but I believe an edge or corner was hit at some angle, it ultimately landed screen-up, if I recall correctly
    Protective Case: Tudia TPU soft case
    Screen Protector: Nillkin 9H tempered glass protector
    Damage: NONE!!!

I was sitting on the edge of my bed, getting ready to climb in, checking a few notifications on my phone, holding it in my lap. I'm not sure how it happened exactly, but it slipped or flipped out of my hand and tumbled onto the hardwood flooring in our bedroom. I wasn't worried at all, since I didn't hear anything more than a dampened thud (from the soft case), no cracking or snapping sounds, and I had dropped my previous phones from slightly higher heights with no damage. I turned to my wife and told her, "Welp, I just performed my first drop test on my new phone." At that point, an inkling of concern crept into my mind as I reached down to retrieve the OnePlus One... But I am happy to report that there was no damage done to the phone. Whether the Tudia case did it's job, or the phone wouldn't have been damaged from the fall without it, we may never know. But I'm still very glad that I had the case and screen protector on it.

2. kp1234
    Community Veteran Aug 21, 2014

kp1234 , Aug 21, 2014 :
    Drop Height: 2.5 feet (76 cm) (about the same)
    Impact Surface: concrete ground
    Impact Angle: Corner, then bounced onto another corner, then another one
    Protective Case: none
    Screen Protector: Nillkin 9H tempered glass protector
    Damage: Slightly damaged (dented) 3 corners

binky, mattc, Nilesh Sajnani and 4 others like this.
  3. harshadkmishra
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 22, 2014

harshadkmishra , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Bumped. Someone sticky this thread. Also it would help if everyone posting results would add photos.

DoomCaek likes this.
  4. PLPeeters
    KitKat Aug 22, 2014

PLPeeters , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I don't think this is worthy of stickying. @drmartin, @Dexter Morgan, what's your opinion?

5. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Aug 22, 2014

PLPeeters likes this.
  6. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Dunno if this needs to be stickied, I'll leave that up to others... but yes, photos would be nice, at least if your OPO incurred any damage. Not much point in a picture if there's no damage to show, unless you want to show the surface that it fell onto, or the height it fell from, or something.

7. Stone_88
    Gingerbread Aug 22, 2014

Stone_88 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Well hello to all, here is my "drop"-Test:

Drop Height: 80 cm (~2.6 feet)
    Impact Surface: Hardwood flooring
    Impact Angle: I think(!) it landed on the top left corner. and then landed screen-down.
    Protective Case: None (ordered but not jet arrived)
    Screen Protector: None (ordered but not jet arrived)
    Damage: NONE!!! I still can't beleve my luck!! :D

I was sitting on my bed, my OPO was charging (with that damn short original cable) i reached for it and unplugged the cable. Since the cable was a little jammed, i used a little force and then my OPO slipped from my hands. So it did not just fell down straight but had a little push.
    My heart stopped for some seconds and i was like >> damn, this is it! i brocke it! <<.
    After some veeeeeeery long seconds (while i reached for my OPO to see the damage) i couldn't beleve it, no damage at all!

As a consequence I ordered a longer charging cable and a second 2.1A wall charger for my home and I will keep the original charger for work. I also ordered a Flipcase and screen Protector.

Nilesh Sajnani and ultimusrex like this.
  8. Jackwan
    Froyo Aug 22, 2014

9. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2014

ChrisTerp , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for starting this thread. Good to know there are survival rates both with and without case.

I too am rocking the Tudia case (clear) - not a fan of cases but ease of mind is better than having to deal with replacement/repair issues down the road if experience a "drop" with the device.

Enjoy your weekend.

ultimusrex likes this.
  10. gmanphx
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2014

gmanphx , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Drop Height: 2 foot
    Impact Surface: concrete curb
    Impact Angle: Top left corner on plastic bezel
    Screen Protector: was picking up nillkin tempered glass protector at mailbox when phone slide out of car as I was getting out and it even hit the back of my leg.
    Damage: Crack across entire bottom by chin of phone making buttons inoperable.
    Customer Support: Horrible in resolving it in a timely manner so I can pay for new screen.

[​IMG]

11. hashtagabdul

hashtagabdul , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I once dropped my phone from my hand to my lap and that stopped my heart a little bit. No damage tho.

12. iTrollz
    KitKat Aug 22, 2014

iTrollz , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Great way to summarize the conditions of the drop. Thanks for posting. Saved by your case & protector!

ultimusrex likes this.
  13. Supermonni
    Eclair Aug 23, 2014

Supermonni , Aug 23, 2014 :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drop Height: 40-50cm (1.5 feet)
    Impact Surface: floor tiles marmor
    Impact Angle: landed on its face
    Protective Case: None (ordered but not yet arrived)
    Screen Protector: None (ordered but not yet arrived)
    Damage: Cracked across entire bottom of the phone making lower half of the screen inoperable.
    Customer Support: Sent a ticket to support yesterday. Lets see how long it takes to get a reply and how long the process takes to get a working phone back. Heard that it takes a month (in europe where Im at.) and costs about 200$ which is about 150€. We'll see...

Sat down in mc donalds to this low design chair and the phone dropped from my lap where I left it for a second.

I suggest to keep the phone in a good flipcover case with some sort of lock mechanism and of course a screenprotector too!

Had to get back to my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with working cracked screen for the time being...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani and ultimusrex like this.
  14. Vilanch
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2014

Vilanch , Aug 23, 2014 :
    I've dropped mine 3-4 times now. I have Diztronic case and Oyrlz screen protector. No damage. Average height of drop: 2 feet on tile floor.

15. itsnet
    Eclair Aug 23, 2014

itsnet , Aug 23, 2014 :
    Picture 80.jpg Drop Height: 3 feet (91cm)
    Impact Surface: pavment
    Impact Angle: bottom left corner, then face/screen
    Screen Protector: one
    Damage: Cracked across entire bottom of the phone. Unusable, can't unlock phone.

Went to put it in pocket and slipped out of my hand. BAM!..T_T

Nilesh Sajnani and Vilanch like this.
  16. Matthern
    Froyo Aug 27, 2014

Matthern , Aug 27, 2014 :
    Thats abit discouraging. I would love an otterbox like case to be able to protect this phone. I already have a broken screen on my s3 and dont need another expensive accident on my hands.

17. allebeily
    Eclair Aug 27, 2014

allebeily , Aug 27, 2014 :
    No drops for 1 month, then 2 in the same day... Quite unlucky.

First one:
    Drop height: 60 cm (1.5-2 ft)
    Impact surface: marble
    Impact angle: bottom, then cover-up
    Protective case: rigid plastic cover
    Screen protector: Orzly tempered glass
    Damage: no apparent damage

Second one:
    Drop height: 70 cm (2 ft)
    Impact surface: wooden floor/parquet
    Impact angle: on my feet, then cover-up on the floor.
    Protective case: rigid plastic cover
    Screen protector: Orzly tempered glass
    Damage: no apparent damage

Treo likes this.
  18. allebeily
    Eclair Aug 27, 2014

19. marteebee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2014

marteebee , Aug 27, 2014 :
    So any drops more than 2 foot on a hard surface and your phone Is basically fooked.

20. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2014

ultimusrex , Aug 27, 2014 :
    Unprotected, it looks like around 2 to 2.5 feet and it MAY survive with minimal bezel dents. Have not seen (m)any reports of protected Ones falling from more than that and whether they get damaged or not... A couple theories: 1) People with cases are by nature more protective of their phone, hence the case, and so they just drop it less; 2) Case-protected phones aren't incurring any damage, even from greater heights, so those people aren't bothering to post. Causing an uneven sample group on the forums (and this thread).