35.8%
  10. Others (please specify)

65 vote(s)
    24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2014

wilbarger , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Actually, I do like the Samsung phones. I also like the OPO for what it is. Until I get one, I will not know for sure. By the way, I also have an Apple and HTC phone. Fan boy - ok, that doesn't hurt too much.

2. Louluvre
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2014

Louluvre , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Bloody hell people, in my Latin American country the S5 is at 600$ or 200$ if you buy it with a "smart phone plan". Either way the S5 is way too ugly, doesn't improve much over the S4 in specs or apereance.

Parsa A likes this.
  3. starfury
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2014

starfury , Jun 7, 2014 :
    I'm not gonna try and sway you either way ... I'm just gonna ask the following:

Is waterproof/dustproof and an SD card expansion slot worth paying twice the price ?

If either of those features is justification for the price tag for you, then you have your answer. If not, you still have your answer.

Louluvre and Parsa A like this.
  4. Louluvre
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2014

5. BigE1995
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2014

6. c_b1
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2014

7. Parsa A
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

Parsa A , Jun 7, 2014 :
    To be honest, I appreciate the fact that you're not trying to sway me either way. I can use an unbiased opinion once in a while.
    The reasons as to why I'm considering it as number one is the battery. Holy it has a great battery life. And with my carrier I managed to strike a deal to get a spare battery too. For me, SD Card is worth alot. I have a buttload of TV Shows on 3ish 64GB SD Cards that I watch when I travel alot. Being confident you can carry a spare battery and have unprecedented battery life is worth alot to me.

8. Zoro
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

9. Dexter Morgan
    Community Veteran Jun 7, 2014

10. cbondcarolina
    Froyo Jun 7, 2014

cbondcarolina , Jun 7, 2014 :
    For me, my problem with Samsung has always been TouchWiz. I had both the galaxy s3 and the galaxy s4, and one of the first things I did when I got both of them was download nova launcher to try to eliminate some of the TouchWiz elements. I also rooted both of them and installed cyanogenmod so that I could have increased customization. To me, that's a bummer as I'd like to have a favorable user experience right out of the box.

That's not to say that everything about Samsung phones are bad (there are some very nice features that I quite like), but too much TouchWiz turns me off.

11. ejoelh
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

ejoelh , Jun 7, 2014 :
    I think Samsung's hand is getting forced by the release of quad core phones. What's interesting is that as of right now there's not much use for it. It's a spec war.

12. Manoj III Kumar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2014

13. YinSun
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

YinSun , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Because you are on this forum already? Why waste all of your effort so far? For me it's the price well.

14. Andril
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

15. cbondcarolina
    Froyo Jun 7, 2014

cbondcarolina , Jun 7, 2014 :
    If you're sold on TouchWiz, there's always the build quality. I have nothing against plastic builds (and I get annoyed by people who constantly rail against them) but that doesn't mean they can't be made with a certain level of style and aesthetic detail (see the recently announced lg g3). Honestly, with the amount of money Samsung has I'm shocked that they haven't put more effort into making their phones more pleasing to the eye (with or without plastic) . And don't even get me started on that ridiculous home button that looks more and more archaic with each subsequent generation of their devices, yet they can't seem to let it go.

Look, on the grand list of things that matter to me when choosing a smartphone, the build quality isn't the most important element. But it's becoming harder to ignore when almost every other flagship device being released has something going for it in that department, yet Samsung still lags behind. To take it a step further, it baffles me that someone can walk in a store, see the galaxy s5 and the HTC One M8 side-by-side, and decide that they would rather go with Sammy. Looks aren't everything, but can they really mean that little in the current smartphone landscape?

Parsa A likes this.
  16. p51d007
    KitKat Jun 7, 2014

p51d007 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    That's pretty much it. My last device, the one I'm using now, is an "international" Galaxy Note1 (Amazon, German DBT version) that is almost 2 years old. When I purchased it, the USA version of the Note wasn't suppose to be released until February 2012. I bought mine in November 2011.
    Granted, mine did not contain an LTE radio, but, they've only had LTE in my neck of the woods since May 2013! I get H+ which for what I use, is fast enough. It was completely unlocked, no restrictions.
    I've kept to the stock rom (4.1.2) and a custom kernel because of the "brick bug" possibility.
    The thing about most Samsung's now is the locked down nature.
    How did you find one, that works in the USA, that does not have knox, or locked down?

Parsa A likes this.
  17. oneplusmike
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

oneplusmike , Jun 7, 2014 :
    i think you have your answer. i was excited about the s5 when it came out and went to a local t-mobile store when it came out. i don't mind touchwiz and the design too much but it was too much lag for my taste (even the slightest lag bugs me).

Parsa A likes this.
  18. Robinator
    Eclair Jun 7, 2014

19. Thebigbea
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

Thebigbea , Jun 7, 2014 :
    too much.. at least $650 factory unlocked.. i would buy if it's under $500

Parsa A likes this.
  20. Parsa A
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

Parsa A , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Actually, not in the USA. I'm in Canada. The story with Canada's carriers is that there were once three big carriers, who secretly made a contract together to keep prices high. (There was no other carriers to compete with) And their prices always go up. a plan with 1000 min of talk, unlimited texting and 6GB of LTE costs $165 in my area. But then came along two smaller carriers who offer unlimited everything in parts of Canada and all of the USA for $45 per month. (It's gonna expand to all of Canada in the next decade-ish, USA network piggybacks off of T-Mobile I think) The big 3 are trying to bully the two out of the game. It's f****** ridiculous. a study funded by the big 3 said that Canadians like to pay high prices for Cell plans, and would even pay higher if they had the chance to. So yea, I'm buying my phone off of the smaller carriers.

Neofire and p51d007 like this.