[RECAP] November / December Open Ears Forums – Privacy, Community, OS Design

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 18, 2020

dsmonteiro , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Hi everyone,

2020 was filled with Open Ears Forums and the last month was no exception. On three different occasions, we had the chance to sit down with you, our Community, and listened to what you had to say on core subjects – Privacy, Community, and OS Design. While some of what was discussed is still under wraps and we still can’t share much about it, we’d like to take the time to recap each of these events. Check below what was discussed and how some of the feedback given is already helping us shape our future actions.

Privacy Matters | Nov 24, 2020

We know privacy is something some of you are quite passionate about. That’s why we’d like to start by thanking all the participants for their valuable feedback throughout this event:

@repsakasper, @aditya5597, @Luigi Martire, @jlqrpety, @Xerxes1, @yash3103_, @Nipu_1998, @DarshanMeniya, @Shutterbugladka, @sumitMZ007, @ShyleshSabapathy, @Oreo., @iharshjjain, @JustJacco, @Snoresville, @Some_Random_Username, @Abuyasmin_adam, red cabel, V1567617259845, @fishua, @huxley1t, @Aarav Sahni, @DenyDarko, @keithnyc, @hojsimpson952, @Helder_DAlmeida, @SRD., @saiSumanth1+, @bhaumikbheda, @AnonymousWP and @himanshusaxena0001.

LY1E1283 (2).jpg LY1E1337 (3).jpg

We kickstarted the event by explaining how GDPR and other privacy laws have been implemented across OnePlus’ products and platforms, and how we take an opt-in approach to everything privacy related. Then, we went through a series of thought experiments, discussing how each person sees feels about apps and the permissions that are requested by them.

The final section of the event was about something still under development, so I’m afraid I won’t be able to tell you more about it. Still, throughout the event and thanks to discussions had, we ended up with some key actions for the future:
    1. Implementing Two-factor authentication for OnePlus Cloud – Since the OEF, we already started testing this in different areas. Once all the third-party testing is deemed stable, we will launch it in India.
    2. Hidden space improvement – Some of the participants raised concerns on how the apps moved to hidden space could still be found in other places. We will improve the feature’s logic to provide more privacy.
    3. Permission history – We are going to perform surveys to improve the user experience in the future.

Community | Nov 30, 2020

For the first time ever, we held an OEF solely focused on Community. As @Crystal Z. mentioned in our Community Awards, we are planning considerable improvements to the Community platform next year. While I can’t disclose much of what was discussed throughout the event, I’m happy to say that the feedback on this matter was very positive. We can’t wait to tell you more, but, for now, let’s focus on the other topic of the OEF – Content and Gamification.

We had a mix of newcomers and longtime users sharing their thoughts:
    @a_agarwal_, @Aman_kalyan, @asishgrwl, @Darshan D., @Dhruv Kashyap, @J4t1np4r3kh, @luxuskamel, @Plenkske, @RoyDecoy, @Sandeepmann, @Vivek_21, @yashonagori, @_sreehari_, @AbhilashSaikia, @Antonio_Luis, @anunayC, @arjun_Choudhry, @Batman360, @deepankur19, @EngrSagorCivil, @hojsimpson952, @kala_MUNDA, @Lavin A., @Pravin_1997, @Starcommander, @suhantm, @yashwant24 and @YRJ.

LY1E1430.jpg LY1E1386.jpg

With them, we discussed the content that first drove them to the forums, what they want to see more of, and in what format. We also picked their brains on how to improve our current XP system so that it can better reward those that have a positive participation. Below, you can find the key findings:
    • Behind the Scenes and more personal content from Staff was the content most participants want to see more in the future from us.
    • Shorter content with more visuals – This will help us guide not only for our official content but also Writers’ Club’s, and even our future platform development.
    • Missions and daily check-in – Something several participants highlighted, access to missions and daily check-in needs improvement, as well as the number of available missions and medals.

OS Design | Dec 10, 2020

Finally, we hosted an OS-design-centered OEF last week. This event focused on gathering insights on two specific features – AOD and Gallery. We don’t want to spoil the surprise, so we won’t be able to share any specifics, but thanks to the discussions we had with the participants, we reached a few conclusions on what to improve moving forward:
    1. Privacy is something we should pay close attention to. We will update the hidden collection feature based on this.
    2. The Gallery app’s stability is another aspect we should pursue, and we’ll devote more resources to this
    3. Scrolling smoothness was also highlighted by the participants. This is something we will improve in upcoming updates.
    Regarding the long term strategy, we also received valuable feedback that will be our foundation as we develop new features. We can’t wait to share more. Thank you to those that joined this event and shared their voice:
    @alanmsalfy, @VeDxnTa, @S_K_J, @Krishna_Kris, Dil3mm4, @ShreyasPatil_, @Bhargavesque, @K@!Fi, @abidbunny, @HVS_RAW_00747, @DeeJaaWoo, @Darren_07, @Its.Leandroo, @MarkP12, @Yash Pratap Singh., @Carlosmgv02, @Abhishek654, @tilak_gr.stark, @BhavyaMehta0786, @Sylvester.David, @Rohitsen123, @_.Abhishek._, @Aman_kalyan, @F_Brandon_Tobias_jGSG and @jai_chhabra

LY1E1487.jpg LY1E1461.jpg

And, as the year slowly comes to an end, so does our 2020 OEF journey. We hope to see many new faces in our 2021 OEF events and, hopefully, slowly resume hosting offline forums.

2. Plenkske
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Dec 18, 2020

Plenkske , Dec 18, 2020 :
    It was great being part of the Community OEF. Looking forward to all new things :)

3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Dec 18, 2020

4. tilak_gr.stark
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 18, 2020

5. SultanaDaaku
    Honeycomb Dec 18, 2020

6. J4t1np4r3kh
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 18, 2020

J4t1np4r3kh , Dec 18, 2020 :
    As always, a massive pleasure getting to participate in the OEFs!
    Looking forward to the next bunch in 2021!

7. Nipu_1998

8. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Dec 18, 2020

9. Abhishek654

11. kushal__12
    Honeycomb Dec 18, 2020

12. S_V_OP8T
    Froyo Dec 18, 2020

13. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018; Community Scholar 2020 Dec 18, 2020

the_o2 , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Thanks for the Recap,
    Hope the key findings will implemented soon :)

14. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Dec 18, 2020

YRJ , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Thanks for the recap @dsmonteiro

It was a great experience and you nailed it as a host! Looking forward to what comes next ;)

15. asishgrwl

asishgrwl , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Thanks for the recap @dsmonteiro. :)
    You were a great host and it was a pleasure getting to participate in the Community OEF. Looking forward to 2021 with some offline OEFs too (maybe).:)

16. Antonio_Luis

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus 8T , Dec 18, 2020 :
    This is literally what separates OnePlus from every other company. Their connection to their community, and the idea that we have a voice, that our opinions can be heard, and that we are building something together. Being chosen for an OEF is such an exciting moment.
    Being chosen for the Community OEF was even better. I couldn't sleep the night before lol The only reason I got to sleep was because I realized the OEF was early in the morning for me (eastern standard time). I didn't want to enter an OEF braindead lol.
    My experience with this OEF was an amazing one. It also broke me out of my shell and I've become a bit more active in the community since. Thank you to everyone that is in charge of making these events possible. It really means the world to me and so many others in the community ☺️

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020

17. DarshanMeniya

DarshanMeniya , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Thank you @dsmonteiro for refreshing great memories!
    Thank you for listening us! It was such never forgetable experience....
    The discussion we had was such a fruitful, I am really looking forward to contribute more towards OnePlus improvement programs!
    Thank you!

18. Dhruv Kashyap

19. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 18, 2020

Batman360 , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Amazing recap @dsmonteiro
    It's always a pleasure interacting with you guys.
    Happy to be a part of Community OEF with these amazing bunch of people 🔥❤️