Received my oneplus Nord and oneplus Buds - Any questions?

1. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

Moin2200 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    So i used to do these kinds of threads when i receive the newest oneplus device as in Denmark we are lucky enough to get the devices a bit quicker than other places. And people are always curious about stuff which maybe certain reviewers don't really talk about or go into.

Due to the popularity with Oneplus Nord i'm bringing back this QnA where you can ask anything about the buds or oneplus Nord.

I will try to answer every question for a bit and then come back later to answer any remaining questions.
    Be ware that questions regarding battery life is still too early to ask about, but everything else are welcomed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K1ngP1n
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2020

K1ngP1n , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Does it breaks :p

Kidding,

What 5G speed you getting on the ultra low 5G available Nord

3. mike_r1971
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

mike_r1971 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    How sturdy does it feel, are you more worried after Jerry rig showed it’s weakness spots?

Any notice of screen tinting issues from certain angles (as suggested by a few reviewers)?

What’s your early initial impressions of the device? I’ve preordered mine from amazon and maybe like a lot of the community, have watched countless mixed YT reviews since yesterday’s embargo was lifted...so far, are you happy you have got the device, would you still recommend it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020

Sounak Basu likes this.
  4. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

Sadly there are no 5g in Denmark yet so i can't check that. But the 4G connection gets me about 12 upload and 35 download on 4G.
    Which is pretty decent.

K1ngP1n and Dresa91 like this.
  5. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

Not at all, i have owned some of those devices which Jerry put on his "shelf of shame" phones which just could not handle the pressure from his test, and i had some of those devices for a while which never showed any signs of bad structure or bending and such. The test he does is very uncommon to happen to most folk so it never worried me.

I have not really noticed anything with the screen but i will report back this evening when it's more dark to get a better view of the tint. (if there are any)

My initial thoughts when i picked up the device:

Very compact compared to the regular 8 and 7T and also alot lighter which is a nice reunion since i haven't held a comfortable sized phone for a while.

The sides does not feel like plastic, oneplus has focused on making quality even with the materials they have worked with.

Performance is great. Can't tell the difference between this and the oneplus 8 when scrolling through menus and opening apps.

Speaker is pretty dull compared to flagships (that was expected) But nevertheless it works fine for its purpose and gets plenty loud.

Screen is nice, happy they went with Amoled as its pretty good and decent outdoor visibility when you think about the price.

Overall its gonna satisfy most people.

For me as someone who uses a $1000 dollar smartphone as a daily driver i can see the compromises very clearly compared to the Nord. But the same time i am very surprised just how much phone i can get for price. I don't regret buying it as it will serve as a backup device in case something happens to my current phone or if i need to send it in for repairs.
    And for others i think this should be an excellent choice.

6. mike_r1971
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

mike_r1971 , via OnePlus 3 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Thank you for your initial feedback 🙂, I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to ask and what you have to say, especially as I'm not going to recieve mine until August 5th.

Thanks again.

7. prasanthsd
    Donut Jul 28, 2020

prasanthsd , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Waiting for a few people to review this. Since nord does have a higher lowest brightness like the oneplus 8 after OTA. update

8. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

That might have been the reason i did not notice this. I have the newest update so the brightness could had gone up without me realizing.

9. Voidq
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

Voidq , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Here's a question for you.
    Do you think you are more likely to drop your phone OR bend it under high pressure / set it on fire?

I love Zack's videos and they do give you some baseline of which phone is more durable than others... but it's like all those car channels on youtube using "drag test" as a measurement for every single car, not realizing that each car is aimed at a different customer and that this "test" is actually relevant for about 0,0001% of them. Actually they probably do realize it but this is what people wanna see and same goes for the smartphone test videos.

If you're not planning on intentionally bending or burning your phone, you're gonna be just fine.

10. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

It should be fine for day to day and with the included cover.
    Unless you burn your device then you lose your warranty.

11. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 28, 2020 :
    What about buds micro and noise cancellation during calls? If you own AirPods, how much worse is OnePlus in comparison?

12. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

If i have to be brutally honest i really do not like the buds. As someone who has sensitive and asymmetrical size ears the buds feels like showing hard plastic inside my ears which feels uncomfortable for me. And since the buds does not have any tips its pretty much either gonna fit you or not.

I don't have airpods but i do have galaxy buds plus and when comparing noise cancellation the buds plus wins thanks to its in ear seal design. But the sound are pretty nice on both. but it's gonna come down to personal preference it seems.

AlexanderMK and GuitarHero0179 like this.
  13. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 28, 2020

dsmonteiro , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Would love to hear about your hands-on experience and initial thoughts, particularly about the Buds (since I'm receiving the Nord tomorrow anyway).

GuitarHero0179 likes this.
  14. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2020

GuitarHero0179 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    This is what I'm curious about. The design looks to me if it won't close off correctly letting environment sounds through. I'm now using the wireless Z and those are blocking sound pretty ok. What do you think of overall sound quality?

15. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

My initial thoughts when i picked up the device:

Very compact compared to the regular 8 and 7T and also alot lighter which is a nice reunion since i haven't held a comfortable sized phone for a while.

The sides does not feel like plastic, oneplus has focused on making quality even with the materials they have worked with.

Performance is great. Can't tell the difference between this and the oneplus 8 when scrolling through menus and opening apps.

Speaker is pretty dull compared to flagships (that was expected) But nevertheless it works fine for its purpose and gets plenty loud.

Screen is nice, happy they went with Amoled as its pretty good and decent outdoor visibility when you think about the price.

Overall its gonna satisfy most people.

AlexanderMK likes this.
  16. palc

palc , via OnePlus 3 Graphite , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Are you buying it as a daily driver or is it a backup device for you? Which device are you upgrading from?

17. palc

palc , via OnePlus 3 Graphite , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Could you elaborate a bit on the speakers? If you've used other midrange priced devices (eg. Samsung, or let's say older Oneplus phones like the 3 or 5 if you've used either), how does it fair with them?

18. Olicyus
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

Olicyus , Jul 28, 2020 :
    What version / color did you get ?
    I would like to know how a 8 Gb version performs. It seems that all the reviewers got the 12 Gb version.

19. iharshjjain

iharshjjain , Jul 28, 2020 :
    hi,
    thanks for the thread..
    i would like to get more on buds.. can we do custom gestures??
    Since its mentioned that only double tap is working for any 1 of the 4 functions.
    I am looking for single tap (for Call pickup or cancel & play or pause), double tap (Hold & next song), triple tap (previous song), etc.

Also secondly if i put either bud say left or right in my ear and other in the case will it work? i mean the song or call.

waiting for the reply.

20. Jearius
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

Jearius , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Buds is a joke, got mine today cant use them since they wont fit my ear properly... So I guess its going up in Facebook market instead

Next buds oneplus please make them in silicone or foam