Received OP cardboard and First Impressions!

1. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Jul 9, 2015

2. Starryknight24
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

3. benoita74
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

4. riicky12
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

riicky12 , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Wait 24 hours, it takes time to activate.

5. S1mwiz
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2015

S1mwiz , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Go to store account, you will find the tracking number under "shipment". For fun, OP decided not to include this in the email about shipment :rolleyes:

benoita74 likes this.
  6. benoita74
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

benoita74 , Jul 9, 2015 :
    That's where I went...I guess I do not havea shipping number yet, as the cardboard was just shipped yesterday, but thanks ;-)

7. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2015

tEf0o , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Would show invite code :p

Bozso46 likes this.
  8. Bozso46
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2015

tEf0o likes this.
  9. TheOriginalMèêk
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2015

TheOriginalMèêk , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Me either, still processing. Well I guess my theory of invites shipped with cardboard orders has been debunked. Lol

10. flash22333
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2015

11. S1mwiz
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2015

S1mwiz , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Ok, so I spent my evening fiddling with OP cardboard and here is an account of first impressions. Please excuse the brevity and grammar because jotting it at work in a gap of time.

1) If you have never experienced VR before, this would sort of blow your mind. However because of small holes (or mismatch of distance between lenses and my eyes) I always could feel that I am peeking into something, so that held me back from getting a kick. I wish cardboard had bigger lenses. Yet what I experienced is amazing. Few apps gave me very immersive experience and I was literally trying to avoid things hitting me. It is wonderful.

2) It is slightly blurry. You still feel the 3D and all, but I think distance between lenses and OP needs to be slightly higher. When I put OPO on my couch and looked at it through cardboard, slowly moving towards the OPO, I realised that picture is clearest when OPO is around 7-9 mm away from the face it rests against when assembled normally. I will add some spacing between OPO and cardboard rest face to help with this.

3) It did not come with viewer profile but OP have their own profile and they have provided the QR code for that. However I realised Google's profile generator is very easy to work with. https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/viewerprofilegenerator/. You can actually change the settings on the webpage on your PC and you see the lens calibration screen respond on OP in your cardboard. You need to experiment with the distortion coefficients and other parameters such that the lines on the grid on your OPO are always straight and perpendicular in all your field of vision. I made my own profile which I prefer over OP's.

4) Since you have to hold the cardboard of course you feel the strain in few minutes. But that is a part of the deal because there is no headstrap provided, which Google does not recommend anyway.

5) There is a sort of button at the top for indirect touch but I think most apps for VR just require you to stare at options for selecting and do not require a click.

6) I have case for my OP and numerous times when I assembled my OPO and closed the flat on top with velcro, it used to press the power button adn turn screen off. So I dont close the flap now.

7) Few appps I tried and loved..
    • Cosmic roller coaster
    • InMind VR
    • Space Explorer VR
    • Village
    • VR Roller Coaster
    • And of course Youtube's 360 channel

Will add more to it when I realise I have missed anything.

EDIT 1: One thing I noticed the most is that you can see the pixels clearly. I think maybe it would look a lot better on a screen that has higher DPI.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

12. leemartin
    Lollipop Jul 10, 2015

13. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 10, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Jul 10, 2015 :
    We love pics. But thanks for sharing info. :)

SoniaB likes this.
  14. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 10, 2015

dsmonteiro likes this.
  15. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 10, 2015

dsmonteiro , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Merged with previous thread and moved to the correct category.

16. S1mwiz
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2015

S1mwiz , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Pics attached!

17. sponge_dork
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2015

18. S1mwiz
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2015

S1mwiz , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Did you mean cutouts and all? Yes. the design looks and feels strong enough for what you pay for it. Doesn't have gimmick of NFC but you won't miss it.

19. BehnanAdam
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2015

BehnanAdam , Jul 10, 2015 :
    I got mine this morning...and it doesn't view correctly. I've scan OnePlus QR code, and still the same
    Any suggestions please..!!

20. marcvento12
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2015

marcvento12 , Jul 10, 2015 :
    I can't find the Space Explorer. And good review!