Received Refurbished Device From OnePlus' Official Website

1. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 8, 2021

Praty_28 , Jul 8, 2021 :
    Timeline Of Updates

08/07/21 - Received the device, created a thread here and provided contact details to the review team.

10/07/21
    - Received no response from Review Team, contacted support via whatsapp, CS agent Geeta G. said I would be contacted within 48-72 hours.

12/7/21

1:45 PM - Received message from review team asking me to visit the service center even after providing sufficient video and pictorial proof of the defects.

4:30 PM - As a response to my query about "what is the use of the replacement button then?", the review team says the button doesn't exist on the Indian website, which is not true and the review screenshot posted below shows that it has at least been 3 months since replacement option is available.

6:00 PM - Received a call which CS agent Geeta G. had assured I will be getting within 72 hours. I was assured that I would be getting yet another call within 3-5 days where they will inform me about the further steps for replacement.

10:35 PM - They decided to contradict everything they said on the call and blame it on me for not reporting the incident at the time of delivery.

13/7/21

Dsmonteiro's escalation went through and I am to receive a call once again.

Provided details to Bug Hunter as well, and has forwarded it further to the team who will apparently be contacting me.

17/07/21

The support agreed to a replacement. But their terms are I ship my device to the service center, and they process my shipment once I hare the tracking number.

19/07/21

I agreed to their terms and asked them to initiate the replacement which they did and the order showed up on my account. The status was "on hold for review".

21/07/21

I sent them the tracking number and invoice of the courier receipt so that they can refund the shipping fees. They then cancelled the order which was on hold and created another order which had a status of "order is under process"

This was the last email in this case. They did not reply to any emails I sent after this.

23/07/21

I contact CS again and quote the Case ID in which they initiated the replacement. Weirdly he cannot retrieve any cases from the provided ID. So the ongoing case is abruptly closed/deleted and the CS can't even track the history of the case.

A new case is created and I am asked to wait for 48 hours and the team would contact me via email.

25/07/21

48 hours pass but I get no email/call. I contact support again. They tell me to wait for another 48 hours. So a total of 96 hour wait time for a new case just because they lost the previous case.

27/07/21

96 hours pass but still there's no email/call. I contact support yet again. Another 48 hours added to the list. So now it sums up to 144 hours of wait time just to get a response.

Decided to draft a final email (with a twist) to the previous case, where I did not receive any response for a week and this time it worked.

Within 1.5 hours there's a reply to the email and a call to ensure that my device will be shipped by the next day.

28/07/21

Once again a fake promise. The device was neither shipped nor processed and the day is about to end. I decided to draft another email. I'm sure they were petrified after reading this and there was some progress in the order status early morning next day.

29/07/21

The stagnant order status of "Order is Processing" is finally changed to "Shipment is Processing" after 9 full days.

Same day, in the evening it is shipped and I get the tracking number.

31/07/21

The new device is delivered, and once again the story repeats. The box is dusty, the device is dusty, there's permanent scratches and I am extremely disappointed in what OnePlus has turned into.

The device is still better than the previous one which had a scratch on the display and back panel so at least my luck didn't betray me for a second time and the device useable.

The 21 day battle was not in vain and it is all thanks to this wonderful community :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I placed my order for a new OnePlus 8T (12/256) from OnePlus' official website on Jul 6, 2021, and received it today, Jul 8, 2021. I start recording and proceed to open the package (I record the unboxing of every single product I buy online just to be safe, and this time it paid off).

Unboxing video is linked below. I have edited it to hide sensitive information, speed up certain parts and clearly point out the issues. I can forward the unedited video in case it is required.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1to5xlDtP-_Fw2RIgejYJOW6X8eoVBbEM/view?usp=sharing

The inner cardboard box was fine, but the actual 8T box is dusty, the plastic is slightly worn out, but the seal is intact. So I opened the seal and everything looked good, or so I thought. (I hadn't carefully inspected the device yet)

I noticed that the back glass panel had abrasions in 2 places.

inked abrasions.jpg

The IMEI sticker had also been tampered with.

IMG_20210708_111030_1.jpg

Even the display had a scratch under the pre-applied screen protector. I do not feel any scratch on the screen protector.

display scratch.jpg

The scratch was probably caused by the previous user, OnePlus decided to hide it by applying a new screen protector and then sold it to me.

This is wrong on so many levels
    1. I receive a refurbished device even after paying the full price.
    2. The device isn't even refurbished. All the defects are present and OnePlus still decides to send it to me.
    3. Quality control is absent. Instead of fixing the defects which were obviously known to them, they wiped the device with a cloth, applied a new screen protector, and sold it as a new device.

When I checked the reviews section, another user was in a similar situation. To my horror, his replacement was rejected even though he claimed to have proof.

Screenshot_20210708-150817[1].jpg.png

This is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to be done here. Initiating a replacement is pointless as this should not be happening in the first place. I won't settle for a replacement. I demand a full refund. I was lucky enough to find these defects on day one but what if I hadn't? What if the internal components were changed? OnePlus would definitely blame it on the user and the cycle would go on.

@dsmonteiro I'll need some official response regarding this malpractice.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 8, 2021

dsmonteiro , Jul 8, 2021 :
    Hi @Praty_28,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your device. Have you contacted customer support already? Do you have a CS ticket number you can share with me?

3. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 8, 2021

Praty_28 , Jul 8, 2021 :
    I have not yet contacted CS, as they will surely ask me to apply for a replacement. But this is a bigger issue. If it is absolutely necessary for me to contact CS before this can be escalated, I will do that.

4. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 8, 2021

dsmonteiro , Jul 8, 2021 :
    As I believe you are aware, the forum is not an official support channel so the most adequate step would be to contact customer support through the appropriate channels. In any case, I already flagged this with the team.

5. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 8, 2021

Praty_28 , Jul 8, 2021 :
    Received a PM regarding this from the review team, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Starcommander likes this.
  7. onshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2021

onshreyas , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Jul 9, 2021 :
    Look you need to firstly calm down , it may happen that the real new device must have been exchanged with the refurbished one .
    More over that , contact to your retailer by which place it has been despatched . Also , try to take help from OnePlus customer service , may be they can give a little push ..to your situation which you are facing .

WakeAwake likes this.
  8. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 10, 2021

Praty_28 , Jul 10, 2021 :
    I am calm but you are not understanding the magnitude of the situation here.

1. It is literally not possible for the real new device to be replaced with a refurbished one without them knowing about it. The 8T box was full of dust, scraped plastic which clearly indicates it has been to places before it was given to me.

2. If you read correctly there is no retailer involved here, I have directed purchased the device from OnePlus' official website.

3. If you check the screenshot I have attached in the end this is not a one time thing, it has happened to another user and his/her replacement was shamelessly rejected.

9. onshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 10, 2021

onshreyas , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Okay , I was just saying in general to be calm and all.
    Look I think you should return this 'used device' with stating the proper reason .
    They would surely return or replace with a completely new one . I understand , it must be annoying situation when you pay such a price and such result you get .
    You should probably talk to Costumer Care I guess ...If they ask for proof then you can surely show all of the pictures you have clicked .

But I see that you have received a PM , may be it could be resolved .

10. G_plusone
    Nougat Jul 10, 2021

G_plusone , Jul 10, 2021 :
    He's calm alright.
    And if you had gone through the thread you would have known that everything you have suggested was done by the OP, he's done his research that it is not a one-time thing and he just doesn't want this receiving refurbished device not happening to anyone.

11. onshreyas

onshreyas , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Listen I am not in a mood to see your such attitude ...

I don't care what OnePlus has said to him ..I was just suggesting

At the same time if you are having a good eye sight you can see that I am just saying "calm" in general ....

You know , something like sympathy ? Yeah , I think you are literate enough to understand ..

So don't even try ypu such comments ..on me you may be a expert in all these fields ...but I am carrying my own dignity and u are no one to show me such a rubbish attitude ...

12. G_plusone
    Nougat Jul 10, 2021

G_plusone , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Easy there calm person.
    Have a Nice weekend

13. onshreyas

G_plusone likes this.
  14. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 10, 2021

Contacting support is easier said than done, if you have ever had to deal with OnePlus' support you'll know how incompetent they are.

I just contacted them regarding this, and I did so on their whatsapp platform so I could share images but the person was insistent that what I have received is a brand new device from the warehouse and I need to go to the service center get the device physically inspected only then they can do anything. He did not even ask me to share the video, images or try to help. I'll have to contact them again and hope to be lucky that someone even tries to listen to my concerns.

The review team had asked for my details which I had immediately provided but have not yet been contacted by them.

OnePlus is not serious about this and that is the main problem here, do you understand what would have happened if I had not recorded the unboxing video? They'd have happily brushed me off. This could happen to anyone and the reason I have posted this here is so that everyone can see it and be careful even when they purchase the device even from the official store.

15. onshreyas

16. puccellino
    Lollipop Jul 10, 2021

puccellino , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Hi Praty,

Sorry to hear about this, you've been a forum member for ages, and I totally trust your opinion and judgement on this.

I hope you get this sorted out, ASAP, but not only that, I hope you post your experience on this thread. It would be interesting to see how this was resolved. I suspect that being a long time forum member might help ........but those who are new to OnePlus, have no chance of having this fixed. I know, warehouse people often send out goods that have been returned .....or been tampered with. But this seems to have been done at a different level. I wonder if it was rejected at factory level, and then they had a shortage and repackaged some that didn't look so bad. We will never know the truth....this is only speculation.

Good luck my friend.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021

17. Praty_28
    KitKat Jul 10, 2021

Thank you for your support Puccellino, I am going to keep this thread updated. Luckily, I got connected to a cooperative CS agent on my second attempt. She listened to what I had to say, requested the pictures and unboxing video and told me that I would be getting a call within 48-72 hours. A wait time of 48 hours just to get a call is a bit too much, but at least there's a time frame this time.

Also you are right, we will never get to know about the real reason behind this but I'll try my best to find out when they call. I really don't trust them anymore and just want to return this device for good, but looking at how things are going I'd be lucky to even get a replacement.

18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 10, 2021

Caomhin, WakeAwake, Tobikage and 9 others like this.
  19. puccellino
    Lollipop Jul 11, 2021

puccellino , Jul 11, 2021 :
    For what's it's worth, I don't believe people in HQ and top level are doing this. And customer support do not know how the organisation is run. It's those in the middle, who produce the phone's ( yours in India). But until there is an investigation from above to check what they do, nothing will change. And for that they need your phone, to assess at HQ, not back in India. I think that is only possible if a senior staff member at HQ speaks with you. I don't know who that might be. Perhaps it's a question for you to ask David.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021

20. Xcommunicad0
    KitKat Jul 11, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Jul 11, 2021 :
    True again, no one wants a bad name until they really want to wind up the business and for sure that's not the case here.

It's a problem somewhere in the supply chain which needs to be fixed and so it's important that such issues are highlighted to the designated people to take corrective action... thankfully, atleast we have multiple options now to reach out with growing digital presence with broader reach and high visibility.

And lastly it's tough to completely eliminate such issues but surely can be minimised with good governance.