Redefining ‘fast and smooth’ with Android TV

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Aug 29, 2019

Pete , Aug 29, 2019 :
    AndroidTV_deepdive-Forum.png

Hi everyone,

Ever since I announced that our TV is coming soon, everyone has been asking me what operating system OnePlus TV will run. After a long negotiation process and several rounds of comparisons, we decided to use 'Android TV'.

Throughout this process, I kept asking myself one fundamental question, "how can we offer our users the best TV user experience?" Our goal has always been to provide the best experience for our users, founded on the principles of "burdenless" and "fast and smooth".

Earlier this year, we released the OnePlus 7 Pro with an advanced 90 Hz display, designed to deliver an unrivalled sense of smoothness. This focus on our 'fast and smooth' philosophy has always been greatly appreciated by our users, which is why we were determined to make sure using the OnePlus TV would be no different.

Having evaluated all the options available to us, we concluded that the Android TV platform was the only platform that would enable us to provide a Fast & Smooth experience. We made this decision for the following reasons:
    • Based on Android. Android TV is the most powerful TV operating system, and offers a ton of great features like the Play Store and Google Assistant.
    • OnePlus TV is our first step to gradually establish a OnePlus IoT ecosystem. In order to do so, we had to choose an operating system that can interact and seamlessly connect with your Android phone. Android TV is the natural choice.
    • Strong strategic partnership with Google. We are able to work alongside Google to optimize the Android TV user experience and offer our users Android TV updates for at least 3 years.
    As we approach the OnePlus TV's launch, I am starting to get more and more excited about our very first TV. I'm incredibly graceful for what our team, with the help of our community, managed to achieve, and I can't wait to see your reaction when the OnePlus TV finds its way into your living room.

Never Settle
    Pete

2. d_alroy
    Eclair Aug 29, 2019

d_alroy , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Thanks Pete for update.

I am extremely excited about OnePlus TV. I am looking forward for it since the announcement.

I am waiting to replace my TV with OnePlus.

Hoping for great.

3. Chirag.joshi
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2019

Chirag.joshi , Aug 29, 2019 :
    I am so psyched to buy the OnePlus TV as and when it launches in India. Hope it is a massive success just like the OnePlus 7 Pro

4. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Aug 29, 2019

5. Aditya Dange
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2019

Aditya Dange , Aug 29, 2019 :
    I'm sure that it is going to have amazing usability even better than WebOS & great app support & overall UI of Android with Oxygen Skin on the top which will definitely make 1+TV fast & smooth.
    1+TV is going to set new standards in overall TV UI experience along with it's class apart Image Quality & best in class Audio standards.

suhayel likes this.
  6. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 29, 2019

youbi , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Glad to see that the fast and smooth will be there. The truth is that once you go down that path you can't live without it anymore. :)

knownz, jlasensiofi, suhayel and 3 others like this.
  7. manthan
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2019

manthan , Aug 29, 2019 :
    My Journey started with OnePlus was with Imported US OnePlus 1.
    Used until last year. And then Bought 2nd hand OnePlus 2. Still working ASOP ROM.
    TV is great choice for Giving best to consumers with Never Settle philosophy.
    Hope it will be the best with great Value.

8. puma95
    Jelly Bean Moderator Aug 29, 2019

puma95 , Aug 29, 2019 :
    I'm having such high hopes in that product, haven't felt that way for a while!!

9. D1566648395101
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

D1566648395101 , Aug 29, 2019 :

10. OALEXANDER
    Indian POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 29, 2019

OALEXANDER , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Fast and Butter Smooth ! Looking forward to see more of the Hype and wishing great success for this new venture

CollyDoo74 likes this.
  11. Shellyman_OnePlus
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

12. the_o2
    Marshmallow Aug 29, 2019

the_o2 , Aug 29, 2019 :
    I am expecting this fast and smooth TV will come at Killer price :)

Deivabharathi S and TalGloz like this.
  13. F_Castro_EICP
    Donut Aug 29, 2019

14. Helder_DAlmeida
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2019

skboora likes this.
  15. The1Lion
    Lollipop Aug 29, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 29, 2019 :
    NA will be "watching" to see what India get's - then hopefully it'll be shipped overseas and arrive here; perhaps in time for the holiday season? :D

BTW @Pete , if you want to send me a gift I can PM my address :p:D

buntycubal likes this.
  16. Jarrod Solomon
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

Jarrod Solomon , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Everything seems to be coming together on y'all's end fast and smoothly as well. Can't wait for the release in the US. Thinking it's about time for a TV upgrade for the bedroom.

Naughty_Potato likes this.
  17. Henrik
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

Henrik , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Have they fixed the compability with Google Assistant/Home for Android TV? Or do we still need to use a separate ChromeCast to be able to cast our shows via Google Assistant to a TV?

18. Repeatster
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

19. TibiTibi
    Nougat Aug 29, 2019

Starcommander and buntycubal like this.
  20. meeksmen
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019

meeksmen , Aug 29, 2019 :
    I am looking forward to seeing it and may be in the market to replace my gigantic 73" DLP tv too!
    I highly suggest the remote have a visible cursor similar to the Nintendo Wii and the LG Magic Remotes.
    That aspect is really very convenient for users.

suhayel likes this.