Gingerbread Sep 9, 2014

3. l92king
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

4. Isab3lla
    Gingerbread Sep 9, 2014

5. gigahash
    Donut Sep 9, 2014

gigahash , Sep 9, 2014 :
    Since OnePlus said that the support for the One model from the software side extends for 2 years, there is no doubt that CyanogenMod S based on Android L sources is going to make it to this phone.

As far as I know, L in Android stands for "Larry" which can be the very Larry that co-founded Google (Larry Page).

6. dbahn25
    Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

dbahn25 , Sep 9, 2014 :
    I don't quite think you can eat Larry Page, can you? Android code names are candys (Jelly Bean, KitKat, Cupkake) so it will not be larry

7. jbahety
    Froyo Sep 9, 2014

8. gaurav_200
    Eclair Sep 9, 2014

9. gigahash
    Donut Sep 9, 2014

gigahash , Sep 9, 2014 :
    Yeah, you're right about that. They used well-known desserts as code names for different versions of Android OS so far. However, it does not mean that they will continue to do so. Apple, for example, used to give Mac OSX versions wild cats code names (Tiger, Lion, Leopard) but their recent version is called Mavericks and the soon to be released version is rumored to have a Yosemite code name. So...
    ... we can talk with certainty only about things that has already happened.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

10. boo01
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

11. boo01
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

12. boo01
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

13. dbahn25
    Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

dbahn25 , Sep 9, 2014 :
    Apple != android

14. dunkelwichtel
    Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

15. gigahash
    Donut Sep 9, 2014

gigahash , Sep 9, 2014 :
    You are right again. My bad, very poor example in relation to the forum it's being posted to.

However, there are a lot of theories concerning the meaning of that 'L' letter. In short, you should not be so sure that the next Android will be something 'eatable'.

Engadget, for example, says that 'L' stands for 'Life' due to the fact that the next version of Android will focus a lot more on its ecosystem and literally will follow you everywhere in your 'Life' if you let it.

Here's the original quote:
    With the introduction of the Android L platform (as the next version of that operating system's tentatively being called), Google wants to be a part of everything you do -- with technology, at least. Whether it's swiping through Google Now on your smartphone, dismissing notifications on your smartwatch, using voice search to find a movie on Android TV or searching for a cafe on your in-car display, Android will follow you everywhere. And while features like universal sync across devices and voice commands will likely make your life easier, Google's getting something pretty significant in return: access to nonstop streams of your personal data and search history. In short, it's pretty clear that the "L" stands for "Life."

16. amartunc
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

17. papirus991
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

18. khizr
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2014

19. Amrrock12
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

20. Andouille
    Donut Sep 10, 2014

Andouille , Sep 10, 2014 :
    I sure hope to get Android L as soon as possible... for whatever reason, my current version is rebooting by itself from time to time!