Removing the Hide Keyboard Button

1. jamal01
    Froyo Aug 29, 2020

jamal01 , Aug 29, 2020 :
    So on every other phone I have used, there was an option to remove the hide keyboard button that appears.

I have found several threads on the subject, but none with a reasonable solution.

Is there still no way to remove the hide keyboard button? It appears regardless of what keyboard I use.

On Samsung you could go to
    Display > Navigation bar > (disable) Show button to hide keyboard.

One Plus has no such setting. I do not want to go into ABP or whatever and adjust the overlay as this may have a negative affect on other apps.

I have read close to 7 threads on the subject but no solution that works for me.

Will probably return this if one plus does not address this soon

2. Shrey...
    Eclair Aug 29, 2020

3. Manveet
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2020

4. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Aug 29, 2020

Sheppards likes this.
  5. keithnyc
    Moderator Moderator Aug 30, 2020

keithnyc , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Hiya Jamal,
    Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue with this. The OS team really does listen to feedback, but only if they know about it, as @Manveet noted... If you use the community app or go to support on the browser , there is an option to provide feedback and bug issues. Please fill that out and possibly this might be addressed in one of the next OS releases.

6. ankitmaity
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2020

7. jamal01
    Froyo Aug 30, 2020

jamal01 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    there is no way to remove it/disable it

why would I blame google when clearly its a one plus issue. My samsung had the option to disable the hide keyboard button. Other phones clearly are able to disable this useless button.

Why cant One Plus do the same....?

Their support told me to reset my phone LOL...useless.

8. ankitmaity
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2020

ankitmaity , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    I'm asking what's the issue with the button?

9. jamal01
    Froyo Aug 30, 2020

jamal01 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    It takes up the bottom of the screen for no reason, moving the keyboard up.
    Affects the display and typing speed for no reason as its easier for me to swipe from the side ("back") than it is to reach for that button

It was a useless addition by google but other phones have an option to remove it. Why one plus has not added that option shows the incompetency of the company

kirrix likes this.
  10. O1598021892686
    Cupcake Aug 31, 2020

O1598021892686 , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 31, 2020 :
    hi all.

I'm having an issue with my One Plus 8 with the Gboard. When I type quickly any word which start by "a", it automatically places the "a" letter after the second one that I type. Anyone with this issue?

11. jamal01
    Froyo Sep 1, 2020

jamal01 , Sep 1, 2020 :
    maybe create your own thread and dont hijack mine? lol

12. jamal01
    Froyo Sep 11, 2020

jamal01 , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Still no solution =(. PLEASE Upvote the feature request/feedback thread so One Plus can prioritize this issue

13. BjeeUntamed
    Eclair Sep 12, 2020

BjeeUntamed , Sep 12, 2020 :
    The whole of bottom horizontal area of the screen doesn't work many times because of this button (including navigation gestures) , so it is really frustrating ! And also that one button occupies the whole is bottom horizontal space - wasted space

jamal01 likes this.
  14. BjeeUntamed
    Eclair Sep 12, 2020

BjeeUntamed , Sep 12, 2020 :
    Whole of bottom horizontal area is now a wasted space. It causes that entire area to lag, including navigation gestures. If you notice in the game screenshot - that button is appearing when there's no need for it - causing non-working of that area and complete lag / hang for a couple of seconds

Attached Files:

15. jamal01
    Froyo Oct 10, 2020

jamal01 , Oct 10, 2020 :
    So the annoying "hide keyboard" arrow that shows on the bottom of the keyboard is back with the Android 11 update.

Not only is it annoying and can't be removed from the settings, but now overscan does not work in ADB.

So I am stuck with the ugly useless hide keyboard button. My friend has a samsung which allows you to "remove hide keyboard button"

With the ADB overscan no longer working, it is essential that this button is removed. Please please please add an option to remove the hide keyboard button, or if anyone knows of a solution please let me know.

16. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Oct 10, 2020

Madnezz4Ever , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 10, 2020 :
    Not useless, the whole purpose of it is to hide the keyboard.
    Making another topic about this when you already made one before isn't gonna cause them to add it. This is only a user forum, so they will not see your topic.
    If they wanted it, they would of already added it.

17. jamal01
    Froyo Oct 10, 2020

jamal01 , Oct 10, 2020 :
    i can just press "back" and hide the keyboard. So the fact that I am already able to do it without the button makes it useless. Why sacrifice part of my screen for something I can already do.?

And my question is if there is another way since overscan no longer works in Android 11

18. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Oct 11, 2020

pablofg1978 , Oct 11, 2020 :
    Thread merged

19. mattclar
    Cupcake Nov 9, 2020

20. mattiaskarlberg
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2020