Rep OnePlus in the US as an official ambassador

1. Kyle K. Head of North America Staff Member Oct 1, 2018

Kyle K., Oct 1, 2018 :
    Hi everyone,

I’d like to thank you all for taking the time to apply to our OnePlus Brand Ambassador Program. Applications are now closed.

We had nearly 400 applications, and we see this program evolving and being led by community members as it grows and develops.

Our intention is to expand this program so don’t be discouraged if you aren't included in this initial first group of participants. Our plan is to develop the program together with the first group of ambassadors and have it be an ongoing program, which we will continue to grow.

Thank you for the support. Keep an eye out for exciting announcements ahead.

thanks
    Kyle

keithnyc, KeBlam, 2000Rick and 2 others like this.
  2. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Oct 7, 2018

3. NitzMistry Gingerbread Mar 19, 2019

NitzMistry, Mar 19, 2019 :
    Will this program continue this year as well?

4. retal_to Gingerbread Apr 18, 2019

retal_to, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Really good question..

I'm in midwest Chicago and didn't managed to find some oneplus users/ambassadors.

Will be nice to meet some or organize a meet-up here :)

5. jayanyway US Brand Ambassador Apr 29, 2019

retal_to likes this.
  6. retal_to Gingerbread May 4, 2019

retal_to, May 4, 2019 :
    Seems to be Chicago is already cover, sweet.
    I'm brand new here in IL, coming from France where the Community is huge and Fun, was part of it from the very beginning and the OPO.
    Hope will be the same here. BTW I think I will go the NY event too for OP7 ^^

Last edited: May 4, 2019

meatandy likes this.
  7. SJBoss Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

SJBoss, Jun 4, 2019 :
    All these LAB Reviewers, Brand ambassadors and what not needs to understand is, they are no celebrities and they have a responsibility towards this community.

And OnePlus needs to stop asking them for favours... at least not for free.
    [edit by moderator SoniaB]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

Hydra Bob, Tobikage and B_Wrath like this.
  8. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jun 4, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jun 4, 2019 :
    [edit by Moderator SoniaB]
    Brand ambassadors also have different responsibilities than lab reviewers. It's their job to be 'hype men' for OnePlus to a certain extent. I mean they shouldn't be sweeping problems under the rug by any means, but I also don't necessarily think it's their responsibilty to put every little problem and nitpick in the opening post in bold face either. If anything I would put most of the responsibility for this on OnePlus for the methodology they laid out for ambassadors to follow. It sounds like they wanted a glowing representation from them in reviews in the first place and that's exactly what they are getting.

TonyTechBytes, B_Wrath and SJBoss like this.
  9. Tobikage Nougat Jun 4, 2019

Tobikage, Jun 4, 2019 :
    So you're saying.......just having / keeping a bit of dignity / self respect / conscience means nothing to them ?

B_Wrath and SJBoss like this.
  10. SJBoss Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

SJBoss, Jun 4, 2019 :
    How about not even mentioning the downsides?

Now that you’ve explained their “job” i really wanna know if they get paid for it, if they don’t, i feel really bad for ‘em.
    Indeed, OnePlus is to blame for this, but these people are also responsible. As toby just said

Hydra Bob and Tobikage like this.
  11. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jun 4, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I mean yeah I'd like to think if they asked the same thing of me I'd have some serious questions for them, but I already know I'm too jaded for that program anyway. I can barely pull off this whole 'starting point expert' thing without getting myself in sh#t.

But a young guy, tech enthusiast/aspiring youtuber gets contacted by some big company to help represent them I can see where he might get a little carried away and not think things through too carefully. I'm not saying that excuses misrepresenting the facts or anything, but I can still have a little sympathy for his situation at least.

TonyTechBytes, B_Wrath and Tobikage like this.
  12. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Jun 4, 2019

Ruby G., Jun 4, 2019 :
    Since I was so graciously welcomed with a personal tag, I want to say hi to our usual forum friends @Tobikage @Hydra Bob @SJBoss @B_Wrath who are visiting the USA subsection. Welcome, welcome. Please feel free to take a seat for my little essay ahead, as I know you have come a long way from Wormhole. I'm always happy to see your names pop up among the comments. I am taking the time to write this (and probably will pay for this later with overtime XD) because you guys are some of the most faithful followers of OnePlus forums content. I'm grateful that you continue to support us by logging in everyday and viewing our content.

As point of transparency, I have been helping with the execution of the brand ambassador program since March, and was excited to bring them into the forums community to share product know-how/ honest opinions. It's nice to hear from more than just me, and I am currently a one-(wo)man team on US community team. I personally read what Tony and Jason submitted for this thread, and will continue to work with the rest of the brand ambassadors on this coming series. There will be about 3 or 4 more threads in this series from other BAs, so now is a good time to hear out any feedback. Does the tastes of <10 active users reflect the spectrum of tastes of all 2 million forum users? Probably not, but I still value the viewpoints you are coming from. We will discuss and adjust the content series title based on what you guys have shared.

A few points that I think are worth addressing:
    1. It is personally not my style to extrapolate and make character accusations based on what people have written online. If there's anger towards company decisions or what staff members have done, I get that. But I'm not a fan of when I see picking fights, making it personal about other users' character....KeithNYC, Tony, Jason are all community users valued just as much. They are here because they love the brand. That is usually why people gather under a company forum, because they love learning about a product and sharing in the excitement of a new device.
    2. Regarding the point that the piece is too positive/ "shill" etc. If you personally dislike reading about people's genuine joy and excitement for a tech product, you're welcome to author and support threads that reflect what is the "truth" from your standpoint. One person's worldview is rarely the absolute truth, the be all end all. I would love for the community to be a space where there's room for unrestrained positivity and cynicism, Care Bears and Blade Runner. If a device goes into the hands of 100 people, each person's takeaway will be slightly different. If people are genuinely excited and passionate, I'm not going to censor that, just as I welcome the criticism.
    3. We don't pay the brand ambassadors, moderators, or even you for coming onto our forum. People choose their leisure activities based on what they like to do. I think the lack of pay actually makes the BA program more relaxed. They can come when they like, write and do as they are passionate about. :)

[edit by moderator SoniaB]
    Post moved from a BA review thread to here as it mainly addresses some concerns about the BA Program.

13. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jun 4, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Hey Ruby. Thanks for taking the time to respond here. I know you have a busy schedule and we appreciate all that you do for us and the community.

I can't speak for anyone else here but personally I understand that the brand ambassador program is going to be mostly positive and I'm okay with that. We have the LAB program to get down into the nitty gritty details if that's what people are looking for, this serves a different purpose.

The only qualm I have with the approach taken this time around is I think the ambassadors should interview a wider sample size of people rather than just friends and family, or at least cleary disclose it if they do. For one thing the opinions given would be more unbiased and for another I feel like that's more in the spirit of the program anyway. They should be trying to be emissaries for the brand and try to introduce it and it's benefits to people who might not have heard about it otherwise.

And I think some people were a little surprised that a feature that was so controversial before launch was being so universally praised here. Myself after using the phone for a while most of my concerns have been sated but I can see why some people might not be so easily convinced. Just a shame that they couldn't address those concerns without getting personal is all.

But I don't think any of it was intentionally dishonest, just maybe some poor/unclear wording and I do believe both you and Tony are good people and wouldn't want to deceive anyone. And to be fair I know this program is still in it's early stages and everybody's still trying to figure things out somewhat. But that's part of what we like about this community and keeps us logging in everyday, is that you're willing to listen and consider feedback(well the constructive kind anyway) so I'm confident that you'll do what you think is best to improve the program as it continues to evolve and expand.

14. SJBoss Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

SJBoss, Jun 4, 2019 :
    [​IMG]
    Not everyone can say that but thank you :p

Attached Files:

Android450, B_Wrath, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.
  15. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Could a writer, a dreamer, a philospher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals say it though?

Also double attachment fail.

G_plusone, SJBoss and YRJ like this.
  16. SJBoss Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

SJBoss, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I don’t know about that but they indeed did say something to the policeman.
    Nope, i added only one gif and it uploaded just fine I don’t know wtf is this at the end of the post really.

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  17. Q1543630802969 Cupcake Jun 26, 2019