Repair Centre

1. kimba6587
    Donut May 18, 2020

kimba6587 , May 18, 2020 :
    Hi
    I have to write this here because I am not allowed to post in another place as I have only just set up my account.

I sent my phone off to the repair center to have a software fault repaired under the warranty, the phone was completely stuck on crash dump mode. The repair center are refusing to repair the phone, unless I pay them over 200 pound to have a repair to the back of the phone fixed.

The damage to the back of the phone has caused me no problems and has been there since a week after getting the phone. They have told me unless I agree to have the repair done they will not repair the software fault and return the phone completely unusable. I do not have a spare 200 pound knocking about! The service center have been completely unhelpful and are demanding payment for something that does not need fixing!.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? Could someone point me in the right direction of who to complain to?

2. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 18, 2020

SoniaB , May 18, 2020 :
    Hey there

What device?

Can you please confirm your case ID and I will escalate the case?

3. kimba6587
    Donut May 18, 2020

4. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 18, 2020

SoniaB , May 18, 2020 :
    I will escalate

Tobikage likes this.
  5. kimba6587
    Donut May 18, 2020

SoniaB likes this.
  6. kimba6587
    Donut May 19, 2020

7. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 19, 2020

SoniaB , May 19, 2020 :
    Hey there
    I chase up cases every 24hrs and have done so already regarding your case.

8. kimba6587
    Donut May 19, 2020

9. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 20, 2020

SoniaB , May 20, 2020 :
    @kimba6587 CS Escalation team have replied back to me. They have said that repair centre have advised that they cannot do a partial repair and leave the back panel broken as it is.

CS have confirmed that they will reach out to you to discuss the cost (see if it can be reduced) and possible resolution.

the_o2 and Batman360 like this.
  10. kimba6587
    Donut May 20, 2020

kimba6587 , via OnePlus 5T , May 20, 2020 :
    there is absolutely no need for the back of the phone to be repaired it doesn't cause any problems to the phone. The problem that requires fixing is a software fault causes by a OnePlus update. It's extortion trying to make me pay 200 pound for a fault that does not need fixing and refusing to fix the actual fault which is covered by the warranty!

11. kimba6587
    Donut May 21, 2020

kimba6587 , via OnePlus 5T , May 21, 2020 :
    Could you please tell me the complaints procedure and who to contact and not just the basic one plus support contact as my complaint is not being taken seriously.

12. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 21, 2020

SoniaB , May 21, 2020 :
    Did CS contact you? My understanding was that they were going to do so to discuss further how to resolve the issue. Has that not happened?

You can register a complaint here: https://oneplus.custhelp.com/app/ask?store=uk&sourcepage=https://www.oneplus.com/uk/support/contact

There is the issue that any physical damage = warranty voided. I appreciate that you have had what seems to be a software issue, but if factory reset or rolling back to a previous build does not solve the issue, then repair centre have to consider the possibility of a hardware issue. To determine that, they have to open up your device. Only way to do that is to open the back panel, which is already broken.

13. kimba6587
    Donut May 21, 2020

The fault is a software fault caused from a OnePlus update! The phone is covered under warranty.

I have seen this is not the first time the repair centre have tried to overcharge people for faults that either do not need fixing or all of a sudden new faults are found that require fixing for an extortionate amount of money.

It's disgusting refusing point blank to repair the required fault unless I some how find over 200 pound. I do not have that amount of money!

14. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 21, 2020 :
    I understand, but like I said, if the fault is caused by a software update then a factory reset (wipe data) or a roll back to the previous build should technically resolve the issue.

If it does not, then they have to consider a possible hardware issue. The only way to do that is to open up your device. But then comes into play that your back panel was already broken. Warranty is void if there is physical damage, and your device there clearly is.

As per my previous post, my understanding is that CS were going to contact you to discuss the cost and see if they can come to a mutual resolution. So I ask again, have they done so?

15. kimba6587
    Donut May 21, 2020

I had a measure a measure early today, they offered to waiver the labour fee bringing the total to 215.66 instead of 238.42. Still an extortionate amount of money.

In not one of the emails I've received from them have they stated that, that was the case. They have not stated they have made any attempt to fix the software fault and that they now have to remove the back of the phone. All they have stated is that the phone will not pass quality control unless they repair the back of it so I must pay or they will not repair the software.

16. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 21, 2020 :
    In terms of escalation, there is not much more that I can do beyond asking for further consideration on the cost, but it's entirely at OnePlus discretion. The back is broken and that is a void of warranty. So they are within their rights to claim paid repair

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/privacy-and-legal

Edit: it is very difficult to be able to successfully claim that the physical damage is not causing an internal hardware fault making the software not work as it should.

17. kimba6587
    Donut May 21, 2020

I do not want the back repairing. I want proof they have attempted a software reset and proof that apparently there is no other way of fixing the phone. At the moment it just looks like exploitation.

18. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 21, 2020 :
    To open the device, they have to remove the back panel. The back panel is already broken, it will break further during the process, hence the need to replace it.

What was the quotation that they gave you? Normally, in the quotation they will list all the parts that they will need to replace. The cost that they are quoting you, seems to be more than just the back panel that they would intend to replace.

The option that you do have, should you decide to take it, is have the device returned to you as is and you can try factory reset or rollback to previous build. Although, please do understand that if neither of those fix the issue, then it's more likely to be a hardware issue. In which case, it would be a paid repair since warranty is void due to the broken back panel.

Edit: looking at repair pricing, the back panel replacement is just over £21. So the main cost most likely is motherboard replacement.
    https://www.oneplus.com/uk/support/repair-pricing/details?code=11

Last edited: May 21, 2020

19. kimba6587
    Donut May 21, 2020

I am going to take it further, as you are the first person to mention any of this. In the communication I have had they have not mentioned making any attempts to update the software.

Below is the quotation

Service cost 22.76

Back cover Mirror Gray (EU) OP7 Pro 31.29

Screen Mirror Gray OP7 Pro 184.38

Total 238.42

20. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 21, 2020 :
    Was your screen broken too?