Replaced battery , terrible results via OnePlus 6

1. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

Pearland , via OnePlus 6 , May 15, 2021 :
    Hello , i've been using oneplus 6 for 3 years consistently as a daily driver, oneplus diagnostics app showed me about 75% battery health. I've ordered ORIGINAL ,not used one as a replacement. I've double checked the new one , it is 100% original. After replacing it with the old one, it charged from 1 to 100% in about 40 mins , which was instantly strange . Then it drops % very fast , basically at the rate of charging it took. Diagnostics app bugged out after replacement, shows 0% health . Is it possible that new battery health degraded over years even tho it was not being used? Manufacture date is may 2018.

I've tried clearing cache in recovery , any advice is highly appreciated. 1621106841288.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2021

2. rhyd1am
    KitKat May 15, 2021

rhyd1am , May 15, 2021 :
    Where did you purchase the new battery from?

Batteries do degrade over time (even when not installed in a device), but I personally doubt that a truly original unused battery would have degraded that quickly.

3. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

I've got it from a local store , they ordered it from Sweden for me, i've waited like 3 weeks for it , double and triple checked the new battery for any sign of previous usage or any sign that would alert me that it is not the BLP657 original battery. Im convinced that battery itself is not an aftermarket or a bad copy.

Does it have anything to do with system itself , maybe i am getting false readings?

4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 15, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 15, 2021 :
    To copy a battery isn't too difficult tbh and it happens a lot. Most of us won't be able to see the difference I think of a original and a copy. Mostly the all copies have the same date codes but one wouldn't know ordering just one. You could check with the internet what date codes are on those batteries that shops sell, if it's may 2018 there is a big chance it's a copy

Also tbh I don't have much trust in those ghird party apps that test for battery health tbh.

Edit; and a three year old battery never charged??? Not sure if that's a good idea?

5. Tobikage
    Nougat May 15, 2021

Tobikage , May 15, 2021 :
    OnePlus does not sell any parts to individuals or 3rd parties over the counter.

Shailender Sharma and Bobbie63 like this.
  6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 15, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 15, 2021 :
    I'm sure there is a grey circuit but it's difficult to establish if it's real of fake.

Tobikage likes this.
  7. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

Exact date is 29.4.2018 , which is not exactly May , im sorry for a missinformation.

It had a QR code on itself , i gave my best at checking these tiny details that can reveal it's fake.

I'll let it drop to 1% again and let it be there , if it shuts down, then things are clear. Im basically getting 1 min per 1% SOT , awful.

Bobbie63 and rhyd1am like this.
  8. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

Okay ,It sits at 1% running PUBG for about 15 mins now , no slow downs or glitches . That clearly indicated that phone is reading the % wrong. Seems like the system did not calibrate it correctly.

It showed me 1% the first time i powered on , looks like it is reading it from about half of the capacity. I know things can get a bit buggy when you replace the battery , like it gets stuck at 1% or wont charge etc, but never seen a case like this.

Confusing , isnt it? 😂

9. BeingIncog
    Nougat May 15, 2021

BeingIncog , May 15, 2021 :
    it is recommended to factory reset after installing the new battery...
    tested...

Pearland likes this.
  10. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

Oh, i was just scared of hearing this. Prob gonna be my last step.

11. rhyd1am
    KitKat May 15, 2021

rhyd1am , May 15, 2021 :
    Leave it to charge for a couple of hours after it reaches 100%. Then let it drain completely, before charging again to 100%.
    Thinking further, I'm not sure if it's still the case nowadays, but in the past OnePlus did not sell parts for their devices, either to users or 3rd party repair shops. If that's still the case these days, then it's very likely that the battery you have is either fake or at the very least used.
    Hope it sorts itself out for you once calibrated.

Pearland likes this.
  12. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator May 15, 2021

pablofg1978 , May 15, 2021 :
    Hello there,
    OnePlus does not sell spare parts. You can't buy original batteries outside of the official support centers.

Shailender Sharma likes this.
  13. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

I guess grey circuits do exist for everything

14. Pearland
    Eclair May 15, 2021

1621117037953.jpg
    It just refuses to die 😂
    Guess its the calibration issue then,ill just do what you said , ill post back with the result , thank you everyone 🤙

Bobbie63 and rhyd1am like this.
  15. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean May 16, 2021

LegolasX , May 16, 2021 :
    you will indeed have to calibrate the new battery before it uses full potential.

maybe the battery you bought have been stored for long time thus will require few charge cycles to be fully operational.

Pearland likes this.
  16. Pearland
    Eclair May 17, 2021

Pearland , May 17, 2021 :
    I just did try the full charge and discharge cycle , did not help , then went to full factory reset ( through recovery , full clean zip package installation ) , it still bugs out at 1%. Now it seems like a hardware related issue , even though i got arround 7 hours SOT from it yesterday , when it bugged out at 1% for hours.
    Im definitely confused.

17. Tobikage
    Nougat May 17, 2021

Tobikage , May 17, 2021 :
    Nope....We know nothing.

18. Pearland
    Eclair May 17, 2021

Attached Files:

19. Tobikage
    Nougat May 18, 2021

Tobikage , May 18, 2021 :
    The print quality , the alignment , line thickness of various elements like that of the text and logos is usually a good indicator to spot a fake.

The replacement is just a month newer than your original so... it's not exactly new either.

Assuming it's an original, it may have been pulled from another phone that was gutted for parts.

rhyd1am likes this.