Reporting Netiquette

1. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Hello folks,

First and foremost, the Moderator team would like to thank all the vigilant users of the community who are reporting threads and posts that violate the forum's terms and rules.

However, of late, we have observed a general increase in the number of reports and that a good number of these reports are highly redundant and lack details.

At times the same user is reporting the same post/thread multiple times. *Moderators will work through the reports. If you reported a thread/post and see no action having been taken within 7 days, then report again.
    Also, unless there is inappropriate or illegal content that needs to be removed, please don't report threads which have already been [Closed] by the Moderation team as "redundant".

For any other situations, please refer to the guide on reporting in following post.

You guys will be surprised to learn that there are more redundant reports than redundant threads/posts because a single thread/post is reported multiple times by different users.

Various threads are being reported with very succinct reasons like "redundant", "pointless" and/or "duplicate". We would appreciate it if more details are provided to make it easier for Moderators to act considering the massive amount of reports that are received.

Backseat Moderating:

Quite often it has been noticed that users post as moderators, without having necessary permissions to take action on a post or thread. How does this create a problem?

Backseat Moderator: "Read the sticky posts you cupcake"

Newbie: "I was just asking a question ***** off"

A flame war then ensures. This creates a hostile environment with new users and encourages others to behave in same way. Ultimately leading to negative look of the forum.

How do you deal with this? Either take advantage of report button or simply ignore the posts. Do not escalate by replying back in kind.

Reports which do not have appropriate justification/ reasoning will be deleted as “Invalid report”

While we are trying to fix the redundancy in the forum through technological tools, it takes time and has its challenges. Before it is put into practice, we rely on you folks to help us maintain the true spirit of the forum. We look forward to your support by considering the above points while reporting.

Once again, we appreciate everyone who spends time and energy in making this forum a better place.

Cheers!!
    Moderator team.

2. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Examples of threads/posts that should be reported
    1. Threads/ posts that includes inappropriate language, lack of respect, name calling, offensive, racism, religious etc.
    2. Threads/ posts that covers Plagiarism ("wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work)
    3. Posting malware and other contents that are harmful.
    4. Threads/ posts intended to promote YouTube channels (unless beneficial to the community for example video tutorials) or using forum as a space for ads or making money of any kind.
      *Repetitive spamming of a video link or continuous bumping of a thread, however beneficial, should be reported as this is considered spamming.
    5. Photo threads posted elsewhere than in the photo section.
    6. Anything relating to piracy
    7. Ads/Spammers
    How to Report
    • Redundant/Pointless [provide reason for this]
    • Duplicate [provide link to existing thread]
    • Abusive/rude
    • Piracy link
    • Ads/Spammer
    In the case of duplicate threads, then please do post in the thread the existing thread link to direct the thread starter to the correct thread and then report. Moderators may then proceed with a merge or closure.

Photography posts/threads
    Photo posts in wrong sections should ideally just be reported as “Move to Photography”

Broken attachment pics should be reported as “photo fail.”

Please do not post in the thread itself. Just report to moderation team.

Due to the recent changes in the photo sections, moderators are moving single pics and threads to the appropriate thread. If you post in these threads, even to provide guidance/direction to the thread starter then this actually creates more work as these posts need to be deleted as well as the original post moved. Just reporting the thread allows moderation team to action these much faster.

dalmia09, Wahoux, Andy L. and 34 others like this.
  3. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

Wahoux, Andy L., Mjo and 20 others like this.
  4. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    No need for apologies.
    Your support was still valuable;)
    You couldn't know the workload behind the scene:p

5. izzykasha KitKat Mar 6, 2018

izzykasha, Mar 6, 2018 :
    This will be good if everyone reads this, thanks for taking the time to clarify the report option.

I generally post the link to the existing thread for duplicate threads in the post I report, is this sufficient or does it need to go in the report transcript too?

idkwhoiam322, Salt505, pa5t1s and 5 others like this.
  6. izzykasha KitKat Mar 6, 2018

izzykasha, Mar 6, 2018 :

idkwhoiam322

I'll apologize first for majority of them.
    Will read this now, thanks.​

you broke the netiquette(internet) lol

Salt505 likes this.
  7. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 6, 2018 :
    I have a few questions/thoughts:
    1. In the case of threads like photography, you mentioned that a thread which has photos(>=1) are merged, and users should simply report them instead of posting in the thread as well, agreed. What about in the case of threads where the images are NOT correctly uploaded? Wouldn't it be better for both parties to include a solution for future reference and simply close the thread?

2. On the browser, when YOUR post is reported, you can see that(I've noticed it a few times, not sure if that is really broken, or I have surprisingly low number of posts of mine reported), but if that is showed for all reported threads/posts, it would help with the redundant reports, in my opinion.

3. About YouTube videos. You say that users shouldn't report guides. Agreed. But if the guide is posted by a user who is also the maker of the video, doesn't that still violate 1.4, assuming the ONLY content of the post was the video, with no text and explanation, unless of course the OP(or any other user in trouble/having issues) asks for video guidance direclty?

4. Never seen you in the forums before(well except the moderator team thread by David...) so just wanted to say hi...

Totally not cool how much I can relate to this thread having quite a bit against what I do most of the time here lol...

8. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

I'm not sure I understand?
    Edit: Probably take this somewhere else...

Salt505 likes this.
  9. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    @script this is for you:p

I'm not sure to understand. Are you saying that you can see when your posts are reported?
    You shouldn't get any notification other than the one we send when closing reports created by you.

Hi, Recently real life is taking over me:sweatsmile: Before recently I was more active in the background than on the forum itself

10. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    LOL...Thanks!

Sun90, Salt505, pa5t1s and 4 others like this.
  11. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

Sun90, Salt505, pa5t1s and 6 others like this.
  12. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

I knew 1. would go to @script XD
    I'm not quite sure myself, but I've seen something on the lines of "this post is to be evaluated by a moderator and is invisible from other users"<-Assuming that statement is true, I can guarantee it doesn't work in the app lol.
    You skipped 3!

Ah, hope things calm down a bit, maybe we can talk about more than just a hi/mod stuff then :p

Sun90, GopalB. and gusuraman like this.
  13. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

I'm not apologizing to you after today's mistake! XD

GopalB. and keithnyc like this.
  14. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Just the link. The mods can then click right o that link to see if they concur. It saves TONS of time. Thanks mate

pa5t1s, pablofg1978, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  15. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    No apology needed ;):p:cool::). We're all good blokes!

Sun90, pa5t1s, GopalB. and 2 others like this.
  16. izzykasha KitKat Mar 6, 2018

izzykasha, Mar 6, 2018 :
    noted and makes sense,

Keep up the very good work all of you!

pablofg1978, SoniaB and keithnyc like this.
  17. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Forgot this one:p
    Context always need to be considered. In general a video guide posted by the author in a new thread without any comment is to be considered ads. If it is in reply to users request and is actually pertinent it's ok.
    If the guide is valuable and the user replies to comments on the thread is ok
    If it's ok for what said above but the user explicitly ask for likes or followers on their channels it has to be reported for ads.

Other cases are possible, but that should cover all in general

If you are unsure report it. You tube links are often a gray area and sometimes take long discussions among mods before taking the final decision

Sun90, pa5t1s, GopalB. and 4 others like this.
  18. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

That goes in my notes again, thanks @izzykasha

GopalB., keithnyc and izzykasha like this.
  19. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Ah, that is when we unapprove (hide) posts. You usually see it when we clean up threads or your post was breaking some rule (in such case you'd likely get a warning or pm from mod too)

Sun90, pa5t1s, GopalB. and 2 others like this.
  20. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

Oh whoops.... I never got one though.....(not yet at least), hope that doesn't change after the dark secrets I just spilled out lol
    But some of those posts of mine may have been left as is, at least as far as I've noticed. Probably never bothered to go back and check though.
    I don't think I have any more questions for now... but I'll spam this thread if I do :innocent: (The mods will know what I mean lol)

GopalB., noquarter, keithnyc and 2 others like this.