Reporting Netiquette

1. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 6, 2018 :
    I'm back...
    This is more of a mod specific question...
    What happens if I report you @gusuraman ? Assuming there is hierarchy, you're at the top, so does an Admin take care of that? Do you get to see that report and any moderator privileges to take action on that yourself?

Also, about reports in conversations, mods can't see the actual conversation, right? So, how do they take action? I know that the user reporting it could send screenshots, but that doesn't take much to fake. Are these taken care of by admins too if there is suspicion? I could give an example but I'd rather give that in PM.

This time I'm most probably out for the night...

2. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    I see the report and I have all the powers to deal with it. But I can't do it as per our internal SOP.
    Depending on the severity assistant heads deal with it or it goes straight to David.
    This is the same for all mods. No mods can action on reports directed to themselves, they're always handled by a more "senior" mod.

We can see the content of the reported post only. The whole conversation is inaccessible for us. We usually contact both users and ask for more details.
    Also admins can't see other's PMs

Please PM me if you think we took the wrong action on a conversation report

3. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

4. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Mar 6, 2018

AnonymousWP, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Great that there'll be taken action. What I'm also noticing is that when someone reported a thread, they still reply on it. I think that's just making the thread more dirty/useless. Just ignore the person who is posting in a wrong way, and report it.

Especially when a thread is being moved it's annoying. Example: you reply on a thread where someone is talking about 5.0.4 for example, like "this is the wrong thread. There's an official one for this one". The mod moves the question of TS to the official one, but your comment "this is the wrong thread. There's an official one for this one" is still there (because it has been moved as well). That makes the official thread even more dirty. :p

5. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Yup:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

GopalB., Punk_69 and AnonymousWP like this.
  6. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

superplus, Mar 6, 2018 :
    There's two options. It sounds like you're doing one of them:
    1. Post a link to the main thread in the duplicate thread
    newUser: "Hi, look at this, I just got an update!"
    you: "Please post about it in the main update thread: link.to.thread"

you then proceed with reporting your post, and mod can decide to close/merge the thread as needed
    2. Report the duplicate thread with a link to the main thread in the report description

If your post has been unapproved, this doesn't necessarily mean your post was violating the Terms & Rules. It could also be that you replied to an offending post and thus as part of the thread clean-up, your post was unapproved too. Though technically it's best not to reply to offending posts at all, rather just report them for the moderation team to deal with ;)

7. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

Indeed, I agree with the latter after recent experiences XDD
    But sometimes asking them to "behave" often makes them stop. But I will try my best to refrain from doing so in the future.
    Does this mean that the entire reported text(by the user reporting the content) is visible to moderators?

GopalB. and Punk_69 like this.
  8. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

superplus, Mar 6, 2018 :
    yes fortunately, anything you type in "report reason" is visible to mods. now don't go testing if there is a character limit :rolleyes: guess it stands to reason it might be the same as for "normal" posts maybe?

9. Rick Manders KitKat Community Expert Mar 6, 2018

Rick Manders, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Too late. :p

10. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

I'm guessing the limit is 420, the same as in profile post replies, why that number is 420... we all know why don't we... lol
    I'm done with experiments(read "experiments without putting some thought into them first") after my week as a 97 year old, you know that already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do normal posts even have character limits? If they do, it must be reaaally high I guess...

It's sad how much I can relate to this :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
    I apologize again for this :tearsofjoy: :innocent:

superplus, GopalB., Punk_69 and 3 others like this.
  11. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 6, 2018

Bouncer71, Mar 6, 2018 :
    thanks for taking the time to clarify the reporting system...!
    what ever makes you Moderators life easier, will make ours easier too...

12. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    In 2014/2015 was 10k chars. Should be the same...
    No need for tests

Praty_28, superplus, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  13. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Mar 6, 2018

AnonymousWP, Mar 6, 2018 :
    It's okay man! :)

It's incredible how much time and energy you put in this forum. I'm sure it's being appreciated a lot! Maybe you saw the question coming, but: how do you have so much time to get over 8000 posts like 6 months? :eek:

14. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Thy are all reports :tearsofjoy:

15. BeingIncog Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

16. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

I wasn't going to(maybe :p)! Thanks for the answer~
    That number is vastly overrated for 2 reasons:
    1) I actually enjoy doing what I do.
    2) More importantly, at least 2-3k of those posts are from my Copy Pasta list(to find out more, open the forum in a web browser in landscape mode, you'll find it in my signature, or if you're on a PC you can see it already).
    Edit: @GopalB. has more posts/days :D For context, from my time from ICS to JellyBean, he went from ICS to Lollipop...
    Reported :tearsofjoy:
    (Reports don't count as part of normal posts, right?)

17. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    we see the entire text of the section being reported...

18. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

GopalB. and Punk_69 like this.
  19. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    sorry mate, but if your responding via the community app, all we are seeing is [​IMG]

GopalB., Punk_69 and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  20. BeingIncog Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

BeingIncog, Mar 6, 2018 :
    lol, i'm against using that app! [​IMG] [​IMG]