Reporting Netiquette

1. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 6, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 6, 2018 :
    still only seeing [​IMG]

GopalB., idkwhoiam322 and Punk_69 like this.
  2. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

3. script Marshmallow Moderator Mar 6, 2018

script, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Please read above, it was already described.

Moderators (mostly me in case of photo reports) move the broken attachment post to the thread „please read the thread how to upload photos“. So that the user gets enough information and can learn how to do it better next time.

If we would just close those threads, the forum would be crowded with closed posts with broken attachments.

We believe, moving all broken attachment posts to the informational/educational thread is the better solution.

As said, don't post your own helpful explanations under broken posts. I have to delete all those posts..... It's not fun, because you have to do this 20-30 times per day.

Just report those posts with „photo fail“, and the broken attachment post can get handled quick and easy.

Praty_28, superplus, GopalB. and 7 others like this.
  4. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Been eagerly waiting for this
    Oh, I somehow missed that bit, I apologize, and thanks~
    Oh, i wasn't aware of this thread, will refrain from doing so, I guess this shortens my copy pasta list I think. Thanks for the info ;) (And I apologize extremely for my copy pasta in these cases... will do my best to avoid it in the future)

GopalB., Dresa91, Punk_69 and 2 others like this.
  5. eye842 KitKat Mar 6, 2018

eye842, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Been reporting so many photo threads that lately I've just written 'photo'. Will use 'move to photography' and 'photo fail' from now on.

Any advices regarding the adds/spam while we're at it?
    Usually I check posters profile to see if they have contributed to the forum or just are here for the spam before I report it either as a spam post or a spam poster.

6. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Report only the user or a single post. If you want you can include link to some other post by the same user, but usually it's enough just to bring our attention on the user. We will do our homework to verify and deal with it.

In general, we don't need multiple reports about the same situation. We always do some basic background check on each report

7. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Mar 6, 2018

nyzproof333, Mar 6, 2018 :
    I think the bottom line is stop being a backseat moderator and stay in your lane. Enjoy the forum and stop worrying about what others are doing.

Clear enough for you?

8. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Don't see the issue as long as I follow all the rules and no moderator has problems with what I do? If I'm ever asked to stop I will.

9. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 7, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Hi @gusuraman, good to see you active in the forums.

Great and useful post!!!

I've been reporting a whole lot of threads lately, cuz i was getting warnings for breaking the code of conduct :rolleyes:

Okay so from now on I'll be adding the reasons for reporting too :)

Btw, since the topic about reporting arose, I'd like to know what type of notifications do moderators get when a thread is reported? Is it a normal notification (like if someone likes one's post) or is it like a DM?

Cheers

10. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    @gusuraman I was always thinking of reporting a spam/ ad/ redundant thread that existed for more than a minute as it might already be reported but I'm not sure same way there might be more than just one report in many instances.

Can something be implemented in a way that it's clear to others that the thread is already reported? In case it's wrongly reported & the report is deleted the reported mark showing on the first post can be removed. This might help to reduce lot of clutter for the mods

11. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Mar 7, 2018

camohan, Mar 7, 2018 :
    It's a normal notificationm
    Already trying to see if the above can be implemented technologically.

12. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    That's great.

Also I was thinking of why aren't the language sub-forums made prominent enough for people to post in their language. Many don't even know they exist.

Often people find it annoying to see threads of other language and start abusing though some users respond politely. While some threads of specific language which I prefer not to mention exist without any issues, people of less competence in using G translate (understanding that is painful as well) feel it hard to communicate their issue and the thread derails on being communicated in a native language.

I see this as a discrimination among the community and wish some changes take place so that users less proficient in English aren't hurt or abused.

There isn't any Indian language under the language options while creating a thread. If it gets implemented, many of those 'Indian' threads get sorted out and be less annoying for other users.

13. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2018

nyzproof333, Mar 7, 2018 :
    If I'm reading between the lines you are being asked to stop by strictly adhering to the rules. If there wasn't a problem this thread wouldn't exist.

GopalB. likes this.
  14. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    It's not stop worrying about what others are doing. Just that be clear while reporting. If at all they want to say stop worrying, there is no need of the existence of report button or the need for mods to respond on our reported content.

GopalB. likes this.
  15. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Mar 7, 2018

camohan, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Most of the Indians talk in hinglish and not in hindi. Plus atleast I haven't seen many threads in hindi few in hinglish.
    Adding language filter will therfore not be of much use. India has a separate category altogether where it can be moved.
    Adding a language filter won't sort out threads created by Indians. If that is what you meant by those Indian threads?

16. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    People will choose to post in Hindi if they have an option. We can't be assured of it though, just an analysis of user behaviour - We don't do it unless we have it.
    I agree there's an Indian sub-forum but it gets the least preference as the placement is far down the list & not much action in that as well. I don't mean to say that needs much preference than the other useful sections.
    One more option & little behind the UI job might help to reduce some if not most clutter is what I feel.

GopalB. and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  17. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

I appreciate your concern and your point of view, but my questions were answered already, and if any further actions are required, I'm sure it will be done by the right people. Thanks~

Hydra Bob and Android450 like this.
  18. Ash645 Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2018

Ash645, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Wow! thank you for this!

My reports won't be similar to a third grader anymore! appreciate the information! @gusuraman

script, Bouncer71 and GopalB. like this.
  19. Laki Shetty Honeycomb Mar 7, 2018

Laki Shetty, Mar 7, 2018 :
    If oneplus dev team works actively on bug fixes, your burden will reduce. You can't control people posting redundant threads. Understand that even Oneplus is failing in making this forum useful.
    Ex: Humpteen no. Of posts were floating in the forum regarding camera quality improvement but OP didn't care about fixing it. Finally one guy of XDA is able to fix that issue atleast 70%. This shows moderators attentivness towards churning the bugs from forum threads. Hope moderator work just not only clearing the threads. Also make sure the required information reaching the dev.

20. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

There is a dedicated section just for bugs, why shouldn't users use that?

Drudo and Hydra Bob like this.