Reporting Netiquette

1. Android450 Lollipop Mar 7, 2018

Android450, Mar 7, 2018 :
    confused-onion-head-emoticon.gif

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 7, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 7, 2018 :
    this forum is a much better and cleaned up place today, than what it was about a year back. a good team effort.

recently, there was a thread where a member was continuously calling another member an 'idiot', despite being advised to check his language.

I did report the 1st thread with a note that all other comments from that member that followed were also abusive/ disrespectful. someone else also reported that member's comment.

normally, I would receive a notification about the action taken on the report. but this time, I didn't. I am not sure if any action was taken on that post, and more importantly on all the subsequent posts from that member?

how does it work?

1. if multiple members report the same post, are all of them notified about the action taken?

2. do we have to report every offensive post (by a member in the same thread) or reporting one post with a comment on the nature of subsequent posts from the same member would suffice?

GopalB. likes this.
  3. Laki Shetty Honeycomb Mar 7, 2018

Laki Shetty, Mar 7, 2018 :
    I am reporting the same every week from last 6 Months. Still OP team doesn't care about it. Infact many people here reported the bugs and so called bug hunter team not caring to fix it. At least they didn't care to enable support fro 3rd party camera API. Finally i settled with Oneplus Camera M with xposed module installed. OP should rethink their capability now. Not just making something for namesake.

4. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Making threads about it doesn't change anything. It also depends on their priority of bugs. Besides, this isn't the thread to discuss that.

Drudo and Hydra Bob like this.
  5. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 7, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Please note that reports are monitored ONLY by moderators. OnePlus devs don't see them.
    We mods consolidate those reports about software bugs and forward to admins. But the report function is not (and shouldn't ) meant for that. Report are for community issues only.
    Reporting bugs using the report function only adds clutter for mods and makes it harder for us to filter through reports.
    We are working on other ways to better track software issues on the forum

idkwhoiam322, script and Dresa91 like this.
  6. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 7, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Backseat moderation is not bad in itself.
    It becomes an issue when it leads to derailing (and usually does ).
    For example
    User A: you are an idiot
    User B: please mind your language
    User A: mind your own business mo.on
    User B: reported
    User A: i don't give a f
    User C and D usually join the party too.

That happens often, so che instead of a single bad post we have multiple posts to clean up and sometimes also the "Backseat Moderator" gets warnings as the situation escalate.

Reporting is cleaner and more efficient for us.

There are of course many levels of Backseat modding but in the general you should prefer the use of the reports.

7. izzykasha KitKat Mar 7, 2018

izzykasha, Mar 7, 2018 :
    I am regularly seeing posts made just to spark a flame and the soon derail with sometimes the same people going at each other over multiple threads.

Is this worth reporting or do you catch this sort of information and pattern in users?

Personally I'm trying to be tolerant and check new users total posts and then educate if they are new to the forum. Not backseat moderating as such just light education for new to forumers (I hate the term cupcake it's almost abusive now) but I think we all see this forum as ours in some form or another so we can all get out of our pram every now and then.

Happy to receive comments on where I am going wrong just let me know

I found this picture and wondered if this is the approved mascot for backseat moderating

1520410641870.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

8. Rick Manders KitKat Community Expert Mar 7, 2018

Rick Manders, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Nice mascotte. Cute cat btw.:p:D

9. GopalB. Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

GopalB., Mar 7, 2018 :
    So I was the only one how was not invited to the party!!! [​IMG]
    Well Thank you @script for the link... [​IMG]

@idkwhoiam322 , Great questions man!!!

I could imagine that...

Noted!!!
    Reason and link...
    Will keep that in mind...
    So that's why i got a PM from @keithnyc !!! [​IMG]

So now I'll stop posting instructions in photography threads... (You wanted me to see this specific section right @script !!!)

Most of that is already out man!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

That's too much!!! I'll try to use it as much as possible... [​IMG][​IMG]

Well!!! That's nothing!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

I usually stop around here^ but probably a tad bit harsher :innocent:
    I had some questions in mind for a while(2 days) actually, and was scared of asking till now :p
    Aye, you, Never_Settle, and I bother script a bit too much :p
    I think I gave out everything already XDD
    Spammer :rolleyes:

script and GopalB. like this.
  11. GopalB. Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

GopalB., Mar 7, 2018 :
    Hey BobbyVK...
    This is what I was referring to in that thread!!!
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...nd-improved-language-region-structure.468923/

12. TheRealGamer KitKat Mar 7, 2018

TheRealGamer, Mar 7, 2018 :
    I hope You have Forgive Me

keithnyc likes this.
  13. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    We will take this to PM and not make this place a mess. I will show you some threads when I find it. People jump to offending those struggling to communicate in English Is what I'm concerned about. Nothing else.
    I knew about the language settings already, I once found a mod accepting the user to communicate in his native language as he felt it difficult to express it in english. That's what I say as to be acceptable - limited to expressing their issues not views or regular chitter chatter. Atleast there should be some way to stop the abusive coments against them. I'll shoot you a PM now.

keithnyc and GopalB. like this.
  14. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 7, 2018 :
    @gusuraman Sometimes there begins a trend of new threads just like Google Lens as of now for which a Mega thread doesn't exist. In that case where do we point them to?
    Can giving link of any other thread is acceptable or Will saying "Google Lens" can suffice?

GopalB. and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  15. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 7, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Just provide the earliest (to your knowledge) thread on the subject. If we haven't already identified a base for a mega thread we will use that

16. GopalB. Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

GopalB., Mar 7, 2018 :
    I guess so...
    Then if many threads are being created, then mods will turn one of those threads into a mega thread...

keithnyc and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  17. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

In the case 2 "mega" threads exist, which do we tell then? In the recent ringtone issue, if I'm right, I noticed there were 2 threads where posts were merged, one was actually mega, like where over 40-50 pages were merged if I'm right, and another had about 10. We still point to the larger one yes?

18. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 7, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Well, actually it shouldn't be of your concern. Giving the link in a reply to the redundant thread should be avoided.
    Your post would be useless (and to be removed) after we merge the duplicate on the mega thread.
    If instead we are going to close the thread it doesn't make much difference.

So, better to report as duplicate with link in the report reason instead of giving the link in the thread. That would make an eventual merge cleaner.

keithnyc likes this.
  19. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Mar 7, 2018

I was talking about the report itself, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. In the report, we put the larger thread, yes?

20. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Mar 7, 2018

gusuraman, Mar 7, 2018 :
    Ah, my bad.
    Yes, link to the larger. The smaller probably exists by mistake or because it treats the topic slightly differently. We would use the smaller in such case

keithnyc and idkwhoiam322 like this.