[REQ] Source Code for In-Display Fingerprint Scanner

1. TheKnux
    Donut Dec 28, 2018

TheKnux , Dec 28, 2018 :
    Hello,

A lot of members of the XDA Community and some developers are already making and porting some great ROMs for this beast of a device. However, one drawback is on the AOSP based custom ROMs, is that the fingerprint sensor does not work. Some members and devs are saying because it's Source Code, Libs, and/or Blobs.

Whatever may be required to get it working for a custom ROM, could such files be released so we can get the fingerprint sensor working on custom ROMs?

OnePlus has always been known as a development friendly company since its debut, and even though there have been some rough patches here and there regarding that, they're still considered that to me. Please help the community in releasing these files so we can get started on making this already great device, even better.

Thanks in advance, TheKnux.

Also find me on XDA and Telegram by the same username if needed. :)

2. Joern85
    Eclair Dec 28, 2018

Joern85 , Dec 28, 2018 :
    Hopefully Oneplus is allowed to release the sources. I doubt it, because i think the drivers for the fingerprint sensor are closed source. But i'm no dev. Maybe there is a way without oneplus releasing the sources...

NateDev and TheKnux like this.
  3. TheKnux
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

TheKnux , Dec 29, 2018 :
    I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to seeing how they're the ones that made it work. I'm no dev either and maybe there is a way, it's just we haven't figured it out yet. I'm sure the sources/drivers would help us immensely though. As a user stated on XDA, in-display readers aren't natively supported in Android yet so that doesn't help the situation much.

NateDev likes this.
  4. jackyrobot
    Eclair Dec 29, 2018

jackyrobot , Dec 29, 2018 :
    I don't think we'll get it to work with custom roms until Android gets native support for in display readers, but hopefully it will soon as more and more devices get this feature. Oneplus just doesn't care about development anymore as they are growing more mainstream (they've just discontinued the developer seeding program). And there's no way they'll release propriety source code for the scanner as competitors could copy and and use this to make their fingerprint readers as fast as OnePlus.

TheKnux likes this.
  5. MANYA_1999
    Honeycomb Dec 29, 2018

MANYA_1999 , Dec 29, 2018 :
    Didn't oneplus said that they are just restarting it?

jackyrobot likes this.
  6. TheKnux
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

TheKnux , Dec 29, 2018 :
    Yeah I think they did not too long ago because people weren't happy. Although I think I remember them saying that it was gonna be different somehow.

jackyrobot likes this.
  7. jackyrobot
    Eclair Dec 29, 2018

jackyrobot , Dec 29, 2018 :
    I feel like that's just damage control for PR purposes. I'm curious to see if they actually restart it or not, because I haven't heard anything about it since.

TheKnux likes this.
  8. MANYA_1999
    Honeycomb Dec 29, 2018

MANYA_1999 , Dec 29, 2018 :
    I didn't even heard about start of this program.I can be wrong but I don't think they ever advertised this developer seeding program.

9. TheKnux
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

10. aeppacher
    Donut Jan 13, 2019

11. Joern85
    Eclair Jan 14, 2019

Joern85 , Jan 14, 2019 :
    not gonna happen...

12. Alessandro_R.
    Eclair Mar 16, 2019

Alessandro_R. , Mar 16, 2019 :
    I'm not an expert but if I understand correctly there if even not need that OP release the source code, if OP is not allowed to publish it.
    Maybe should be possible to dedicate a partition only for the in display fingerprint kernel which should remain untouched when flashing a new ROM.
    Of course the AOSP ROM should be adapted for this method.
    Anyone is in contact with OP for a feedback about the progress? It would be negative if OP will not support it because, contrary to past with other phone makers, this would be the first time that I should stuck on the stock ROM and this is what I don't like.
    Thanks

13. H4X0R46
    Eclair Apr 1, 2019

H4X0R46 , Apr 1, 2019 :
    It would be awesome if Android Q surprised us and had native support for optical scanners. I wouldn't hold my breath though, so few devices use in display scanners and if the Pixel devices won't adopt it (that's to be seen honestly) then I don't think Q would have support. WellW have to see! It sucks because I really want to try other roms, but I won't just because I like my fp scanner.

14. Alessandro_R.
    Eclair Apr 1, 2019

Alessandro_R. , Apr 1, 2019 :
    Having native support in Android Q would be great!!
    Today I see a post of another user claiming that on some custom ROMs fp is working but it has not yet released to public . I wrote also to OP to get statement.

H4X0R46 likes this.
  15. H4X0R46
    Eclair Apr 2, 2019

H4X0R46 , Apr 2, 2019 :
    I feel like if the Pixel 4 and XL have an in display fingerprint sensor, they'll most likely go with an ultrasonic sensor. I just have a feeling. Not sure what that source would mean for us being that we have optical sensors, but it's late here and I'm just thinking out loud now lol

Alessandro_R. likes this.
  16. H4X0R46
    Eclair Apr 2, 2019

H4X0R46 , Apr 2, 2019 :
    I made a thread here on this forum as well some time back about the very same thing, the sensor. I didn't get too far. I even talked to a support rep and flat out asked about the source code for the sensor, and they gave me the run around about how Android is open source but they have no word on if or when their fingerprint source would ever be public. Didn't get anywhere with that.

17. Alessandro_R.
    Eclair Apr 12, 2019

Alessandro_R. , Apr 12, 2019 :
    Finally in-display fingerprint is available on some custom ROMs!!!
    But as far I know it's because of merit of some developers and not because of OP support.
    I hope I'm wrong and if finally they decided to support the alternative ROMs development I will thanks OP.

G_One_virus likes this.