Request to get a One Plus 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 21, 2016

jgcaap , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Hello. How are you guys? Probably some of you already know me from the One Plus One phone and here I am wanting and wishing to play on with a new device. This doesn't mean I’ll drop support to the One Plus One, but I would like to have a One Plus 3 and also in return will provide support as I did with One Plus One.

I've provided support the best of my knowledge for already 1 year and 2-3months to the OnePlus One. And we've improved on Speed, Stability, rom functionality and my last best effort Camera by using ColorOS blobs.

This kind of writing sounds simple and very few but I was someone with 0 knowledge and invested already more than 1000 hours on the phone. Let me here explain the process:

1) building the rom

2) fixing the errors

3) testing the rom

4) rebuilding the rom with modification a

5) testing the rom

6) rebuilding the rom with modification b

7) testing the rom

8) Learned that modification b wasnt good enought, created a c

9) testing the rom

10) etc..

This required quite some time, and dedication as you can understand. And problably many of you would have given up after a week of trying. (I saw this happening many times, even people with IT knowledge). But I never gave up, even with all the instability and the "war" on bugs.

The war on bugs basically was done by reading the code, and understanding if i could do it my self, or searching for alternative solutions accross google, by learning code or checking others people github.

One of the biggest annoying bugs I had in the begging was with bluetooth which was always broken for a slight modification on the optimizations level, and I found a way to fix it with some developers code.

Some of the achievements:
    Improved rom bionic to a great level where people are happy with performance and battery.
    Improved the kernel on speed and clean of hacks in order to bring a better experience to the user.
    Learned to build toolchains and created my own configuration inside the ubertc system to have what all of you call the best smooth experience.
    Improved frameworks with upstream code.
    Implemented the latest proguard and sqlite regularly and update it to make sure we were always ahead with the roms.
    Found an alternative solution for camera, which took me around 4-5 months to figure out how to fix it properly (95%), and with a bit of help fixed it to be 100 % working on kernel level and blobs.
    Edited more than 40 sources, which I keep regularly updated.
    I've tested, created already around 390 kernel versions since Lolipop times until the Marshmallow and will continue to improve.
    I also sometimes broke the server (around 8 - 10 times) because I was learning to put ubuntu system to build in a top level for us on quality and I've discovered how to do it properly.
    etc

I think I was able to show you the picture of what I'm trying to share here.

What makes me to open this thread is that I heard about a developers’ program, where some developers were selected and given away the phone. I don't know the criteria of selection, but I feel that I am left aside here.

So 3 months ago I asked the criteria to OnePlus and still got no reply. Probably they must be busy and forgot. So this weekend I sent again a new email regarding this issue, where I spoke about my accomplishments in order to see if I could fit. I explained that I don't have cash to buy this phone and I would love to continue supporting the OnePlus line.

So I leave here publicly the email I sent this weekend as I believe this is a matter which probably they look skeptically not sure.

As you might see I mentioned my strengths:

fast learner
    got popularity because i gave my best and people recognize it and I’m sure a group of people will eventually come to this device to follow up
    knowledge on technology
    humble because I learn also a lot with users as I sometimes make mistakes

I wished to kept this private, but since the company has provided no reply I've decided to put on the forum. Probably the responsible will be able to reply publicly with an yes or a no, and of course a why if is a no.

As you might understand I feel It is unfair for all the efforts I've put into this if is a no. If is an yes, it'll probably be your cheapest investment.

Thanks,
    Jorge

2. jizang
    Lollipop Jun 21, 2016

jizang , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Hey, get in line. I was begging 1st for a FREE OP3 :p:p. Anyway best of luck trying ... LOL:D:D

Kage, Ceasedd, TiramisuNY and 3 others like this.
  3. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Jun 21, 2016

Lancelot_69 , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Is the no begging policy just for invites or can it be applied here?? Asking for a friend :p

4. bright_wal
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2016

bright_wal , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Your camera libs implementation was spectacularly done, everytime i take a pic, an indirect thanks goes to you, the colorOS camera blobs are amazing! Cheers! Hope you get selected!!!

Kage and Jole7 like this.
  5. Robson
    KitKat Jun 21, 2016

Kage, brunoaguiar, techygeek and 3 others like this.
  6. Moin2200
    KitKat Jun 21, 2016

Moin2200 , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I understand your frustration, but it makes sense that oneplus has been giving phones to big developers like garak.
    It's what the forum wants, they wanted paranoid and cyanogenmod the most when it comes to custom roms and oneplus wanted to ensure that they got that that's why they were given this opportunity.
    You might have been doing roms for oneplus for some time, but these guys has been doing it for many years and built a reputation not only for themselves but for their roms too.
    And frankly not trying to be mean but I never heard about you and I've been here since the very first launch of oneplus, so it'll makes sense that they choose some developers that are more commonly known.

Again that's just what I think.

7. PCesar.Cercal
    KitKat Jun 21, 2016

PCesar.Cercal , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Hello there. we have Cristiano Ronaldo the best in the world in football. we also have the @jgcaap Jorge in the development Android to oneplus one. is a develop recognized as XDA or oneplus forum. please provide a oneplus 3 to @jgcaap, so we will have a good and recognized development for this killer 3.

Zi0n, Kage, brunoaguiar and 3 others like this.
  8. jaimal_tandel

jaimal_tandel , Jun 21, 2016 :
    You've invested time in this similarly to how a person working for the company would do, that too without asking for a stack of cash for the work you do and so you deserve it the same way that a Oneplus employee would deserve a phone - not just a free phone, but to work on it and improve it.

9. rafaelmf14
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2016

rafaelmf14 , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I'm still using a Oneplus One, and your Rom is the best. The stability and the improvements you made doesn't make me think about replacing my phone, for example the OP3, and because of that they maybe don't want you to make development for the Op3, cause if people start to use your Rom, people will only need to buy another phone when the Op10 comes out :p

10. Tammazz
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

Tammazz , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Yeah! Jgcaap's rom rock! Give him the 3! The best rom ever on the opo, months of fun and support would be for sure to the op3 too if u thrust this guy! (and a let's op3 a bestseller phone ;))

Kage and jaimal_tandel like this.
  11. pradipt_wil
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2016

pradipt_wil , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Yeah, I've been using your rom for looong time. Sometimes i want switch to another rom, eg. sultan's but always flash to your rom again;). Jgcaap are the best developer we had. He deserved op3.

Kage likes this.
  12. Tammazz
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

Tammazz , Jun 21, 2016 :
    There is any frustrating in his request :) and if you don't know him take a look on xda opo section, and maybe flash his rom :) (if you have the opo obviously :)) i'm nearly 7 years playing with android's rom, i'm not a dev, not an expert for sure, but i know how a rom for daily usage have to be, and the one of this guy need attention and better a flash :) give it a try ;)

Kage likes this.
  13. prem.kansara
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2016

prem.kansara , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I support you in this @jgcaap
    You DESERVE a OP3
    BEST ROM for OPO and I hope you get chance of developing same great ROM for OP3

Kage likes this.
  14. Miksel12
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2016

Miksel12 , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I have been using Jgcaaps rom for the OPO for a long time now and it's amazing.
    If there is one person who I would like to dev on the OP3 it would be Jgcaap!

Kage likes this.
  15. Moin2200
    KitKat Jun 21, 2016

Lol a lot of smilies there, kinda creeping me out.
    But the fact remains that people wanted cm and pa Rom the most, that's why they got early hands on.
    Oneplus can't satisfy everyone?

16. jgcaap

jgcaap , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Garak is indeed a good developer. What makes you say I'm not at his level? I'm dedicated, hardworking and try the best possible to be original and keep commits authorship intact.

And from what I know they also offered to other developers (not only garak!) which are not even recognized developers or contributers on xda and done much less on inovating rom development and even kernel without copying others people authorship . I have no clue if those developers which claim to have received a phone were lying but just for knowing that is a program which exists, I want to participate. And i'm a recognized contributer in xda which grew on thanks almost to 10000. I believe thats quite alot... And it is proof that i'll make a difference.

Now imagine you have a group of devs in the open source. You do not pay salaries here. The payment is a phone which will endure for 2-3 years? Thats nothing for a company and look to the bright side, two heads means two will focus on different things, and if they are smart enought will help one another. Imagine now how the users will behave then... I believe there will be many happy faces there.

I'll tell you a bit about me, some of the users already know this, I'm very ambitious when comes to projects. I like to make things which will change the way we do things into something better. I believe the Operating System should be something that is part of our "human body". It may sound weird at first, but if you think about it, how are you connected to others? Internet, GSM and and most importantly personal contact. Now, imagine you have a ROM which feels that is as fluid as your mind and body, which reacts quickly, is praticle and works how is supposed to work. Thats my goal and ambition for the roms I've been producing. Sometimes I am able to achieve a new level, sometimes I don't. But i'll give all the best until then.

So for not having quited for a year, created a user base, for surpassing difficulties alone and also with help. I believe I totally deserve, and I also believe I'm not small at least I am "medium size" and my aim is to become large, because I know that If I'm able to make a difference i'll have changed your life to better and made smile on your face.

In case you have a One Plus One I invite you to my thread and give a try: http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/rom-cm-12-builds-t3045053

Thanks,
    Jorge

dblaster, Kage, Nine2Five and 4 others like this.
  17. royz0r
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2016

royz0r , Jun 21, 2016 :
    What if someone start a funding program so we can all choose how much we donate, I think that we will reach 400$ easily if everybody donates some for this great developer.

18. aaron.hossain75
    Lollipop Jun 21, 2016

aaron.hossain75 , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Yup that's easy to manage .

jaimal_tandel and royz0r like this.
  19. Moin2200
    KitKat Jun 21, 2016

Like I said not trying to be mean, so don't take it so hard.

I understand that you are a good developer I can see that from the people who comment here, I'm just trying to make a point based on observations. Cyanogenmod and paranoid android was on the top of oneplus's to do list, so it was important to make them available from day one.

A lot of other really great developers didn't get a oneplus 3 either, like:
    Sultan
    Marsh
    Sky dragon
    Exodus
    So you see, oneplus can't satisfy everyone with everything so you shouldn't get your hopes up or be too disappointed.
    Just because you didn't get a phone doesn't it mean you aren't a good developer or that your rom is bad, they are just too busy and still a young company so they are still learning.

But who knows, with the backup from the forum and the attention this thread is getting you might just get a oneplus 3.

I'll cross my fingers for you, cheers mate.

Kage likes this.
  20. jaimal_tandel

jaimal_tandel , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Easily do it.
    If Oneplus thinks he's not important but we think he is then we can do it instead of Oneplus.

Kage and cedalone like this.