Request to get a One Plus 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmark240
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2016

bmark240 , Jun 22, 2016 :
    I cannot believe that the OnePlus 3 hasn't made it's way to the ROM developers like @jgcaap and @Aaahh.
    They tirelessly work to enrich the lives of the end user. They are what makes a community WHOLE. They are the ones that GIVE. That is why they cannot be overlooked to receive a newer model of phone. It's what makes things more bearable whilst looking over commits & code. It's what makes things more bearable when you have achieved something amazing. If this doesn't happen, there is less incentive to develop, or even to stay with this company.
    Always remember the motto #Never Settle!

jgcaap likes this.
  2. Gonzo01
    Lollipop Jun 22, 2016

Gonzo01 , Jun 22, 2016 :
    it's not begging..

it's
    enthusiastic request™

rules do not apply here :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

theshinybeast, jgcaap and Lancelot_69 like this.
  3. Fred M.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2016

Fred M. , Jun 22, 2016 :
    I'll 'Ditto' the numerous support posts for JGCaap and his work with the OP1. I've been using his ROM for about a year now, and it is really stable, smooth, and quick. It's been my DD all along. If Jorge can get his hands on a OP3 the community will absolutely benefit! Heck, if he gets a OP3 to start dev'ing on, I'll buy one to keep following!

4. Nine2Five
    Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

5. rafaelmf14
    Honeycomb Jun 23, 2016

6. daneoleary
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

daneoleary , Jun 23, 2016 :
    I can get behind this a little more than someone saying that volunteering their time to create ROMs makes them entitled to a free phone.

I don't know you and have never heard of you. The OnePlus 2 was my first OnePlus phone so I would never have come across your ROM anyway. For all I know, it could be the best ROM on the planet, but the thing is that you chose to devote your time to creating ROMs for the OnePlus One. If your ROM is as popular as you say, OnePlus probably knew about it and there's got to be a reason you weren't selected. Either they chose from a pool of developers at random and happened to not draw your name from the hat, or they simply chose other developers. Either way, the time you spent creating software for the OnePlus one -- no matter how wonderful it may be -- doesn't entitle you to a free phone. And OnePlus is under no obligation to give you one.

Think of it this way, too... There are certainly a number of people out there who have made ROMs who feel the exact same way that you do. Where do you draw the line? You send out a batch of phones to developers, and then one of them says "What about me?" So you send one more. And then another developer raises their hand... "Hey, if he gets one then I should get one, too!" You've got to draw the line somewhere.

But it also goes the other way around, too. Just because you weren't chosen for the OnePlus developers' team this time around doesn't mean what you've created isn't great and doesn't make you a viable option.

Like I said, I have a bit of an issue emailing OnePlus and, however politely it may be worded, telling them that because you've made creating software for one of their phones your personal hobby, you deserve a free phone. However, if people who like your ROMs want to come together and buy you one, I can definitely support that. If I used and liked your ROM I'd probably contribute myself.

I don't mean any of this as an insult, but there are many people who would like to have a OnePlus 3 phone and can't buy one, and I'm sure it could be argued that many of them deserve to have a OnePlus 3 for one reason for another. I wish you all the best and I do truly hope you get yourself a OnePlus 3 to tinker with, however it happens. Good luck.

Thecrazyskull likes this.
  7. Tammazz
    Donut Jun 23, 2016

Tammazz , Jun 23, 2016 :
    There's another point that somebody here seem to don't understand. Give to a dev a free phone without nobody ask for him as maybe less risky then give a free phone to someone that people are asking for? That's commerce. Jgcaap asking his user if they will support him this way, and is correct this way so his user can benefit of his rom (without spent themselves money) , and oneplus can benefit in more phone sold. Don't accuse him to would somthing only for himself but for his users too that is asking to oneplus :)

EDIT : sorry if my english isn't clear xD

8. Steeplechase
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2016

9. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2016

jgcaap , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Hello. :) I understand your opinion, and i agree with most of it. Now it is important to clarify I never myself said I am entitled to received because i develop a ROM, thats a conclusion you took alone. And also it is important to clarify that, in no way you'll be paying for the phone, as this was a donation from OnePlus company, so here you can even not know me, and think Another dev support him to have a better dev community, or don't support him and perhaps we won't have such a dev community, thats the logical reasoning if I was in your place.
    Now what i've commented, as i've tried to explain on the first text, there were developers with the oneplus two that was offered a pack of the developer program. Those developers have done much less when compared to what i tried to bring for this community. If it entitles them why not me? Is a question i asked OnePlus company on the first email what was their criteria, and got no reply.
    And right now I requested a phone and presented my reasons: I have no money to buy a new one as I am currently unemployed and would love to play with a new technology on the side that is related to development. I know that if i ask the xda and OnePLus users community they would donate for me to buy a phone . But I already feel that you guys helped me out and "protected" when I got unemployed with many donations. So following that line of thinking I've requested OnePlus for a new phone and right now I turned it public since I got no reply from the company.

On the OnePlus two you never saw me there because firstly, they never replied or invited me to their developers program or you can make sure you have a rom by now.

I just would like to know a Yes or a No, and if is a No a why.

I hope I was able to clarify

Another thing i would like to add. I receive no compensation from the OnePlus company, but in case I buy their phone and develop, you can make sure i'll have a group of users which will buy together with me. Only for that I believe I deserve a compensation as I'm not a comercial of the company :p (now you can say i do believe I am entitled hehehe ).

In case you like Law you problably will understand what it is said on the comercial law , which is not very different from country to country as it is becoming more standardized. And i'm not demanding anything to OnePlus, just asking them to avoid the users to send me donations. Doesn't make sense, they'll receive someone which is dedicated and will be happy, i'll be happy, the community will be also happy by saying "ahh this company listened to the developers request", etc etc. No one looses here. It's a win win situation for everyone. :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

crysen, brunoaguiar, Alvie and 3 others like this.
  10. vkzod
    Eclair Jun 24, 2016

crysen and jgcaap like this.
  11. mguerreiro10
    Honeycomb Jun 24, 2016

mguerreiro10 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    @jgcaap , you have my support on this one! It's indeed a great rom with awsome stability, low power comsuption and incredible performance. Your rom is updated frequently (which takes lots of time).

Give this guy an OP3! He deserves it!!!

crysen and jgcaap like this.
  12. nunopinho1982
    Lollipop Jun 24, 2016

nunopinho1982 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Common man, do you actually have evaluated what you are saying? First, the more devs there is the better more stuff will come out of it. Can you actually do that small math? Second! I agree when Jorge says that he should be compensated because he'll bring alot of users from OnePlus One, the company will win with it. Why do you disagree on something that you'll also win? Just think about it.

crysen and brunoaguiar like this.
  13. Akmeena15
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

Akmeena15 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    jGCAap why u are convincing or requesting. U DESERVE MEN U DESERVE!!!AND WHY ONEPLUS IS taking too long.give jgcaap AND OTHER DEVS what they deserve (deserve more then op3).so plz ONEPLUS deliver op3 to their home.they made opo a living legend.they had done more hardwork then oxygen team to make opo a steal device.

AND JGCAAP deserve more then >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>400$ machine

crysen and jaimal_tandel like this.
  14. Akmeena15
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

Akmeena15 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    U are absolutely right they deserve more then >>>>>>>>>>>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>400$ electronic machine

jaimal_tandel likes this.
  15. rafaelmf14
    Honeycomb Jun 24, 2016

rafaelmf14 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Lol? :p it's was for me?

16. F_Evan_Otis_JpsJ
    Donut Jun 24, 2016

F_Evan_Otis_JpsJ , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Start a gofundme page. I'll be the first to donate so we can get a device in your hands as quick as possible. :)

17. nunopinho1982
    Lollipop Jun 24, 2016

rafaelmf14 likes this.
  18. daneoleary
    Froyo Jun 25, 2016

daneoleary , Jun 25, 2016 :
    The developer community for OnePlus (and even Android as a whole) is overwhelming. Do you think you're the only one who's not been given a developer's package but who has contributed significantly to the software available for OnePlus devices? And this is one of the points I was making. I'd bet there are many others out there who feel their contributions warrant their inclusion in the OnePlus developer program. There's no way for OnePlus to provide free tech to every person who has written a line of code for one of their phones. Surely, they have their own ways of choosing who gets a developer package and who doesn't. I strongly feel that if you're unable to buy yourself a phone and are unable to pay for one, instead of making it OnePlus' responsibility to make sure you can develop software for the OnePlus, it would make a lot more sense to let the numerous people who are clearly fans of your work to contribute. People pay for apps in the Google Play Store, donate on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, so it's basically the same concept.

It's common knowledge that one of the biggest drivers of OnePlus' sales and growth has been positive word-of-mouth. Sure, there might be a number of people who will buy OnePlus devices if you do, but many of us have shared invites with family and friends, shown them our devices and the marketing content, gotten them hyped about new releases. We've all contributed to OnePlus' growth. Does that mean we should all get free phones? No, that's not how it works.

If you really love OnePlus devices, you'll probably develop software for them whether OnePlus gives you a free phone or not. You're essentially asking them to compensate you for time you willingly gave to creating software for their devices, which is something I presume you enjoy doing otherwise you wouldn't do it. Again, there are surely hundreds (if not thousands) of people who, like you, have created great software for OnePlus devices and who could be said to "deserve" free phones. OnePlus can't give everyone a free phone, and if they give you one after you plead your case and tell them why you should get a free OnePlus 3, many others are going to start doing the same thing. Surely, they'll be able to provide compelling reasons why they should get free devices. There's just no way to do it for everyone. It would be nice if they could, but they'd go out of business.

This is the best idea. If you feel that you deserve a OnePlus 3, and clearly there are others who agree with you, let the people who want you to continue making software for OnePlus devices chip in. If twenty people contribute $20, you're set.

As I said before, I'm not being mean or trying to insult you in any way. I just don't think it's fair (to OnePlus or to any of their customers/fans/developers) to say that you're more deserving of a free phone than many other, which is essentially what you're saying when you're asking them to give you a free phone over other people.

Thecrazyskull and TheCrazyLex like this.
  19. TheCrazyLex
    Recognized developer Recognized Developer Jun 25, 2016

TheCrazyLex , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Why did you list exodus? I am in the program.. :)

Alex

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

20. SferaDev
    Paranoid Android Jun 25, 2016

SferaDev , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Okay... So how are you guys comparing developers? Because they picked already done stuff and took credit? Or because they spammed these forums (and xda) with nonsense threads about ports, non original custom ROMs and whatever you guys call development.

Now, I consider myself a developer but simply because I enjoy creating stuff from scratch and re-engineering what already exists to fit my current needs. Not only on my day to day job but on my hobbies. If I get rewarded for my hobbies it's great but I would never compare with another real developer, which you guys aren't, just to get a freebie.