Require authentication for shutdown

1. mmowaffak
    Eclair Jun 17, 2019

mmowaffak , Jun 17, 2019 :
    One of the handy security features in Samsung Galaxy Series OS is the ability to require some form of authentication to shut down your phone. In my opinion this is an essential security feature as I can briefly demonstrate:

A month ago my father's phone (Samsung G Note 8) was stolen from his clinic, after panicking for a while he called me and I opened Find My Android to my surprise find the phone nearby. This is very very unusual as here in Egypt usually the first thing that a thief does is turn the phone off so u cant trace it, send it to a phone shop to wipe it and resell it.

in this case however the battery is unremovable, the phone cannot be shutdown, and I had the opportunity to track down the thief and have him arrested!! It is a very very unlikely scenario here in Egypt where when you're phone is stolen, 90% of the time you won't get it back.

In this case, this one single feature saved us around 800$.

I strongly recommend adding this natively in Oxygen OS as all third party apps aren't doing an adequate job.

What are your thoughts people?

2. Ulises Robles
    Gingerbread Jun 17, 2019

Ulises Robles , Jun 17, 2019 :
    On the lock screen you shouldn't even be able to turn off the data, WiFi or GPS. The only thing you should be able to do on the lock screen is to turn on the flashlight.

3. mmowaffak
    Eclair Jun 17, 2019

Totally agree! Turning off the phone is a no brainer for any person who steals it or would want to hide your location since tracking is so easy now. It should require authentication for sure!

4. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

elanglois , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Please stop.

Hold the button longer and the phone turns off. If that doesn't work, I'll short your USB port and the safety switch will kill the phone quick.

False security is NOT security

And can we please stop these redundant threads about the same shit? It's solo tiring. Whatever happened to not covetting thy neighbor and all that? Its not just copying what your neighbor has but the blind leading the blind!

5. Dhruv Razdan
    Donut Jun 17, 2019

Dhruv Razdan , Jun 17, 2019 :
    This is one feature that may actually help with the chances of finding your stolen phone. This is the exact thought that came to my head when I lost my OP5 few months back. I knew the phone would not be too far because I had the phone a minute ago.

There should be an authentication feature to shut down. Sure there may be loopholes to get through them but a lay man would not know. And at the end of the day this is only increasing the probability of finding your phone without doing any harm. I HIGHLY recommend OP to put this feature!

6. otto2
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

otto2 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    And what will you do if your system hngs an do not respond at any kind of input? Rhere will always b some hard reset option. If you re so afraid that your phone can be stolen then use a cheap phone and don t buy an expnsive one. And take more care of your goods, too.

7. Dhruv Razdan
    Donut Jun 17, 2019

Dhruv Razdan , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Yes there should be a hard reset option that YOU should know. Also, this is being talked about as an OPTIONAL feature.
    No one is shoving it on to you like you are shoving your mindless opinion upon being responsible and buying a cheaper phone.

8. parag008
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2019

parag008 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    does your samsung stays on even when the power button is hold for one minute or so?
    i am curious.

if it does then with an average thief here around in india especially Gujarat wont be able to switch it off via any handy dandy tools before one is able to track it or lock it down.
    well everywhere scenarios are different and thieves these days have become smarter. so that might not help much. but in some cases it can help.

if it doesn't then its useless feature i would say.

9. otto2
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

otto2 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    If you do not like answers , don t post questions. a thief also can wrap your phone in aluminium foil to prevent any kind of tracking. So what? And any kind of programmable hard reset option won t work, if system hangs. So you still need a hard reset option,and as @elanglois mentioned before . Just use some USB connector with a bricked power connector for a second and all your locks are gone,too. Instead of telling other to be quiet, some users should steart to listen and to learn. ;)

buntycubal, B_Wrath and Budruel like this.
  10. Chungtd
    Gingerbread Jun 17, 2019

11. Nick 59
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

Nick 59 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    How many times are people gonna post the same old rubbish. Read the other replies in this thread and also consider how the simplest of tools can be used by a phone thief.
    Paperclip.jpg

otto2, G_plusone and B_Wrath like this.
  12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Turning off from the lock screen should not also happen.

The only thing to allow from the lock screen is the reboot option. Press and hold the power button long enough and the phone will reboot.

This is definitely a security feature, even if you fail to see the benefits.

Dhruv Razdan, Matt 80 and mmowaffak like this.
  13. mmowaffak
    Eclair Jun 17, 2019

I'm not sure why people are being extremely hostile, you can disagree AND be a decent human being at the same time, unless you were not loved as a child.

People trying to prove a point by suggesting CIA- level hacks like wrapping in aluminum foil are not worth an answer. I'll re-iterate, this is an OPTIONAL feature, that makes it a wee-bit harder for petty thieves to shutdown down your phone (instantly) without having to resort to a hard reset (which thieves are pretty ignorant about) and as mentioned earlier will send this phone to a shop to wipe it and resell it.

often shops will not accept phones without their original packaging to make sure they weren't stolen. So assuming in this context that the thief is not tech savvy and just wants to make a quick buck, the notion of (false security) is still security, it will at least be a deterrent.

If a guy nabs a phone discreetly and attempts to shut it down at once, relying on the fact that it will give him time to go around and have it wiped, he will fail and will give the owner a fighting chance.

Be respectful to other people. This isn't kindergarten.

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

It is a real security feature. There is nothing false about it. Just because there are ways to bypass a security feature doesn't make it false in anyway. The feature is definitely useful under various scenarios, especially when the owner reaction time is fast enough.

mmowaffak likes this.
  15. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

Matt 80 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Yeah you're correct, it just reboots the device. My mistake.

16. Neddard
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

Neddard , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Is phone theft in your country(s) really that prevalent?

In 20+ years of using / owning mobile phones, I only know 3 people who had phone theft.

Nick 59 likes this.
  17. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Jun 17, 2019

toastytoast1234 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Pointing out the flaws in your idea - for the 1000th time - is extremely hostile?

Ok.

Uhuh.

I don't think thieves are as ignorant as you think they are.

Budruel, otto2 and Nick 59 like this.
  18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

@otto2

What is your point? Just because locks can be broken, people should stop using locks?

Do you guys leave your house and cars unlocked just because their locks can be broken?

Dhruv Razdan and mmowaffak like this.
  19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2019

Most are neither as intelligent as you think they are.

20. mmowaffak
    Eclair Jun 17, 2019

toastytoast1234

Pointing out the flaws in your idea - for the 1000th time - is extremely hostile?​

Um.. no, I welcome constructive criticism, but calling other peoples' ideas (shit) is something else.

CIA- level hacks like wrapping in aluminum foil​

CIA- level​

Yes, again, I'm not sure who in the hell would have a first thought to WRAP ALUMINUM FOIL around a phone to block a signal in the minutes directly after stealing a phone, are you for real?
    (which thieves are pretty ignorant about)​

I don't think thieves are as ignorant as you think they are.​

I don't think you can quantify that, I speak from experience. The thief in my encounter was a couple, a patient and his wife who seemed to be unsuspicious at all. I don't think they know how to hard reset a phone, and dis not have time to remove the sim card.

This isn't pinting flaws, it's shitting on ideas just because you disagree. Just because a security protocol can be overriden/ worked around doesn't mean it's useless.

Also if there is another thread that is discussing this, feel free to point me there as i searched before posting this one and found none.