REVIEW Bamboo cover and JBL headphones

1. mummse
    Eclair Jan 18, 2015

mummse , Jan 18, 2015 :
    A few days ago I received my order of the bamboo swap cover and 1+ JBL headphones. The following were my initial thoughts from the first few days of use.

Bamboo cover
    Straight out of the box i was very impressed. In the box you will find 2 SIM card trays (1 reg and 1 micro), the bamboo swap cover, a triangle tool that aids in the removal of the stock cover, and directions for the procedure. As per usual the design of the box and it's presentation is very nice (to the point that I cannot bring my self to recycle the box).

Getting the stock cover off was very easy and the new one went on with ease as well. The fit and finish is just as well sorted as the stock cover. I am very happy with the cover with one exemption, which is to be expected with a wood product.. it's quite slick in your hand. I really noticed the difference from the perfectly tactile sandstone cover. I completely understand that this is a polished wood product, but I would like to have some sort of grippy surface (a thin vertical stripe or something) that will help to keep the phone in my hand when in the vertical position.

Would I recommend the bamboo cover to others? Absolutely. If you want a slick looking phone that is unlike anything on the market and you are ok with having a polished back surface then this is for you.

1+ JBL headphones
    I have extensive history with headphone as I have owned many pairs. In fact, I have a box full of various headphones in my office. I enjoy listening to all kinds of music, mainly electronic, but I would not say I am an audio file so take this review with a slight grain of salt.

The packaging isn't up to par with the products the come directly from one plus, but that's ok with me as I wouldn't likely use a case for these anyway. The finish/ build quality of these is on par with their price point, if not a little above. The inline controller leaves allot to be desired as it's very bulky and lacks tactile feedback to let the user know where your fingers are on the controller (i often press the wrong button, especially when i want to hit the play pause button in the middle). This is especially apparent if you have ever used the inline controller on the headphones that come with Apple's "i" products. The sound quality is pretty good and what I would expect with the price point. The main downfall in the sound is the low end as it gets muddy when at high volume, especially if you are enhancing the sound with AudioFX.

Would I recommend the 1+ JBL headphones. Yes I would as they are decent, but at the same time I would also recommend you to see what else there is in this price point and decide from there. These are good and do what I need them to do, but I'm sure if you look you fill find something better for the same price.

jjppttccbb, J.Chen89, nizket and 2 others like this.
  2. B4kken
    Lollipop Jan 18, 2015

B4kken , Jan 18, 2015 :
    I got mine quickly few days ago too. I agree with your statements, the backcover was very easy to replace(!) And it feels so good. Looks good too.

The headphones are great. I haven't owned that many great ones though so it's a step up for me. I also liked the simplicity of the packaging though.

aniimel, Kattis, jjppttccbb and 2 others like this.
  3. lassmat
    Jelly Bean Jan 18, 2015

lassmat , Jan 18, 2015 :
    Good

4. I73770k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 18, 2015

Jamesst20 likes this.
  5. evon
    Gingerbread Jan 18, 2015

evon , Jan 18, 2015 :
    I have yet to pull the trigger on buying a pair of JBLs. It's either these or the Piston 2...i just can't make up my mind

6. skritch
    Gingerbread Jan 18, 2015

skritch , Jan 18, 2015 :
    I have the Piston 2 and they are quite nice. My bamboo cover is on the way.

7. Edbit33
    Jelly Bean Jan 18, 2015

8. J.Chen89
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2015

J.Chen89 , Jan 20, 2015 :
    Quick question, so I woke up this morning to a bamboo invite and purchased it immediately. I was just wondering how long did it take for you from pressing the order button to receiving it at your door step? Also thanks for the review, I can't wait to have it in my hands!

9. Noowiningcookies
    Cupcake Jan 20, 2015

10. mummse
    Eclair Jan 20, 2015

mummse , Jan 20, 2015 :
    I'm in Canada and the package originated in California. It took 3 days to arrive at my door. Very very fast!

Sorry to say I have not used the xplosive headphones so I cannot compare.

J.Chen89 likes this.
  11. arjun l
    Cupcake Jan 20, 2015

12. J.Chen89
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2015

J.Chen89 , Jan 20, 2015 :
    Cool thanks! I'm in Boston so hopefully it's the same for me.

13. Eddy_Prms
    Gingerbread Jan 20, 2015

Eddy_Prms , Jan 20, 2015 :
    Are they randomly giving out Bamboo Case invites!? Or do you have to sign up somewhere? I took the survey but those are for giveaways. I wouldn't mind paying for one

14. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Jan 20, 2015

jerrymilton , Jan 20, 2015 :
    review ? they've been REVIEWED TO DEATH months ago.

15. talluri
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2015

16. Noowiningcookies
    Cupcake Jan 20, 2015

Noowiningcookies , Jan 20, 2015 :
    That's fine! Thank you anyways :D

17. BigP
    Jelly Bean Jan 20, 2015

18. mummse
    Eclair Jan 20, 2015

mummse , Jan 20, 2015 :
    Not entirely sure. I put my name in a few spots along with signing up for contests so I'm not really sure if my invite was random or selected out of a list. Either way I was happy to receive one!

Eddy_Prms likes this.