Review for Oxygen OS 11 is not good via OnePlus 8

1. yashsugandhi
    Donut Aug 14, 2020

yashsugandhi , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Make it optional or else don't make it compulsory.

I have been using OnePlus 3T from 2017 and bought OnePlus 8 to use the near stock android experience. I am afraid that new Oxygen OS Update going to ruin the simplicity which I liked.

I have not paid for this device to have some random update where you change the whole interface all together. I have not paid for such abrupt change.

I believe you listen to people voice in this community.

A Proud User and Promotor of OnePlus Devices in my family

OnePlus 3T
    OnePlus 5
    OnePlus 5T
    OnePlus 6
    OnePlus 7
    OnePlus 8

Do not change the interface

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 15, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I don't really mind the change. I've been using DP3 for some time now.
    Design wise it may resemblance Samsung some... But everything is in the meny system is practically the same. No new cathergory navigation or moved around stuff completely...Just a face-lift. Perhaps a more modern touch. Sooner or later even "stock" android will change.... Changes may be smaller and more incremental... But they change too. Eventually a major redesign will happen.

Just look on other operative systems. Windows, iOS, Linux....
    Stuff change and evolve. When given the opertunity change it to your liking. When it comes to phones stuff like Lineage OS. When it comes to Linux you can practically have a desktop manager for every day of the week if you can't deside what you want.
    There have been resistance everywhere. IPhone users disliking some changes... Linux users disliking Gnome 3 evolution (that gave birth to different window managers based on Gnome 2.)

Back to Android... How big change is a bad change? Would a X year old design be good on a modern phone? How many years back do we need to go to dislike what we see?

Just look at Windows 7 and the evolution that lead to Windows 10. Should it always be like Windows 7? Some say yes. And some prefer Windows 10.

3. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 15, 2020

4. ArihantJha
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

ArihantJha , Aug 15, 2020 :
    On point

slishnevsky and yashsugandhi like this.
  5. ArihantJha
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

ArihantJha , Aug 15, 2020 :
    OnePlus 6t is my daily driver,
    The biggest reason why I chose it over Apple/Samsung is because of its smooth UI,
    But seeing the new OxygenOs 11 update, I don't think I'd prefer upgrading to OnePlus 8t
    So please don't **** the simplicity of OxygenOs for god sake, otherwise you'd lose a lot of customers.

6. A1577275579996
    Froyo Aug 16, 2020

A1577275579996 , Aug 16, 2020 :
    Their OS isn't even smooth right now, I've been using the OnePlus 7T Pro for more than 7 months now and I was promised an update to fix the frequent stutters I experienced while navigating through the UI, instead the update made everything worse, apps don't even open as fast as they did before, I'm done with OnePlus and switching to the next iPhone.

7. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 16, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 16, 2020 :
    I hear that every now and the on every Oneplus device I owned (7 Pro and 8 Pro). At the same time many others don't have the lagging issues, including me, excluding some apps falling back to 60Hz ratfher than 90 or 120Hz...
    And by the looks of it iPhone isn't immune to lagging devices for many users either... Just Google "iphone lagging after update" and it looks far away from a lag free utopia.
    Google "iphone battery drain", "iphone crashing" and so on... Even that hated "factory reset" solution for some issues...

Some users have little or no lag at all... Some are happy and some unhappy and have problems of all sorts. I think that exist on every brand. None unaffected. Apperently not even having a in house designed SoC helps.
    Maybe some lag cases have explainations while some are more complex. But most often it's not happening for everyone. I guess the same applies on iPhone.

Just my point of view when it comes to Oneplus vs Apple... I end up doing some stuff on iPhones at work. Helping a complete hopeless phone and computer owning guy at work... Both his and his wife's iPhones seemed laggy to me. One 7 and one 11. But I guess that is due to being spoiled on 120Hz on 8 Pro.
    And my personal preferences always make me prefer Android over iOS.

8. A1577275579996
    Froyo Aug 16, 2020

True but, I've been waiting for months for OnePlus to fix this issue and it's still there, on IOS, you get frequent updates fixing bugs etc but on Android, you get one once every 2-3 months which is frustrating, I just hope OnePlus fixes this bug in the upcoming oxygenos 11 otherwise, I'm buying an iPhone.

9. Aaditya_001 , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Aug 16, 2020 :
    What a coincidence man, I also used 3T for more than 3years and bought 8 in June. Also I recommend my family and my mom has 5 and dad uses OnePlus 6. I can say I honestly like the Ui of Oxygen Os 11. I don't mind if it copies samsung if it is for a better reason like easy usage with one handed mode. Just I am very upset with the main primary camera of OnePlus 8. My dad's OnePlus 6 takes better pictures than my OnePlus 8. Hope they make major improvements through software

Tarun Rag likes this.
  10. Swejuggalo

Some mysterious issues happen for some. Hard to say what causes your issue.

Some examples.

One that over and over got issues on his 7 series when upgrading to Android 10. Eventually he tried a factory reset. Skipping everything of backup and stuff... No Google backup. No Oneplus Switch. Suddenly even his bluetooth issues was gone. Everything was good. He recovered files he wanted to save manually.

A other one had heat issues while gaming PUGB. He tried "everything". He eventually gave up and gave the phone to his brother. Also playing PUGB. Similar useage. Same software version. Different person. Problem was gone. My guess. Different user data? No backup at all?

Strange things happen. While backups should not affect the experiance it apperently does sometimes. I'm a big fan of clean installs. If unlucky the "shortcut" provided by the backups cause more harm than good.
    Even a few incidents "on the dark side" so to speak [e]1f609[/e] Apple apperently upgraded 8 once but prevented all users that upgraded to a new device to use the backup. Opps [e]1f61c[/e] Probably exists more misshappenings and examples of issues with backups...

I almost expected an angry reply... Last time I replied on a post that mentioned Apple I practically was told to shut up and respect his opinion [e]1f61c[/e]

GaryWall likes this.
  11. A1577275579996
    Froyo Aug 16, 2020

I've reset my phone 4 times now but, the issue still persists, I'm not saying I prefer iOS over android, I have two android phones currently, a OnePlus 7T pro and a Samsung galaxy s20 5G, what I meant was that I would get rid of the OnePlus device if the issue remained after the android 11 update on it. The Samsung device, on the other hand feels more snappier/smoother and has better ram management as well, and btw, I'm not an isheep bro, that's offensive lol.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  12. Swejuggalo

Oh. Bummer. Wish I had a great tip that worked for you.
    My apologies [e]1f609[/e] You never know...

13. GaryWall
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2020

GaryWall , Aug 16, 2020 :
    I have heard of people "resetting" phones of different brands and getting the same “bugs” all over again. I have seen this happen with Samsung’s, Huawei’s, Xiaomi’s, OnePlus’s and other. What they REALLY do is reset and let Google restore an old backup or even manually restore a backup they have made themselves with another app. Often including system settings, apps and games. This will only reintroduce the same old settings in the system or in an app or game that caused the “bug” which in fact really is no bug in the OS, game or app at all, just a not so good setting that needs to be removed all together.

Gaming profiles can get damaged to the point that they need to be deleted, this happens and there is no point in shedding tears over this. Better start new with OS and apps before one blame the phone maker.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  14. J1596710363538
    Donut Aug 16, 2020

15. Swejuggalo

Exactly... And since I don't use either Google backup or Oneplus Switch I usually can't replicated nor have the issues as some other have.
    When having Google backup ON even a trial and error with uninstalling an app and then reinstalling it causes certain parts of app data to be redownloaded... And if that small part is the troublemaker...
    It's a shame really. But backups simply don't seem to be 100% problem free. No brand seems to be free of this issue.

I hear some complaints on wife's Samsung s20 plus... And ofcourse... Backed up data from several generations back. Never allowed to start fresh [e]1f609[/e]

16. Swejuggalo

What exactly is messed up? I hear many complaints but very few details on what they made wrong. I mostly just see a new graphics design. Most of stuff in the same place in all settings menus.. They didn't do a complete shuffle around with basically everything like Samsung. Old or new...open settings... Click here and there and both old and new gets you to the same place exactly the same way. Basically just a new look with a different style and shapes of the same menus with some one-handed adaptions.
    I call it modernisation. I really doubt Pixels look the same for ever either... I really doubt Lineage OS looks the same in 5 years either. Why are we not stuck with Android 5 design still today? No dark modes? No split screens....[e]1f609[/e] People scream and complains on not getting X and complains when getting Y. I guess it always will be that way

Tarun Rag likes this.
  17. J1596710363538
    Donut Aug 16, 2020

J1596710363538 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 16, 2020 :

Swejuggalo

What exactly is messed up? I hear many complaints but very few details on what they made wrong. I mostly just see a new graphics design. Most of stuff in the same place in all settings menus.. They didn't do a complete shuffle around with basically everything like Samsung. Old or new...open settings... Click here and there and both old and new gets you to the same place exactly the same way. Basically just a new look with a different style and shapes of the same menus with some one-handed adaptions.
    I call it modernisation. I really doubt Pixels look the same for ever either... I really doubt Lineage OS looks the same in 5 years either. Why are we not stuck with Android 5 design still today? No dark modes? No split screens....[e]1f609[/e] People scream and complains on not getting X and complains when getting Y. I guess it always will be that way​

Stock Android like Ui with new features will be great.....There was no need to change whole interface....like big headers (ex settings) and the weather app looks worst

when something ain't broke , don't fix it !!

By the way we welcome features like AOD and cool new wallpapers.

E1597646643442 and Swejuggalo like this.
  18. Swejuggalo

Personally I feel the weather app to look nice. That simplified painted stuff before was never really for me.

1597616347035.jpg
    And settings... It's only big until you start scrolling. It shrinks. A big emply space would look bad too. To make top area reachable with one hand I think it's a fairly good way to solve it. But there are places here and there that is not ready yet.

1597616382417.jpg

1597616382459.jpg

19. E1597646643442
    Cupcake Sep 17, 2020

E1597646643442 , Sep 17, 2020 :
    Exactly

I also bought my OnePlus device because of simplicity and feel of OxygenOs like stock android
    but after seeing the update, i am not so happy.

The accent color is changed to red and white, which to me feels more like of gaming or aggressive, i prefer the simple looking feel current OxyOs 10 over the new.

Implementing new internal features is a good idea, but changing overall look and feel is not. It's more ok like OneUi from samsung, if i would had prefer OneUi
    over OnePlus's then why would i go for OnePlus device, definitely i would have chosen samsung's device.

Definitely i am not planning to upgrade to Oxygen os 11 for now, rather i would use the current version of your os to get the same experience i already had.

I hope you respond to your customers.

Thank you.

Auris_ likes this.
  20. Auris_
    Cupcake Sep 17, 2020

Auris_ , Sep 17, 2020 :
    well, i gonna agree with author of thread, and guy above me, if i would want OneUI i would buy Samsung

H1576734797955 likes this.