[Review] GreatShield Flip Case with Card Slots

1. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 27, 2014

clement0102 , Sep 27, 2014 :
    Got the GreatShield flip case today through Amazon ($9.99 + Prime free shipping). Didn't see many reviews on it, so for those of you who are curious about this case, here's my first impression.

I bought this flip case mostly because I wanted a flip case with card slots, so that I can travel light without my wallet. I keep my driver licence and a credit card with my phone case, and I'm good for most days. I had a flip case with 2 card slots for my Galaxy Nexus, and it worked out great for me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The case came in a small shipping plastic package and a smaller zip locked bag. There is minimal packaging material, except a piece of styrofoam in the case.

[​IMG]

The phone fits in the case nice and snug. I did not have to use excessive force to put it in, but I don't think it will fall out of the case easily neither. The cards are also a snug fit, especially the first time I put them in. They certainly are not going to come out of their slots unless you pull on them.

[​IMG]

With two cards in the slots and the phone in the case, the height of the whole case does increase somewhat. I don't feel it's too bulky, but the cards are pushing slights against the screen, propping up the case cover slightly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top and bottom of the phone are not covered by the plastic case. The rubber outter case does protrude over the inner plastic case. So I feel the phone is pretty well protected. If the phone is dropped, chances are the impact will be absorbed first by the outer rubber case, then the inner plastic case.
    [​IMG]

Finally the case does bend in the back, letting the phone "sit-up" for viewing movies and such. The only thing holding the phone up is friction on the bottom.

Final Thoughts:
    The phone does bulk up a bit with two cards inside. I don't mind it, it still beats carrying my wallet. Plus it's pretty cheap at $10, and I feel like this was a good purchase for me.

Pro:
    - It fits my need for carrying two cards with my phone case
    - The screen is protected by the flip cover, the phone is protected by the outer and inner case
    - The outer case feels like hard rubber, pretty smooth on the outside, and got a more gripy texture on the inside. I think it feels nice.

Con:
    - The snap-on magnet is a little annoying when the case is opened. It just dangles there. There is nowhere else on the case for it to adhere to once the case is in the open position. I don't know whether it will erase credit card strips, I will update this review if it does (and I will be pissed).
    - The slots are designed to fit one card each, so two cards in total. I tried to jam another card in there, and it gets REALLY tight. The slots feels like it may loosen up a bit with use, which maybe good if you wanna jam 3 cards in there.

2. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 27, 2014

3. Goran+
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2014

clement0102 likes this.
  4. Boricua
    Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2014

clement0102 likes this.
  5. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 30, 2014

clement0102 , Sep 30, 2014 :
    I think you will like it.

6. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 30, 2014

I'm getting more used to it now, especially since the magnet holds the whole thing together pretty well.

7. mwoolley
    Jelly Bean Sep 30, 2014

8. btoblan
    Honeycomb Sep 30, 2014

btoblan , Sep 30, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review. I appreciate your taking the time to write it.

A question: How well does the "sit up to watch movie" mode work? Does the phone tend to slide out and fall flat? I have a Galaxy Note that does that and it's a bit of a pain...

9. jimmyst
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 30, 2014

jimmyst , Sep 30, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. I ordered the same case and expect it to arrive soon. Couple of questions: Without the cards inside does it still feel bulky? How are the holes for the buttons especially the volume ones? Are they easily accessible?

10. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 30, 2014

you know the blue color is so dark sometimes I think it looks black/grey with a blue tint.

11. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 30, 2014

I've used that mode a few times, as long as you put it on a flat surface, like a desk, it should be fine I havent had a problem. But if you use it in a car/train/plane, it may slide off more easily.

12. clement0102
    Froyo Sep 30, 2014

It doesnt feel bulky with just a phone inside. It's pretty sleek actually. I think you will like it too. I don't have a problem with accessing the buttons, but the volume ones are near the "hinged" side, so you may need to flip the cover back to better access it. But I rarely use the volume buttons...and with double tap to wake, I barely use any button at all.

jimmyst likes this.
  13. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Sep 30, 2014

sp99 and TeamValor91 like this.
  14. TeamValor91
    Community Veteran Sep 30, 2014

gusuraman and sp99 like this.
  15. btoblan
    Honeycomb Sep 30, 2014

btoblan , Sep 30, 2014 :
    Thanks! Maybe I'll give it a try..

16. jimmyst

jimmyst , Sep 30, 2014 :
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Can't wait to get mine. :)

17. Linanc7
    Lollipop Sep 30, 2014

Linanc7 , Sep 30, 2014 :
    Nice review and thank you! Just wanted to mention that I have had magnets strip cards in the past but this shouldn't be a problem if you're careful. How protective do you think it is, I like the looks but am willing to forgo appearance for protection.

18. Jon Roth

Jon Roth , Sep 30, 2014 :
    I've got this case in grey, very happy
    I've got this case in grey, I'm very happy with the case. the OPO fits well all the holes in the right place, I haven't used the credit cards slots, did't know if the cards would damage the screen when closed. Know where your are coming from re the flappy magnet.

19. Ole Q
    Donut Sep 30, 2014

20. clement0102
    Froyo Oct 1, 2014

clement0102 , Oct 1, 2014 :
    I think it offers great protection since its got an outer rubber case and an inner plastic case. Im waiting for a glass screen protector too. Havent dropprd it by accident but I feel pretty safe.