[REVIEW] Me and the one : impressions, thoughts etc

1. Armand
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2014

Armand , Jul 25, 2014 :
    Introduction

Invites to give out : NO
    Yellow tint : YES

To begin with, i registered here 25 february, and finally got my hands onto it the 18 of july, i waited for almost 5 months. I'm here since before the announcement and i received my invite the 30 june like others. I ordered it this day and takes 10 days to ship to france with express:(

I wasn't able to get it before the 18 so after one week of use including tweaks, rom switching, personnalization etc i'm now ready to give you a little recap on my experience by specific points, enjoy :D

Special Thanks

• Members :

@Warr10r7
    @Andrew1988
    @spaceworker
    @cocococococo
    @Manoj III Kumar for all the good moments passed here, great support and conversations ;)

• Devs :
    @Moose0704 for such a great rom and support

Review
    1. Unboxing and accessories
    2. The phone itself
    3. Sofware
    4. Personnalization
    5. Conclusion
    PART 1/2

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

2. Armand

Armand , Jul 25, 2014 :
    I/Unboxing and accessories

The package is very premium, it screams quality and there are no mistakes here.
    The one is good protected by several good looking boxes. You have first the carton box with the oneplus logo to open it and then a red oneplus box the white and red box including the phone, sim tool and usb charging cable.
    The charger comes in an other box but like other members it doesn't work for me :(
    It's not a big deal because i have other chargers but it's bad that oneplus doesn't take care about this.

I purchased a rhinoshield, a nillkin case from the bay and a dbrand camera skin.

The rs is a little expensive but worth the try as it has a great feeling and gives a good protection covering the all front of the phone even if it's a little difficult for me to push all the bubbles away of the screen. Coming with a good customer service it's definitly a premium screen protector.
    The nillkin case doesn't cost too much, it's 5€ on ebay and comes from the bay so it takes 2 weeks to ship but you have a screen protector for free. The case is in hard plastic and provides a good fit, it's not the most protective.
    I buyed a dbrand matte black camera skin to prevent the camera from scratchs etc, it does the job well and costed me 5€ with international shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

II/The phone itself

My first reaction was really a "wow" effect, the design is nearly perfect and the size is not a problem for me.
    The plastic or metal like frame with the screen put onto it gives to the phone a look just awesome and elegant, the screen looks nice off..
    Yes, i have the yellow tint problem and.. that sucks. I tried trickersmod, kernels etc but i didn't find any good solution for the moment :(
    The back of the device is very nice and have an unique feeling, no problems on this point.
    The camera takes great shoots, the exmor captor does the job well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HDR
    [​IMG]
    WITHOUT
    [​IMG]
    Low light

[​IMG]

III
    /Software

Cm11s impressions

"It's very fluid, fast and confortable. There are nice features like statusbar toogles (not in settings), privacyguard and theme engine, i don't like a lot the custom apps with the 11s version, i prefer the stock app purpose of cm11."

Madhi-Rom impressions

"I just flashed your rom today in replacement of pa, just awesome, really !
    I will update for battery but in first impressions it seems better by far, because there is peek, cm options + themes engines and a lot of customization.
    It's a super complete rom very smooth and fast, can't wait to flash fk, for now between cm and pa it's the best, congrats and keep up the good job"

I've not only tested cm and madhi but also pa, slimkat and calkulin's.
    PA was like between cm and madhi in terms of functionnalities. There are more options like peek and hover but not all the tweaks that we can see in madhi. It's a smooth reliable rom.
    Slimkat was apealing me by the "less is more" philosophy but it was too buggy in my case, with a more tablet like ui, i wanted a more stable rom.
    Calkulin's rom is a lot like cm but a little tweaked with cpu and so the battery life is pretty good.

Cm11s --> PA --> Madhi --> Slimkat --> Calkulin's --> Madhi (benchmark down)

[​IMG]

Battery

Whatever the rom the battery is very good, even if madhi by default is not as good as cm for first charges.. With a custom kernel like franco or furnace no problems, battery life is very good in little use, will see for other usages :)

Madhi + FK :

[​IMG]

Yellow tint

After switching roms etc yellow tint is still here and it's definitly an hardware issue. I didn't try uv lights or something like that bcause i don't want to put my phone a long time to the sun, i prefer yellow tint over no colours at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IV/Personnalization

I've done nothing too tweaked for the moment but i really like minimal homescreens, using zooper for sure, icon packs, themes etc
    I personnaly use the "fi" theme bootanimation with the overall "bliancco" from mlv cm theme.
    Some tweaks are coming from madhi-rom, like lockscreen "lock" icon.
    Icon pack is "click ui", wallpapers from "paranoid android" app or wallbase
    Zooper "creative pack" or included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V/Conclusion

Well, this phone definitly worth the price, even if waiting time has been long.
    It's very premium in all aspects and a lot of possibilities are already availables with extended development.
    The only cons i would give to this phone are the yellow tint obviously, and avaibility.
    Oneplus is not a perfect company, that's sure but i think and believe that they are improving these days, we just have to understand that and deal with it.
    I bless all members to spend great moments here, waiting or not, I hope that you will enjoy this review ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

driller, dracinn, Warr10r7 and 2 others like this.
  3. cocococococo
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2014

cocococococo , Jul 25, 2014 :
    You have done a lot of things with your phone! I think I will just use it like it comes, but I like to hear from you so I could do something interesting at the end, rooting/roms/etc are new things for me... pa is the OPOs operative system or something like that? I just read something about an alternative from OPO but the giroscope didn't work and I didn't like it. But actually I don't know if I am going to need to do any special thing of those to my phone. Just I like to read something more about to increase my knowledge!
    I am waiting for your pictures and updates! Thanks

driller and Armand like this.
  4. Manoj III Kumar

Armand likes this.
  5. Andrew1988

Armand likes this.
  6. Armand

Armand , Jul 25, 2014 :
    Thank you for the kindly words, rooting is interesting for sure, i hope that helps you, pictures will come :)

I hope so

Pleasure is mine, thanks ;)

7. Warr10r7

Warr10r7 , Jul 25, 2014 :
    @Armand,

Great review, not that I'm surprised. :)

You certainly did go through a few ROMs in a matter of a week. Glad you ended up finding one you like. That is the beauty of having multiple ROM options, different people have different preferences so you end up with something for everyone. Give it a few more months and not only will there be more choices but also the current ones will mature further. We have to remember that they haven't been working with the OPO for very long at all.

As for the yellow tint, if it hasn't started to fade by now, I would suggest that you try the UV fix. To be clear, this is not leaving it in the sun. That would be bad. At worst, you could damage the electronics, and at best you are hurting your battery life. The recommended approach is using either a UV curing machine (found in shops that replace screens) or else a UV nail curing machine (found in nail salons or some have home versions). They don't produce any real heat. In fact, for most of them they are using LED UV lights that produce next to no heat. It is the UV light that interacts with the glue to help it cure properly and diminish the yellow splotch affect. Now of course, the OPO has an overall warmer hue to it and the placement of the lights at the bottom will mean that there will always be a deviation along the bottom. That said, it shouldn't be noticeable in daily use. Only when you are looking for it. As you know, mine came with a very slight yellow tint issue that went away after a few days. @dracinn, received a unit that had a bad yellow tint issue but as you can see from his thread, he reluctantly tried the UV fix and it worked for his phone. This doesn't mean that it will work in all cases, only that it is a safe trial that may help. In other words you have nothing to loose. The hard part of course is finding a machine you can use. The home versions are weaker so it takes longer (up to an hour) but perhaps a family member or friend has gel nails and has one you can borrow.

Anyway, thank you for the shout out and I look forward to the seeing more from you (including those problematic pics ;)).

Cheers...

Armand likes this.
  8. Armand

cocococococo likes this.
  9. Armand
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 26, 2014

Armand , Jul 26, 2014 :
    Hey, thank you first for your impressions, then for the yellow tint it might be the solution.
    Why not if they're no damages, it just appears to be difficult with the machine as you said.
    I'll look about these, trying to find a solution. I'll keep you updated ;)

Warr10r7 likes this.
  10. erictjf
    KitKat Jul 26, 2014

erictjf , Jul 26, 2014 :
    Congrax on getting yourself the OnePlus One! :D
    Let's hope that your yellow tint would be gone in no time

Armand likes this.
  11. driller
    Gingerbread Aug 1, 2014

driller , Aug 1, 2014 :
    I realy like your absolute hacker zooper theme. Would you be willing to share it?

Armand likes this.
  12. Armand
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2014

Armand , Aug 1, 2014 :
    Zooper : included templates = barcode battery + digital clock (7x2)

Nova launcher prime : 10x7

Wallpaper : from "wallbase" app searching black i guess or google it ;)